Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Library > Reference Library > Hi-Lo Owners Manual
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #1

Default 1971 Hi-Lo 14ft Owner's Manual (Single Axle)

Hi Everyone,

Ok, here is the owners manual I got with my 14ft Hi-Lo. I do not have any idea if there is a specific model, and the Manual is 40+ years old, so the scan isn't awesome. But it is readable

Cheers!
MrCoffee
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1971_Hi_Lo_Owners_Manual 20120724_0015.pdf (928.5 KB, 515 views)

1971 14' HiLo restore project
Call Sign KB1PMW
MrCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
sam

Default 1971 HiLo manual

Mr. Coffee,Thanks for taking the time to post your manual. I,m sure it will be of help to others. Looks alot like my 1990 25ft. Classic manual. Some things stay the same and somethings change. Your best economical camping is state parks. Many of them have some sort of swiming,sandy beach area and playgrounds. This should tucker the little one out and his parents. In NY if you want a guaranteed site ,especially weekends, you have to book nine months ahead of time. Electric sites are a must. You could go to your nearest State Park and check it out ahead of time. Get a site map and mark down some prefered choices. We did this.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #3

Default 1971 HI LO Manual

Thanks so much for posting that information I have a 1970 HI LO gave to me and i am learning. I am a green horn at this. Thanks so much
play546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by play546 View Post
Thanks so much for posting that information I have a 1970 HI LO gave to me and i am learning. I am a green horn at this. Thanks so much
My Pleasure! Don't forget to post up in the discussion thread about your unit, question, issues, problems. I am just learning about these units too

1971 14' HiLo restore project
Call Sign KB1PMW
MrCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #5

Default Thanks

MrC
Thanks for sharing your manual. Part of it looks like the 1969 manual that I downloaded but this has more detail about several areas. Thanks

Later 42rocker
69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #6

Default 1971 hi low camper

Hi! Purchased a 1971 hi low yesterday and it was in the upright position-I have never owned one before, and had no idea they went down. Both ends of the camper have 2x4's constructed into an H brace holding the camper in the up position. I am just wondering if anyone else has their hi low in this "up" positon all the time? I am just concerned if this is enough to hold it up or if it is dangerous? I wasn't sure what else is holding it up and if it could collapse? Please let me know your thoughts.....only paid $100 for it and spent all day inside cleaning it as it was not taken care of in a previous life....lol. Thanks!
angie777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
sam

Default welcome to the forum

HiLo trailers are made to collapse and should never be towed in the up position. It is okay to use 2x4s to support the unit on the outside if it will be in the up position for long periods of time. This takes the slack off the cables. It should lower gradually and will not collapse on you unless a cable is broken. Other with 70s HiLo can explain how to lower it.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
HiLo trailers are made to collapse and should never be towed in the up position. It is okay to use 2x4s to support the unit on the outside if it will be in the up position for long periods of time. This takes the slack off the cables. It should lower gradually and will not collapse on you unless a cable is broken. Other with 70s HiLo can explain how to lower it.
Hi Sam,

What would you consider being up a long period of time? I've had mine up since I purchased it about 6 weeks ago. Is that a problem? Doesn't dropping the top half onto the locking pin relieve the pressure on the cables?

Thanks,
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Hi Sam,

What would you consider being up a long period of time? I've had mine up since I purchased it about 6 weeks ago. Is that a problem? Doesn't dropping the top half onto the locking pin relieve the pressure on the cables?

Thanks,
The longest I've left mine up was a little over three months and I didn't have any problems.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #10

They were designed to stay up. The safety catch is for when something happens to the lift system, such as, cable breakage or the hydraulics fail. If properly maintained it shouldn't be a problem. I would say that if you aren't using the trailer it probably is be better to put it down to relieve the weight off the components.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
They were designed to stay up. The safety catch is for when something happens to the lift system, such as, cable breakage or the hydraulics fail. If properly maintained it shouldn't be a problem. I would say that if you aren't using the trailer it probably is be better to put it down to relieve the weight off the components.
Thanks for the clarification, Rich. I've been leaving it up since the purchase as I'm (slowly) going through everything and doing the initial outfitting in preparation to go camping next month. I'll lower her down as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote