Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #1

Default We're thinking of these mods. Any comments?

We have a 24-foot, 2001 Hi-Lo Tow-Lite, and we're at a (figurative) crossroads. We can either modify the trailer so that it is convenient for us, or we can sell it and buy something else (or just stay in motels).

Here's what we're considering in the way of mods:

1) Replace the gas oven with a microwave. We don't use the oven and never will, but we want a microwave. Sure, we could buy a cheap unit at Wal-Mart and use it as a countertop appliance, but we are trying to de-clutter our trailer so that we are more likely to use it. Question: Can we keep the countertop burners, or are the oven and burners a single unit?

2) Mount a flip-down TV on the ceiling, probably between the A/C unit and the bathroom. Sure, I'd have to duck even when the unit was folded up, but that would (probably) be better than setting up a flat screen on the kitchen counter in the evening. (Memo to me: check whether flip-downs have DVD or Blu-ray players built in.)

Question: Is the rooftop antenna compatible with digital TV broadcasts? Do we need to replace it?

3) Since there are just two of us, eliminate the bunk bed that's suspended from the ceiling so that we can add cabinets at the end of the trailer.

4) Question: Has anyone figured out a safe, spill-proof way to store dishes permanently so that they are handy once stopped? We bought a set of dishes that we unpack each time we pull into an RV park, and then we pack them up in their straight-from-the-factory cardboard box before leaving -- and my wife is fed up with the process. She wants to put them in some kind of cabinet or cage that can be latched when the trailer is being towed.

I'm not a carpenter/electrician kind of guy, so I would have the work done by a professional RV service person; I'd have a local cabinet shop make the cabinets.

TexasJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

The oven can be removed but removing the oven control leaves holes in the face plate, this can also be replaced. But due to high RV dealer labor costs it might be more cost effective to remove the whole unit and then replace the counter top. You need to check with a RV dealer and get their opinion.
The flip down TV was and option from HI-LO but was a small unit.
We have a 2209 and the antenna works fine for digital. There is an add on piece for the Winegard antenna that claims to extend range.
The bunk bed was and option and so were cabinets on the sides where the bunk bed is.
If you search the internet and look at used HI-LOs you will fine pictures of all the changes that you talked about, probably not on the same trailer but all were HI-LO options. So your plans are doable.
We have a 95 also and believe it or not we liked it some what better even though the lay out is the same. The 2209 has an oven which we wanted and more options than the 95 had.

PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #3

Default Thank you!

Thank you for the reply. Most helpful.
TexasJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #4

We have a 2505C w/bunk and there is just the two of us- our bunk mattress is under our bed at home, so that leaves plenty of storage room on the bunk area. Our antenna has a booster, and works very well- we did have to get a digital converter. My dishes are the unbreakable type- so no problem there. We had a microwave put in the bottom shelve to the left of the sink. We kept the cabinet door in case we ever needed it. We have the oven w/stove top- the oven area is storage- cooked toast in it our first trip out 5 years ago- that's it. We do tote a toaster over- which we rarely use, but if we do usually it's outside. Since we cook and freeze most of our meals for camping, the microwave is the way we "cook" usually. As for the TV- hubby made a triangle tv holder that fits in the corner of the dinette (our bed), works great, sits on the the shelve made by the joining of the top and bottom halves. We have spent weeks very comfortably in our wonderful cozy trailer- that's just right for us.
Pipers Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #5

My wife uses a rubberized material that looks like mesh and comes in a roll. It is a gripper type material that she cuts to size. She places it in the cabinets to hold things in place while traveling. She also puts it between the plates, saucers, bowls, etc. You can get it at Lowes, Home Depot, or Wally World (Walmart). We haven't lost any dishes yet.
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #6

I use a white wire corner unit for the dishes. Have metal splatterware. Stay in easily.
Cheri
dgsloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #7

So TexasJohn how did the Mods come out? It has been a year. Overstock.com has a great selection of Car TVs. Our '95 Hi-Lo didn't have an oven which ticked off my wife. Our previous slide in truck camper had one and we used it twice in 10 years.

Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote