Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Library > Reference Library > Hi-Lo Owners Manual
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #1

Default Odyssey HiLo 19T 2009

Ist time RV owner. HiLo 19T pulled by a 2004 Honda Odyssey. All advice appreciated.

limudad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

Welcome.

Lots of advice here. You should likely be more specific or you may get advice you don't want.

Speaking of which- that odyssey may be a bit under what you want to pull that 19 footer- both in power and most definitely in the weight rating category. ABSOLUTELY, though, you need a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH). My 21 footer runs close to 4500 lbs loaded and the tongue weight is around 700lbs. That is a good deal of weight for a mini-van. I tow with a 1/2 ton pickup and I upgraded to THAT from another pick-up. Just saying. I doubt the Odysey hitch, in and by itself, is even rated for that much heft. A WDH is something that keeps the tow Vehicle (TW) level. it attaches to the factory instaslled hitch on the back. Hi-Los look light- but compared to something like a tent camper- they are not.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
gus

your main concern should be the transmission on your Honda, I am not sure if you even have trans cooler is going to make a difference, this generation odyssey has weak transmission and it will fail.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #4

I spent about $1000 to prepare this Odyssey for this trailer. I did add a radiator and a WDH.
We don't expect the cross the county with this trailer yet. Just camping close to home to start. I have to drive 500 miles to get it home so will have a better idea about the Odyssey's ability to pull this trailer. The tongue weight is 360 I think. I have had some input from the Odyssey forum about upgrading to a newer vehicle. If I can get the mileage I hope to get I prefer not to go to a vehicle that will eat away at my wallet when gas prices go back up.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #5

If you get a chance n the way home- find a scale and weigh it. Weight the tv without being hooked up. Then weigh it hooked up with just the vans rear axle on scale ( tongue weight). Then weight the van and trailer together. That will give you the combined weight, of course. Then, you will have better numbers to decide what
Is really what. Good luck on your trip.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #6

Default Odyssey too small

Did not get home from Texas to OK without problems that I thought was the transmission. after 4 hrs top speed decreased to 45 and the engine sounded like it was cutting out. Could not tell between engine and transmission. Had a friend pull the camper home for the last 100 miles. Nursed the van home, changed the T fluid and have driven two cross country trips since with no problems. Fixed the tow problem with a 2007 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 with a tow package and 4.0 L engine. Enough power to pull and averaged 13 mpg. The perk is the van can now pull my 4x8 trailer whenever necessary so it was not a total wasted effort. Interesting that during the first 4 hours the van pulled at 65 occasionally and averaged 16 mpg. Maybe someone else's Odyssey is getitng better results.