Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 07-26-2018, 06:22 PM   #1

Default Where to put Generator

I finally installed a front hitch.
(My rear factory Mopar class III hitch broke, so I welded it to the front. Frame is same width in the front of the Dodge truck, so it fit. Mounted upsidedown and welded to the truck frame.)

I built a tray for my generator to fit into the receiver hitch.

Here is photos:

Generator tray made from scrap angle iron, and an old receiver insert. The rust will be cleaned and pained later.

With generator sittin in its place.
I ran, permanent, a heavy gauge power cord from the front bumper to the rear, an extension cord of sorts. I will make a very short extension cord to connect the gen to this truck mounted cord, then just plug trailer into the cord at the rear.
Generator can run, stay locked on, not be noisy for inside the camper and not (hopefully) vibrate the camper. Always on the truck, so no packing or unpacking.
I chose to make one rather than use a store bought luggage tray as mine is smaller and I can just remove the whole assembly, gen and tray if I need to move the generator somewhere and run it.

I chose to let someone better at welding weld the hitch on. $150

Old 07-31-2018, 02:22 PM   #2

Finished it. I am using a Rubbermaid storage container as the cover for now. Does not look nice, but fits perfect and does the job. suggestions on a better cover?

Painted

The silver rod is the lock mechanism. It runs through holes on the strap that goes over, so prevents the strap from lifting. Two pipes welded to frame keep the bar from moving.
The loop the lock bolts through is half of a chain link. Homedepot has a bucket full of these cut links so I got a few for free.

[IMG][/IMG]
Underside.
The loops keep the gen from being lifted over the frame and slid out, which might not be possible even without the loops. And loops can be used for lifting it out, or for straps to hold it down too. There is a pipe that the silver rod goes through, and I welded a plate over that to keep the pipe from being hammered off, but it is welded on pretty good.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marininn View Post
Finished it. I am using a Rubbermaid storage container as the cover for now. Does not look nice, but fits perfect and does the job. suggestions on a better cover?

Painted

The silver rod is the lock mechanism. It runs through holes on the strap that goes over, so prevents the strap from lifting. Two pipes welded to frame keep the bar from moving.
The loop the lock bolts through is half of a chain link. Homedepot has a bucket full of these cut links so I got a few for free.

[IMG][/IMG]
Underside.
The loops keep the gen from being lifted over the frame and slid out, which might not be possible even without the loops. And loops can be used for lifting it out, or for straps to hold it down too. There is a pipe that the silver rod goes through, and I welded a plate over that to keep the pipe from being hammered off, but it is welded on pretty good.
Clever, looks good!
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marininn View Post

Painted

[IMG][/IMG]
Underside.
For a better cover , have a sheetmetal shop that does HVAC build one to your specs send me PM if your near San fransico Bay Area
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #5

Hvac was my original thought. THen i put the storage box on it and realized i was finished.