Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #1

Default Vortex exhaust fan upgrade

Vortex exhaust fan upgrade kit

Rating of product: 5 stars out of 5

Eaze of installation: Very Easy

The vortex fan is a great upgrade for your outdated exhaust fan if you don't need to replace the entire vent. Since it installs completly on the inside, there is no compromising the rooftop seal.

The main body of the fan sits flush with the ceiling even with the one inch thick roof system I have on my towlite, but the light from the outside is cut in half because of the shroud around the fan.

The fan blade, removable screen (which is a twist-lock design makes it easy to clean with no screws to remove) & crank knob protrudes one inch down from the ceiling.

Even with 12v power at the vent, I had to add 12" of wire because the power switch was on the opposite side.

The vortex fan may not move as much air or as quietly as the "fantasic fan" but you can't beat the price. It is an excellent upgrade with better air flow and less noise compaired to my old powered vent.

Les 97 21ft towlite 06 Toyota tocoma

campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #2

Default MaxxFan Upgrade

I chose to replace the front vent with a 10 speed MaxxAir with the manual lift. It seemed to be the best all around solution.

The MaxxAir instructions ( MaxxFan Deluxe Manual Opening | Latest ) are excellent and the installation took less than 30 minutes. The most difficult steps are removing the roof caulk and cutting the flange. Hi-Lo was thoughtful enough to have the wiring already in place at the front roof vent opening ... thank you Hi-Lo! Otherwise I would have had to tie the fan wiring into the existing fluorescent ceiling light.

The fan, caulk and sealant were available at the best price I could find at CampWorld ... It is not cheep (about $250.00) but being we seldom hook to shore power the fan will be wonderful on hot nights when the AC can't run.

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote