Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Library > Reference Library > Lift System
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #1

Default hydrualics

where is hydraulic reservoir on 1985 hi lo

a6545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #2

I also have a 1985, funchaser 21'.
Your reservoir is one and the same as the lift motor body.
There is a small plastic plug located on the front top and that is where you check and fill with auto trans fluid to within 1" of overflow, WHILE IN THE DOWN POSITION.

hth
steve

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #3

how do you remove hyd. ram from trailer to have oil leak [worn seals] replaced ?
gene campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene campbell View Post
how do you remove hyd. ram from trailer to have oil leak [worn seals] replaced ?
Welcome to the forum. Member Treeclimber recently did his. He may chime in with some tips. See if this will help you out.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f61/...aulic-ram-303/
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Default piston R/R/R

Gene, As "Ruben" says I just removed/repacked and replaced my actuator. It really didn't take long. I got real lucky because the hydraulic shop had it repacked the next day. I hadn't read Alex's link otherwise the safety bar wouldn't have dropped on my cheek bone, no damage except to my pride. Caution when dropping that cylinder! The safety bar is held only by the cylinder.
Just a few notes that I experienced: my top would not rise so I had to do it when down, however there was very little fluid spillage that way.
When removing the cable pulleys, before you remove the cable pulley bolts, wire tie the four cables together, remove the bolts, stick a wire tie thru the pulleys this will hold the cables in place, then wire tie that bundle out of the way. Repeat for the other set of pulleys.
Next: I had to remove the stainless fitting from the cylinder, then had to rotate the cylinder to get it thru the frame bracket.
Note: My hydraulic shop cleaned, sandblasted inspected internally and also the rod, painted, then they repacked and pressure tested to 2500 psi.
Install was, of course, reverse. It's best to take pictures during the evolution (close ups, no choice) so less chance of mistakes. I worked on hyd systems on Navy aircraft, so it was old hat, but I wish I had to go along with a "how to", but I needed to get on the road pretty quickly. I recommend scanning everything involved while spraying WD-40 on all bolts, nuts and large end pin.
Take your time and you'll be ok, think thru the next step, then do it.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote