Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 07-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

Default Where to start? 1989 20' with water damage

I bought it from a guy down the road 4 years ago. He had repaired a roof leak, but never fixed the walls. My daughter had been "living" in it while finishing nursing school (large family, it gave her more privacy!) until last fall. Then my son moved back home for a couple months before moving cross country.

Just now got around to getting all their left over junk out, and giving it a good cleaning. It's got more water damage. lowered it for the first time in forever, and there are small holes all over the side of the roof, and some on top. the seal needs replacing. the guy rigged it with garage door stuff, and even that is falling apart now.

the whole back end/bathroom needs to be gutted. Floor is about the only thing solid (the guy that I bought it from had recently replaced the floor/toilet) ceiling is soft, the walls are soft and the back "shelf" is crumbling (this is where the original water damage was mostly).

The wall behind the sink is also soft, and while the ceiling on the inside doesnt feel squishy, it is on the outside towards the back (betweeen the ac and bathroom section). I wouldn't trust it to hold weight.

some of the interior lights no longer work, assuming from the water damage at the bathroom since those are the ones that don't.

I paid $700 for it, painted the cabinets and walls when my daughter "moved in" and haven't put a penny into it since except new tires. The propane all works, the plumbing, water pump, convertor, hydrolics, etc all work just fine. Is it worth it? What should I look for in other damage and wear that would make it not worth it?

Seems like from what I've read, its mostly labor intensive, not so much expensive. I'm a single mom on a budget, lol. But where do I start? Seems like the roof to take care of water getting in, and the end cap (just learned that's what it's called!). But not sure if I should gut the inside first.

I've searched and searched online, and while there's posts and pictures here and there, I haven't found anything that would help figure out the step by steps to doing this.

maidencomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:59 AM   #2

Well in my most humble opinion, I would start with the roof. Seal that to prevent any further damage from water. I speak from experience, I purchased from my parents a 1990 fun lite with extensive water damage. But it was everywhere, walls, ceiling, around windows, and door.

dannylvn2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #3

Yeah, it's pretty much everywhere except on the front wall and the wall with the door, except the very back part of that has damage too.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
sam

Default HiLo repairs

Wow,sounds like you have extensive water damage. Can it be fixed? Yes Is it worth it? If you are very handy and want to invest the time and $ for repairs. Your biggest thing will be many many hrs. of labor. Materials could cot you $2000.00. Best of luck with your decision.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

I would put it on Craigslist for $700 and consider it to have done it's job well for you. You could spend weeks and weeks and probably less then $1000-2000 and in the end it will be worth the $700 you could get as is, plus the money you spent, but zero for your time. I see some nicer, newer ones around here for $4000, it will never be worth that as a backyard repair job on a rotted camper. I paid $1200 for my rotted top but it's a 1994 and the bottom 1/2 was excellent, and the rot was just the side walls in the back, and the back wall, to roof was pretty good. I'd be lucky to find somebody to give me $3500 for mine now that it's "fixedish".
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #6

I'm not worried about resale value. I've already gotten my money and then some out of it. I kind of figure I have a "free" camper that I'm starting with. And again, I have more time than money. $4k on another camper isn't happening. And even if it were, FL sun/rain is hard on everything. I'd be dealing with similar or other problems buying anything used.