Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 10-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #1

Default Trailer Storage Covers

Hi. Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but I am looking for recommendations for a cover to put over my 2507C - it is stored outside in my side yard, and I would like some protection for it. Many thanks, Andy

Old 10-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #2

I have mine stored outside under a canopy like garage

PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #3

I have thought about using one of those free-standing canopies which are typically about 20 feet by 8 feet? I like the idea of those because there is good air circulation. The fitted trailer covers don't appear to have that feature; if moisture were to get between the cover and the trailer it could create a mold problem, etc. I will have to price one.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #4

I am putting sides and front and rear panels on it this yr. Last yr we got alot of snow and we couldn't find the town until the spring planting season.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I am putting sides and front and rear panels on it this yr. Last yr we got alot of snow and we couldn't find the town until the spring planting season.
I'm in N. California - don't have a snow problem. We have "other" problems, though....

I see Camping World sells a cover made for the Hi-Lo for about $180 - maybe I'll give that a whirl.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2507C View Post
I'm in N. California - don't have a snow problem. We have "other" problems, though....

I see Camping World sells a cover made for the Hi-Lo for about $180 - maybe I'll give that a whirl.
Don't waste your money!

The ONLY cover I would recommend is one made of "Sunbrella" fabric. I have one on our 1707T, and it's been in the Tucson sun for three years now. Still looks and feels new. No problem with trapped moisture, because it "breaths" (though we don't really get a lot of rain here). Camping Wold sells these too - and or course they cost a lot more. But, they fit very nicely. I'll try to take a picture of ours tomorrow and post it.

We also have Sunbrella outdoor furniture and it has held up beautifully.

- Jack
Old 10-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
Site Team

Hurray! My rapidly fading brain cells functioned for once and I remembered to post pictures.

The cover is made by Adco and is made of Sunbrella fabric. The fabric is very sturdy and has not ripped or been cut at all during installation or removal. It shows no sign of deterioration in the Tucson sun. It is secured to the trailer by three straps that pass underneath, but I find I don't need to use the center strap at all.

It has a zippered door opening you might just be able to see that I use all the time for inside access. To raise the top, I just release the end strap buckles and lift the corners of the cover up over the corners of the trailer. This raises the "hem" enough that it won't catch on the bottom half of the trailer and I can just leave it in place when I raise the top.

- Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailer1.jpg (97.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Trailer2.jpg (98.4 KB, 115 views)
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #8

Thanks Jack! That's a good referral. We get rain for about 2 to 3 months of the year, and a breathable fabric would be good. Mostly, the trailer sits on the south side of our house and gets a lot of sun. Apparently CW has a sale on right now, so the timing is good (an early Xmas present!)

Andy
Old 11-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #9

Default Covers

Hello,
If you order a cover, make sure you measure your trailer for the proper fit. I just bought a 1998 Towlite 24 footer. The seller gave me the one year old ADCO cover he bought. When I installed it, there was at least 4 or 5 feet extra length to it. I'm betting when he ordered it, he said the trailer was 24 feet, when in fact, the trailer body only measures around 19 feet. The rounded corners of the cover hang way off the trailer on each end, but I'm using it. Better too long than too short, I suppose.
fish56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandrobie View Post
Jack,,,,,,,,,,just curious, have you ever checked the temperature inside your camper in the summer while it is in the storage mode? Jim
Hi Jim -

Sorry, I didn't notice your question until just now. In fact I HAVE checked the temperature but I cannot give you exact figures. I know it stays cooler DOWN with the cover on than UP with the cover off (by at least 10 degrees as I recall). I have a digital thermometer inside and I always look at it whenever I go into the trailer.

Anyway, my guess is the inside is cooler because the windows do not open on the interior with the top down and, the cover does provide extra "shading" all over. How much of the effect is due to the cover is not clear to me.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #11

Default ADCO Covers

Don't buy the cheap ADCO cover; it will fall apart if you use it in the SUN! It will last 2 years and then start falling apart!
sayhonkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

I had an ADCO cover until the West Texas winds got a hold of it. I am now using a Tyvek that I am pretty happy with. One thing to consider is to pad any sharp edges. I use pieces of styrofoam and press it onto the gutters and any other edge that may cut through the cover.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #13

Default Hi-Lo cover

I have used a Sun Brella cover from Calmark for three years now with no problems. You can see them at: CalMark Cover - RV Covers, Custom RV Covers, Auto Covers, Tire covers, Ready Fit The winters here in northern Ohio can be pretty bad and the wind, I live across the street from Lake Erie, can also be very strong. The house gives the trailer some protection, but it still gets a good test every winter. This cover was worth the price. I tried Adco covers on my previous pop-up trailer, and they never made it through the second season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 063.jpg (99.8 KB, 7 views)
rogerssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
sam

Default Trailer cover

Our 90 classic is too old for a cover. Camping world catalog will show you the different fabrics that are available for different parts of the country.Do an internet search for the best price. I agree sunbrella is an excelleny fabric. We have always kept the tires covered with adco tire covers. Covers are cheaper than new tires due to uv damage. Members of the camping club have told us that they use pool noodles to support the cover from being too tight a fit. Use extra padding on the air conditioner ect. In other words anything that sticks out has the potential to tear the cover. Feel free to chime in on the extra padding that is needed. One of our members had a cover that was to big. They took it to a canvas boat shop and they cut and stitched it to the correct size. If your unit isn't covered a good wash and wax job helps get it through the winter. We also use a foam snow brush to push excess snow off the top and we always store it in the down position.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #15

Hi Sam,

Not sure what you mean when you write that your '90 Classic is too old for a cover. I cover our '69 Bon Voyage (had to modify a longer one as did your club friends) and not only does it keep it cleaner over the winter, but I really believe its helped preserve the paint on the aluminum siding. Personally I would highly recommend seasonal covering, especially if your trailer has fiberglass sides or roof.

Unfortunately, like sayhonkman, I bought an Adco cover and am really disappointed. The thing is made to start falling apart after two seasons of use. I've duct taped and patched and babied it for 5 years now and its just too shredded to make it through another winter.

I'm thinking of having a the next one made of boat cover material. Still looking into the breathability of this stuff before I commit. Folks I know that use it on their boat tell me it will stand up for 15 - 20 years (in our neck of the woods). Hah, I tend to think long term... and expect our Hi-Lo's to keep rolling for at least 40 years between trade-ins!

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #16
sam

Default Covers for hilo

When we got our HiLo we decided that the condition of the fiberglass siding didn't warrant $ 400.00 for a cover. At that time it would have to be custum made.Now I could buy one already made.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #17

Jack

Like you, I have a 17foot towlite. I was wondering what size cover you ordered. I see some of them are listed as up to 22 feet. Also I checked Campers World website and I could not find one made out of the Sunbrella material you mentioned. One site said that the ADCO RV covers are made from either Dupont Tyvek or SFS Aquashed material. Most people seem to recommend the Sunbrella material over others. Is the Sunbrella cover water proof and would you mind sharing ballpark cost of the cover?

Thanks
Dean
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
2011 Chevy Silverado with ARE cap
Western Virginia
watinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #18

We had Coleman campers with Sunbrella canvas. It is waterproof and breathable like Gortex. It is high quality material. There are covers made specifically for Hi-Lo and as you know a 17' Hi-Lo is not the same size as a 17' regular trailer. Maybe a call to Adco would be your best bet for information. http://www.adcoprod.com/custom_fabrics_sunbrella.htm
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by watinva View Post
Jack

Like you, I have a 17foot towlite. I was wondering what size cover you ordered. I see some of them are listed as up to 22 feet. Also I checked Campers World website and I could not find one made out of the Sunbrella material you mentioned. One site said that the ADCO RV covers are made from either Dupont Tyvek or SFS Aquashed material. Most people seem to recommend the Sunbrella material over others. Is the Sunbrella cover water proof and would you mind sharing ballpark cost of the cover?

Thanks
Dean
Hi Dean - I seem to remember the price at about $500 shipped. My cover still looks like new, so it's holding up well in the Arizona sun.

I actually talked to someone at ADCO, and I was in Camping World at the time so I don't have the number (they dialed it). I told the guy what trailer I had and he knew exactly what cover I needed. He also told me NOT to get a Tyvek or Aquashed cover, since they would fall apart in a couple years.

I don't think they sell direct, so you'll probably have to get it through a dealer like Camping World.

I see from their website they still manufacture Sunbrella covers though.

- Jack