Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 03-18-2017, 12:10 AM   #1

Default Recently purchased 13' 1965 Hi-Lo

Hello all! My partner and I just purchased a beautiful vintage camper for our honeymoon road trip this summer and we're so excited! It's in great condition and beautifully remodeled. The previous owner did a lot of work rebuilding the frame and interior. He built a handsome wood interior with small cabinets hanging from the upper half as seen in the photos.
I love them, but my partner is concerned they are too heavy for the cable system and wants to take them down for safety. Especially if they have anything stored in them.
I'd love to leave them in, so I asking for any input on the weight capacity of the cable system. Previous owner replaced the cables but I'm not sure when. He mostly had it stationary with extra supports in place but we're going to be moving a lot and don't want this thing to fail on our trip.
Any knowledge of how to beef up the cable system to make him feel better about leaving them in?
Your input is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (153.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5507.jpg (125.5 KB, 27 views)

HitchinAcrossAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #2

SWEET, VERY NICE, YOU GOT ANY MORE PICS YOU CAN SHARE? How old are your cables? are they frayed in any spots at all anywhere? if there is any chance that they are compromised anywhere, replace all of them. far as weight in the cabinets you can go by your gvwr. meaning all your gear. that don't tell you how much your cables will lift, but they are capable of quite a lot I just redid mine. take the tensile strength of 1 cable and times it by 4 that's a lot of weight they can handle. for example if 1 cable can lift 850lbs. the 4 of them can life 3400lbs. something I was going to do and wish I did was use 3/16" cable instead of 1/8 inch it will work too. (I think) I don't see any reason why it wont when I fixed mine. have a good 1.
I put 1/4 inch plywood on my ceiling it added a lot of weight but I have no troubles cranking it up or down. just make yerself some safety bars. don't go tearin that apart lol

maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #3

I am in the process of rebuilding my 1964/65 15' voyager. it wont look anywhere near as nice as yours tho. that's a special camper there ya got! i'd be very proud of that, it needs no work inside, and as for safety and weight issues, I wouldn't worry about that either but do check your cables if they seem even the smallest bit compromised then there is reason for concern. if you do it. do what the others suggested on my thread, do them all at the same time. that's the only way with many yrs. of good advice combined. thanks for sharing the pics i'd love to see more. many yrs. of experience on here that will help you, they have helped me very much. oh yeah dang congrats on the marriage although i'd never do it again lmao. ps looks like the old guy redid that where aint nothing gonna fail you I just cant get over how beautiful that looks for the model and year I wish mine would be as nice.good luck.
sorry lolthanks mike
Old 03-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #4
sam

Default Congrats on your mariage and your HiLo

I know you will be fine with your cables and your cupboards. Your cupboards look small enough that you won't be putting anything heavy in them. You could go to a weigh scale when you are loaded up for a trip. Thanks for the pictures.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #5

Agreed! great looking camper. My guess is the cabinets would pull out from their own weight long before they snapped the cables if weight is an issue. I think you are fine.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #6

yah me too! nice looking unit! very nice
Old 03-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #7

hey what happened to you? where did you go? where's our more pics at?

Tags
1965, cable weight, upper cabinets, wooden cabins