Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Events Rallies, trips, shows etc.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #21
sam

Default Glad to hear the rally will be held.

Have a blast!! Glad to hear the rain has stopped. We were really dry in Niagara Falls. We finaly got some rain for our lawns and gardens. Give us a post rally report.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to TooLong
Default Mad as Hell

Was set to go to the Rally, only 100 miles away. Paid $450 in advance. Then the day before the Rally the wife's father dies. Called up to say we probably would not make. After the first day we find the funeral would not be for awhile. We called to say we are coming. No your spot has been given away. No you cannot get ANY refund.

And I am mad as hell. I will never stop at a KOA ever again.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #23

TooLong, who did you call, KOA or the person in charge of the rally? You and I both know that there is a date by which cancellation must be made for a refund, which date is a reasonable period of time BEFORE the first day of the rally. However, if the registration fee included your campsite rental for the entire three or four days of the rally, I would never have made that call to cancel, because you had already forfeited your money after the cancellation date. By not cancelling, you would have left your options open; after all, you had already paid for the campsite lock, stock and barrel. I am going to assume you called KOA instead of the rally organizer; that call gave KOA the opportunity to rent the site twice and make double the money. Instead, if you intended not to show up at all, the group at the rally could have used that site for gatherings or whatever. Please extend my condolences to your wife; losing a parent is a trying and confusing time.

One other point, we never checkout at state campgrounds when we have to leave early because of an important reason. If we have a day or two left on our stay which is already paid for and not refundable, we look around the campground for sites near us which look a little crowded (say a tent pitched next to an RV, etc.) and ask those people if they want some extra space by moving their tent to our RENTED site, and if so, we give them that site before we leave the campground. We do not give the campground the opportunity to rent that paid-for site twice during the same timeframe.

Dee
Summerville, SC
Hi-Lo Classic 2509
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #24
sam

Default Canceling reservation.

Dee is right. If you had contacted the HiLo organizer your outcome would have been different. Our camping club was at a KOA and one of our members suffered a stroke(CVA) and had to be taken by ambulance to a hospital. The KOA charged for two days until someone could come and get the fifth wheel. Our club will not ever spend about $2,000 to camp at this KOA again.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #25

if the hilo organizer is Jean i let her know Sunday that my father had passed and we would not be able to be there this is Kathy Peoples..texting this
Old 06-08-2016, 08:53 AM   #26

she just said sorry and bye...and I said thank and bye
Old 07-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #27

Default 2016 National Rally Report

I know this is late, but here it is. Everyone had a great time. The weather for most part co-operated for the rally. Had one medical issue, but all ended well with it. There were 44 trailers and 2 cabins in attendance for a total of 91 people. There were 21 HiLo's with the oldest being a 1976. The rest were SOB's (some other brand). Ten states attended, represented by 8 clubs. Monday had a great Bar-B-Q welcome dinner with entertainment by The Tejas Hi-Lo'fers. Door prizes were awarded, also. Tuesday we boarded tour buses for the Houston Space Center. Had a fantastic time there, lots to see and learn. Wednesday was an optional tour to the George H. W. Bush Presidential Library at College Station. Those that went thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Thursday was more optional tours at Fernland Historical Park and the St. Frances Wolf Sanctuary. The ones that went on those tours had a great time. Had a catered farewell dinner of fajitas and all the fixin's. Great meal! The entertainment for the night was by the Groove Kings. They did oldies and country western. Lloyd and the guys did a super job with the music. Even had line dancing and the Texas two step going on. On Friday had a farewell continental breakfast of pastries, coffee, and juice. During the week, between the tours and such, craft classes & metal detecting classes were being held. My hat is off to Jean and the Texas Tejas Hi-Lo'fer Club for a job well done!!! I was informed that after the dust had settled and all the bills were paid (campground, tour buses, tour tickets, catering, etc) that all the people who had paid for the rally and had to cancel were reimbursed 100% of their registration monies. TooLong, I am sorry about the death in your family, but you were quick to criticize about not getting a refund. Now that you have it, I haven't seen an updated post from you stating that you received a full refund.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #28
sam

Default Good to get a Rally report.

Bob,I was thinking many continued to travel after the rally and wouldn't be home for a while. I haven't been to a rally yet where a good time wasn't had by all. I belong to another camping club where we have had several medical emergencies. Our club was able to get a hold of a CPR instructor. Many of our members are now CPR certified.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #29

Yes, I did receive the refund. Thank you. I am still agrivated with KOA for giving the spot away after only one day. But, looking at the number of members there, I can understand. I also see why there are no postings in the Texas group on this site. Most of the Hi-Lofers do not own HiLos?
Old 07-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #30

Hi TooLong, I can understand your frustration with KOA. I'm not siding with them but all KOA's are a "for profit" business. Empty sites = no income. In response to your statement about HiLo ownership, with HiLo out of business (2010) and no new larger HiLo's in sight, club members have turned to s.o.b.'s (Some Other Brand). Only HiLo's on the market now are used and you wonder how well they were maintained. Other than being a newer model, are they in any better shape than the one you own? Can't speak for the other clubs, but our club, the O-HI-LO Club, is about 50/50 with HiLo's and s.o.b.'s. To join our club you must own a HiLo, but once a member you are still a member if you sell your HiLo and get a s.o.b. This had to be done in order to survive as a club. I am sure other clubs are in the same predicament. A chain is as strong as it's weakest link. Sometimes those chains start to get expensive. I, for one now own a s.o.b. Had HiLo still been in business, I would still have a HiLo. I still have HiLo in my blood. Bought my 22' HiLo new in 1995. Had it 6 years and sold it to a club member. Bought my 29' HiLo new in 2001 and had it 13 years. Repairs were starting to get costly. I now own a 35' 2014 Wildwood Heritage Glenn and am still a HiLo club member.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #31
sam

Default Our HiLo Club

Our HiLove NY HiLo club is experiencing the same thing as your club. Five rigs are SOB and only four HiLo owners. We have accepted some members with sob as they are family or friends of our club members. The common denominator is we all get along and love camping.