Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 05-02-2019, 08:54 PM   #1

Default 1984 Voyager 25R With Battery Box Problem

Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased an '84 Voyager 25R that is in pretty good shape but has been cobbled here and there. One concern is it looks like the brace under the battery/hydraulic pump box has broken off and a piece of square tubing has been very poorly placed and welded under the battery box to support it. The battery sits too high and the top has come down on the cover and broken it. My question is does someone have a 25R or similar model that you could take pictures of the tongue and box and post for me? There is a metal piece that runs under the battery that has legs that looks like it originally went down to the brace that I can't quite figure out. I would appreciate it greatly if someone could help me out!

Thanks!

TinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:25 AM   #2
Site Team

TinMan - welcome to the forum! We're a friendly bunch and I'm sure someone with a 25 footer may be able to do as you ask.

It might help us if you were to post pictures of your problem area. I'm having trouble visualizing what happened there and can't think of ways to help you deal with it.

I'm going to change the title of your thread too, so that people will be alerted to your problem when they see it, and will know you are asking for help.

- Jack

Old 05-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #3

Thanks for the response Jack! I'll crawl under it and take some pics, weather permitting. Flash flood watch for my part of Oklahoma!
Old 05-03-2019, 09:31 PM   #4

Sounds like you should rebuild the battery support system
Use 3/4" square tubing (two rows of it under the battery to support the weight )
Weld or get a welder to put it together to the toughe of the trailer have it sit lower than the frame so the battery post sit lower than the top of the frame of the touge then put a hinged piece of diamond plate aluminum over the top you could even get a sheetmetal shop build you the lower part of the battery box or use some plastic battery boxes
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #5

Thanks for the input but my goal is to repair it back to original or what looks like original. After getting under it to take pics I figured out what was going on. The strap I couldn't figure out was the original battery hold down. Some fiberglass sheet and resin will fix the broken box.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Yes, there IS a battery hold-down strap under there (for one battery). I added a battery to mine and didn't bother to "anchor" it. The space it fits in next to the other battery holds it very securely.

Glad your repairs will be minimal. BTW, I think the battery box is ABS plastic. It would be best repaired with ABS plastic cement. I've used that along with fiberglass cloth on other ABS repairs with great success.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote