Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 05-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #1

Default Storage under upper bunk

I'm new here and I searched for this idea for storage. I didn't find one like this that came with this 1709 T Hi-Lo I just bought. Under the upper bunk, the previous owners attached a cargo net and it is very useful for clothes, pillows, books even. I wish I could claim this idea, but I can't.

Also in the bathroom the POs had hung two collapsible shoe bags from the shower track on each side of the toilet. It is good for all sorts of items. When the trailer is lowered the two bags slide around to the front of the bathroom and dangle over the sink. When the trailer is down a foot or so, the bag bottoms are moved off the sink/counter so as to drape into the open area in front of the toilet...pretty clever and you do not have to unload them.
Scotty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cargo Net.jpg (183.0 KB, 30 views)

Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
sam

Default Nice storage ideas

I think we all have come up with some mods for storage. In a trailer the small size of yours organization is key.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:51 AM   #3

yes Sam, I'd agree organization is key. There are some great ideas in this forum - Jack's drawers in the wardrobe, hooks on the walls. We don't have a microwave in ours, but we will probably add one. I think they went in the cabinet in the kitchen? My last trailer I built a drop-down shelf for a micro and that worked quite well.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:38 PM   #4
sam

Default Microwave

I don't have a microwave that is built in on my 1990 25ft. Classic. I have one that we transport in a plastic box. Then it is placed on top of the refrigerator. My unit has a stove /oven. If I ever got another RV I would get one with an oven. So many kitchen gadgets to consider. Air Fryer,convection microwave,instapot and pressure cooker just to name a few.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:18 AM   #5

I like the idea of a micro in a box and then putting it on the refrigerator.

I wonder if anyone has added drop-down shelves to their Hi-Lo. Sort of like a drop leaf table.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I'm new here and I searched for this idea for storage. I didn't find one like this that came with this 1709 T Hi-Lo I just bought. Under the upper bunk, the previous owners attached a cargo net and it is very useful for clothes, pillows, books even. I wish I could claim this idea, but I can't.

Also in the bathroom the POs had hung two collapsible shoe bags from the shower track on each side of the toilet. It is good for all sorts of items. When the trailer is lowered the two bags slide around to the front of the bathroom and dangle over the sink. When the trailer is down a foot or so, the bag bottoms are moved off the sink/counter so as to drape into the open area in front of the toilet...pretty clever and you do not have to unload them.
Scotty
Neat idea. Thanks
Mainjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
sam

Default Traveling with microwave.

The big plastic box sits on the dinette/bed and doesn't move around when we are traveling. The dinette is a perminent bed for DD/Adult. The micro glass turntable is packed in the original styrofoam. Probably bought it at Walmart some years ago. Not a fancy one as we just use it for heating/reheating food. I tend to cook at home and just reheat. Probably much cheaper than a factory installed one.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #8

I have found this to be my favorite storage/packing item to date. I put the clothes in my house and then just carry this and hang in the closet. Saves me from packing a bag and unpacking https://youtu.be/1aNdAngINn0 plus instant dirty laundry hamper
baileys08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:17 PM   #9

Bailey, that is a great idea and lead me to search for other hanging/collapsible shelves. Then it occurred to me that if I got two hanging shelves (they are very light-weight, about 3#) and two telescoping closet rods and mounted the closet rods parallel to one another and hang the two shelves - one on each rod. Then when you opened the door, you would see the side of two folding shelves. One for me and one for DW. Grab a shelf and pull it out to access your stuff. This whole affair would weigh maybe 12 lbs empty and fill the wardrobe almost completely with stuff. And it would cost about $120 or so. Here's a link to a shelf: https://www.amazon.com/Stow-N-Go-Por...1GK0XZY3W36V3M
Old 07-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #10

Scotty, I have to ask... did you purchase your 17T from the teacher couple who traveled the country for a year with it? When we were looking to purchase a trailer, I did a lot of research and bought a 17T from a fellow in Texas when I stumbled upon the blog of their journey. Then right after we bought ours, I saw theirs for sale on Craig’s List. I had looked at their blog because I am also towing with a Honda Pilot, and the blog came up in my search results. I was really impressed with the cargo net idea too!

We are driving home now from our maiden voyage to the NC/VA border (maybe not too far from you?) We live in Northern VA, and will be back again in 2 weeks.

Fellow 17T peeps,
Dawn
Jamocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:40 AM   #11

Yes Dawn that is the one we bought. We are taking our maiden voyage to Vermont tomorrow! I trust you had a great trip? If there's any tips you discovered on the 17T, let us know? Our first night out will be at Otter Peaks campground on the Blue Ridge and then to see a few covered bridges as we work our way northward to Penn and NY.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #12

Memory foam or air mattresses for the cushions for sure! You are smart to be going north - we were so hot last week! Make sure the jack crank and the manual override rod for the lift system are accessible even with the top down bc you very well may need them to lift her up. Enjoy your trip!!

Jamocomom is offline   Reply With Quote