Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Library > Reference Library > Lift System
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #1

Cool Could not lower top

Just wanted to thank all of the people in this forum that had suggestions on how to resolve the issue of the top not lowering.

To all that have the problem, the very first thing I would do is check the battery, even if you are plugged in to power. I'm one who always fears the worse when it comes to these types of issues, and I could have avoided all the worry and stress if I would have just checked the battery first.

Hooked jumper cables up from my truck, and poof, the problem was solved, or at least identified. I'll need a new battery, but that jump brought my trailer and I back to life.

jaysvarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #2

I'm glad to hear you solved the problem. The battery is a must for raising the top and it must be in good condition and state of charge to do it. The converter only supplies about half the amperage required to make the pump operate.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #3

Too often we overlook the obvious. Several months ago I tried to start up the portable gen set; it just wouldn't start. I figured I'd waited too long between starts and the carb had gummed up (yes, I use fuel additive). No, I don't turn off the fuel switch and run it out as it continues to run for quite a bit.

So now with warmer weather I got to looking at it. It was out of gas! The strange thing is it was full when put into storage. Thieves? Space aliens? Mud dobbers? I'm currently watching it and fortunately there are no leaks!

This thing has been incredible in that (with gas) it has always started on the very first pull. And it's an old one (Dewalt DG4300), I'm guessing 10 years. I'm the third, maybe forth owner, so can't be sure.

I found another problem after that. The mud dobbers plugged the four 120V receptacles. I removed and physically cleaned them, heavy spray of electrical cleaner, then soaked them in alcohol. Even after drying them in the sun for several days the ground faults wouldn't reset. Trip to Lowes got me what I needed and its now running again.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #4

I had a problem with a weed eater not starting, I about ruined my shoulder pulling the rope. It would not chug, I checked the plug, the carb, and the air filter, all were well. I gave up and sat it on the porch and walked away. Later, I walked back to the porch and spotted the problem right away. The mud daubers had plugged the exhaust shut. I cleaned it and away she went.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote