Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Library > Reference Library > Electrical
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #1

Default 1988 hi lo wiring

I purchased a 1988 hi lo which needed some updating. I am looking for wiring diagram and or owners manual on this

Old 05-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
Site Team

In the reference library there is a owners manual for an '87 and an '89 Hi Lo. Things didn't change much from year to year.The wiring diagrams aren't too good as to component location but will help out.
Treeclimber

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:12 AM   #3

Default 1988 hilo lower electric schematic

This help its what i have found in my some what of a owner manual
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 201809070109010000.jpg (191.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 201809070106350000.jpg (171.9 KB, 68 views)
Jeremywellskfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
In the reference library there is a owners manual for an '87 and an '89 Hi Lo. Things didn't change much from year to year.The wiring diagrams aren't too good as to component location but will help out.
Treeclimber
Thankyou thanks for the help
auerdoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremywellskfc View Post
This help its what i have found in my some what of a owner manual
Thankyou thanks for the help
Old 05-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #6

Exclamation Missing AC input Schematic ?

isn't this missing the AC wire input?. were can I find that shcematic
Old 05-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerdoan View Post
isn't this missing the AC wire input?. were can I find that shcematic
I don't know that you ARE going to find that schematic. I don't recall ever seeing the AC input to the converter on any of the wiring diagrams. There would be only three wires: Hot, Neutral and Ground.

- Jack
Old 05-06-2020, 11:09 AM   #8

odd it’s just not documented I have an AC wire about 15 feet long 20 feet long stored in a box that looks like it came standard equipped on my Hilow that stands out . I plug this in and was able to turn on my AC What I’m trying to understand is what else the AC goes into perhaps he goes to a converter that goes to the 12 or that could charge to 12 that’s what I was looking for

Mines a 81
Model 2181
Old 05-06-2020, 01:22 PM   #9
Site Team

If you're talking about the "shore power" cord (the thing you plug into a 120V AC supply, like at a full hookup campground, or maybe into a wall socket at home), it goes directly to the back of the Converter. The converter has only two functions:
1. It transfers 120V AC power directly to the interior wall sockets, refrigerator, microwave, hot water heater, and Air Conditioner, etc.

2. It "converts" 120V AC power to 12V DC charging power which is directed straight to the battery. The battery then powers all DC appliances such as the lights, top lifting, fans, etc.
Now if the cord you are talking about is the one that goes from the bottom half to the top half. that's what transports the 120V AC power from the converter to the Air Conditioner. I some trailers, like mine, it's "fixed". In others, you have to plug it in.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
If you're talking about the "shore power" cord (the thing you plug into a 120V AC supply, like at a full hookup campground, or maybe into a wall socket at home), it goes directly to the back of the Converter. The converter has only two functions:
1. It transfers 120V AC power directly to the interior wall sockets, refrigerator, microwave, hot water heater, and Air Conditioner, etc.

2. It "converts" 120V AC power to 12V DC charging power which is directed straight to the battery. The battery then powers all DC appliances such as the lights, top lifting, fans, etc.
Now if the cord you are talking about is the one that goes from the bottom half to the top half. that's what transports the 120V AC power from the converter to the Air Conditioner. I some trailers, like mine, it's "fixed". In others, you have to plug it in.

- Jack
Wow,
Thankyou Jack you answered my questions I was curious if it would charge my battery while powering the accessories You explained it thoroughly .
Old 05-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Yup, those two functions happen together. However, I've found, in my trailer, that there are two 30 Amp fuses that tend to blow in the DC charging circuit. These are sort of "hidden" in my Elixer converter, behind the accessible fuse panel.

I think I've blown those fuses by raising the top or, raising the connected trailer/tow vehicle combination with the tongue lift while having the trailer plugged in to shore power. Both of these actions put a very heavy DC power load on the battery and I think possibly that the heavy drain gets transferred to the converter, exceeding the 30 Amp limit on that circuit. So, I've learned to not have shore power connected while raising the top or lifting the truck/trailer.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Yup, those two functions happen together. However, I've found, in my trailer, that there are two 30 Amp fuses that tend to blow in the DC charging circuit. These are sort of "hidden" in my Elixer converter, behind the accessible fuse panel.

I think I've blown those fuses by raising the top or, raising the connected trailer/tow vehicle combination with the tongue lift while having the trailer plugged in to shore power. Both of these actions put a very heavy DC power load on the battery and I think possibly that the heavy drain gets transferred to the converter, exceeding the 30 Amp limit on that circuit. So, I've learned to not have shore power connected while raising the top or lifting the truck/trailer.

- Jack
Good to Know!