Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Events Rallies, trips, shows etc.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #1

Default Hi-Lo Club Michigan Rally

The Rocky Mountain Hi-Lo Club is planning a 2011 summer rally to the beautiful, water wonderland State of Michigan.

The longest and farthest trip our club has ever attempted, we have nine rigs making the trek from Colorado and points west (including one from Riverside, CA) and have planned four camping stops; two in the Lower Peninsula and two in the Upper.

We’ll be at the Detroit-Greenfield RV Park (near Ypsilanti) from 23 June and departing 26 June. Then our group will be moving up state to the Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground (near Mackinaw City) from 26 June and departing 1 July. Next stop planned is the Aune Osborne Campground (Sault Sainte Marie) from 1 July and departing 5 July. Finally, we’ll be at the Wandering Wheels Campground (near Munising) from 5 July and departing 9 July.

Our wagon masters have a fairly loose itinerary planned for each of the four stops. Therefore, as wayward sojourners from the far west, we would definitely appreciate any sight seeing suggestions from our fellow Michigan or midwest Hi-Lo campers!

Finally, if any of you will be near our camps during the days indicated and choose to join us, either to visit or camp, you will be very warmly welcomed into our fire circle! Please feel free to contact me through the Forum if you might be joining us.

Jim

2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
TJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDoering View Post
The Rocky Mountain Hi-Lo Club is planning a 2011 summer rally to the beautiful, water wonderland State of Michigan.

The longest and farthest trip our club has ever attempted, we have nine rigs making the trek from Colorado and points west (including one from Riverside, CA) and have planned four camping stops; two in the Lower Peninsula and two in the Upper.

We’ll be at the Detroit-Greenfield RV Park (near Ypsilanti) from 23 June and departing 26 June. Then our group will be moving up state to the Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground (near Mackinaw City) from 26 June and departing 1 July. Next stop planned is the Aune Osborne Campground (Sault Sainte Marie) from 1 July and departing 5 July. Finally, we’ll be at the Wandering Wheels Campground (near Munising) from 5 July and departing 9 July.

Our wagon masters have a fairly loose itinerary planned for each of the four stops. Therefore, as wayward sojourners from the far west, we would definitely appreciate any sight seeing suggestions from our fellow Michigan or midwest Hi-Lo campers!

Finally, if any of you will be near our camps during the days indicated and choose to join us, either to visit or camp, you will be very warmly welcomed into our fire circle! Please feel free to contact me through the Forum if you might be joining us.

Jim
Hi. My wife and I lived, I was in the U.S. Air Force, in the Soo (Sault Ste. Marie)1965-1967. As a matter of fact, we were jsy up there last AugustDefinitely put your walking shoes on and got ot Mackinac Island. If we can help you with any questions, please feel free to fire away. Where is the campground in the Soo located? ...Tom and Judy

Old 02-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #3

Quote:

Jim
You said the HI LO NATIONAL RALLY in your mind is too PRICEY. S0 I guess going 500 miles and at least 15 nights ln lp and up Michigan is NOT PRICEY. Am I missing something?
TESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #4

Tess,

I think you have me confused with another member. I've never said that I thought the National Rally was too pricey. In fact, if you read my posts under that thread, you'll find that we are considering attending because we'll be in Illinois at about the same time.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 02-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #5

Tom,

Thanks for the offer to answer any questions we may have about the area! Mackinaw Island is one of the spots our group plans to visit.

I've never been to Aune Osborn Campground, one of our members who was raised in the UP, made the reservations. I have looked it up on the web, and it appears to be in a great spot right on the St. Marie's River. Here is a link that (if it works) has a map of the camp's location: http://www.michigan.org/Property/Detail.aspx?p=G10085

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 02-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #6

Question

Your thread stated THE PRICE IS WHAT IT IS. You also stated the 2006 Rally was somewhat expensive too,I guess the price is what it is or somewhat expensive is not PRICEY
Old 02-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
TJM

Quote:
Tom,

Thanks for the offer to answer any questions we may have about the area! Mackinaw Island is one of the spots our group plans to visit.

I've never been to Aune Osborn Campground, one of our members who was raised in the UP, made the reservations. I have looked it up on the web, and it appears to be in a great spot right on the St. Marie's River. Here is a link that (if it works) has a map of the camp's location: Aune-Osborn Campground - Sault Sainte Marie Campgrounds - Pure Michigan Travel

Jim
Jim,

Not a problem. One place you most definitely want to go and eat is the Antlers. It is on Portage right across the street from the world's largest hydro generator. You can sit there and look at traffic in Sault Ste. marie,Ontario. As far as the Soo (Michigan) goes, it is really a depressed area. Guess that is what happened when the Military pulled out. The base I was stationed at, Kincheloe AFB, is now the site of a prison. Actually, I thought it was a prison when I was stationed there with the 449th Bomb Wing (H) SAC. As a matter of fact, the barracks I lived in, prior to getting married, is now a dorm for the prison. The whole area, which was the base is, for the most part, a dump. I remember that when I was there, it was spotless. The hangars where our B-52 bombers were kept is like something out of the twilight zone. I had very bittersweet memories when we visited in August. same as where my wife and I lived when we were first married, on Seymour Street in the Soo.

A must though is Mackinac Island. It will cost you $26.00 per person for a round trip ticket. If you want to transport a bicycle over, you will pay additional for that. Plan on spending $10.00 a person just to walk up on the porch of the Grand Hotel. Food on the island is expensive as is if you want to rent a horse and buggy carriage. That will set you back a flat $100.00 for about a 25 minute ride.

Guess you ought to consult with another poster on this site,Tess, to see how you can save money. ha,ha
Old 02-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #8

The post was a reply to JMDoering ! The reply was a statement not a joke
Old 02-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
TJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESS View Post
The post was a reply to JMDoering ! The reply was a statement not a joke
Tess. I hope you are not offended as I am only joking.