Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #1

Default Brake Light

I don't know if the center brake light is supposed to blink with the turn signals, but it does. I thought it would work on brake only. I took the lens off and then removed the light box from the rear end cap. It has a black wire (12v) and a green wire (ground) and that's it. The black wire looks like it runs down toward the left rear taillight, but I didn't do any digging because I didn't want to mess anything up. The factory taillights have been replaced and I suspect that the wires were mis-connected at that time. I tried to look at the 12v wiring diagram on the site, but I couldn't enlarge it enough to make out what connected to what. Can someone tell me where these wires are routed and how to access them and if anyone knows how these wires are supposed to be connected I would greatly appreciate a heads up on this.

Thanks

Bear

bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #2

RVs manufacturers are notorious for providing poor documentation. My guess is the best you are going to do is the wiring diagram on page 18 of the 1990 owners manual in this forum. The color coding on it is quite readable.

My guess is that the center brake lite is an aftermarket unit that was added on. These are normally connected to both stop/turn lights via a relay/switch box or they have the circuity integrated. The idea is that the light will only come on when both stop/turn lights come on.

Raul

Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

The Classic trailer had the high level brake light which I assume had the logic module to make it light steadily.
Do You Need a Third Brake Light Logic Module?
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
sam

Default Picture of 1990 lights on back of HiLo and couch blocks hardware

SDC10660.jpg This is how our lights look on the back of our HiLo. 1990 25ft. Classic.

SDC10662.jpg Blocks of wood in down position when the couch is flat for the bed.

SDC10663.jpg Blocks of wood are in the up position when you are using the couch.

[ attach]2320[/attach] Hardwear under couch. The other end of the metal bar that is not in the picture is a slide.
It keeps the front section of the couch from advancing too far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10664.jpg (96.3 KB, 27 views)
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #5

Hmm... I learn something new every day. I did not know that some Hi-Los came with center brake lights.

Raul
Old 05-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #6

I think you will find that most vehicles are required to have them after a certain year by federal law.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #7

The law became effective in 1986, but I do not believe that the it applies to trailers. For example, I own a 2008 Hi-Lo and it does not have a center brake light.

Raul
Old 05-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
sam

Default Brake light.

DH thinks the brake center light is not designed to blink with the turn signals. It has a controller that only works with the brakes. Our controller went bad and had to be replaced. Mantelli Trailer Sales would have the part you need. Call Jay Simon in parts. 1-716-625-8395 or jay@mantelli.com Fax 716-625-8395. Jay is available anytime for a quick telephone question. They will mail parts anywhere. FYI: DH had to tinn all the light wires on the marker lights. This gives a better contact. Works much better minus the corrosion.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #9

Thank you all for the information. I will check these items out. One question though where would I find the brake light controller that sam is talking about. I don't want to blindly go ripping into things and then have to replace them also.

Bear
bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #10

If I am not mistaken, the brake light controller Sam is referring to is your brake controller that is mounted inside of your tow vehicle. When your brakes are pressed that sends a signal back thru to your TV pigtail at the hitch and sent thru to the trailer lights.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
sam

Default Clatrification Brake controller

DH says the brake controller we are talking about is inside the brake light on the back of the trailer. Mantelli trailer will have the part. Talk to Jay Simon about this.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #12

Our 1996 blinks with the turn signals too. Easy way to check if it's ok, is turn the turn signal on then have someone step on the brake and see if the center light quits blinking. If it does it working correctly, if it doesn't you have a problem. EDIT for bad info: The only time the 3rd brake light blinks is if I turn on the 4 ways

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote