Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #1

Default Windows

I read thru 67s rebuild thread last night and felt some motivation to tear our new-to-us camper apart to a smaller extent. My question regards the windows and how the water leaks thru them. Is the leak primarily in the seal around the perimeter or are there holes in the intermediate frames where the glass panels attach that would allow water in to seap thru the main frame? My seal looks pretty solid around the outside frame. To take them apart and clean up the walls, is it just a matter of unscrewing the frame from the inside and separating them.

tex4x4fsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #2

The majority of the time it is the frame that is leaking. Un-screw the frame from the inside and have someone available to catch it outside in case the clay seal is no longer tacky. Clean it all up and reseal with new clay seal or 100% silicone caulk.

allen9592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #3

The seal material you want is known as "butyl tape". It usually comes in 1/8" thickness and 3/4" or 1" widths. It's available at any RV supply house or Amazon. My local Ace hardware has it in stock, too.

You're right that replacing the seal is a matter of unscrewing the frames (interior part and exterior part) from inside the trailer. Have someone on the outside to hold the exterior frame while you remove the interior frame. Clean up all the old residue on the exterior skin of the trailer and replace the butyl tape. Many will then run a bead of caulk around the edge of the frame, too. Most RV'ers will suggest that you don't use silicone caulk. I've used Geocel Proflex caulk. There are other options, too. Lots of YouTube videos on this.

Good luck
piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:24 AM   #4

My confusion is that the existing tape/seal looks ok but there has been some water getting ina nd im wondering if its is around the glass instead - some of the glass trim pieces are not exactly touching so there are gaps.
tex4x4fsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #5

Check your outside marker/running lights. HiLo was noted for drilling larger than needed holes for the wiring and not using enough sealer for the holes. Also check the awning mounting screws for proper sealer.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
sam

Default Fixing window leaks

We always tell HiLo owners to remove and replace window seals with butyl tape and Lexel caulk on the outside. Even on newer units this should be done after about five years. You tube has a video on how to do this.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote