Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95
Lightbulb screen door

Have any of you ever had a problem with the 'cheap' sliders on the screen doors of the Hi Lo or many of the other Campers? This is our third Hi Lo and each and every one has had a problem with the little slider, namely it will pop out of the track when opening or closing. It will bind up when opening and forcing it will cause it to come out of the tracks. It will blow out, or it will fall out when the screen door is slammed hard enough for the latch to catch.

The major problem that I see is the [4] flimsy little tabs that are sort of dog eared and fit into the upper and lower slider channels. Over time they wear down and 9 out of 10 attempts in opening or closing will result in the slider popping out. It is so aggravating!

I came up with an idea that I tried yesterday and so far, so good. I had a 5/64" piece of cable left over from a recent garage door latch installation so I cut it to the length of the bottom slider track and just dropped it in the slot. I reinstalled the slider, and it works great. It actually closes and opens better since there is now plastic sliding over metal and there is no drag whatsoever. I used this size cable since I had it, a slightly larger size could be used

This is not a problem that applies to just Hi Lo Trailers but the problems I've experienced have been with the [3] Hi Lo's that we've owned.

I am hopeful that the gentleman who bought the rights to Hi Lo and plans on building new trailers will take this little troublesome problem into consideration when building the new trailers.

Jerry & Carol Curtis
2406 T
Fredericksburg, TX

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #2

Default Replace with clear

We replaced our white pieces of the screen door with clear lexon (plexi-glass). Now we don't have an obstruction.

WMJ

wmjbuying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #3

I took your advice and replaced mine with Plexi too. The plexi that Home Depot sells came in 8" x 10". The sliding piece was 8 1/4 - so I put in a small piece of wire in the track as Jerry and Carol mentioned. Worked great and looks better than new.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:19 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to captbobster

I found clear replacements for the slider and the non movable piece at our local RV store. They fit better and look better.
2011 Toyota Sequoia
captbobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #5

just don't slam the door very hard... I hav'nt had any problems with both campers doing this.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #6

People have the tendency to pull the screen door shut by holding onto the slide and over time it will let go. There should be a pull handle on the latch side for pulling the door shut, at least there is one on our door. Only do the pushing or pulling on the handle or door frame.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote