Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 06-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #1

Talking 24' High-low to permanent High

Hi,
We bought a 1999 hi-low. it was in some sad shape and a friend could not make the repairs so he gave it to my wife for a great price.
Now this will confuse many of you, she wants to convert it into a Vardo, AKA "Gypsy wagon"
I have gutted EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink base, toilet & tub base.
we plan to run this in the raised position 100% of the time.
My question is will the suspension handle this.
I have no doubt I can make the halves secure and I can change the appearance into something unrecognizable to most.
I just need to know if it is time to find a new tandem axle to put under the thing. I don't want to take a turn and find her on her side. I have removed all the weight up high. The only thing left is the AC on the roof and I will remove it if it will save me from replacing the axle.
I will be happy to share pictures if you are interested.
This is my 1st Hi-Low trailer but my 3rd major build to a trailer.
A good electrical diagram would also be helpful. I plan to add solar panels and I figure I could connect that in line with the ac to dc charge system.
Many Thanks,
Crazy Dave

Waegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waegele View Post
Hi,
We bought a 1999 hi-low. it was in some sad shape and a friend could not make the repairs so he gave it to my wife for a great price.
Now this will confuse many of you, she wants to convert it into a Vardo, AKA "Gypsy wagon"
I have gutted EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink base, toilet & tub base.
we plan to run this in the raised position 100% of the time.
My question is will the suspension handle this.
I have no doubt I can make the halves secure and I can change the appearance into something unrecognizable to most.
I just need to know if it is time to find a new tandem axle to put under the thing. I don't want to take a turn and find her on her side. I have removed all the weight up high. The only thing left is the AC on the roof and I will remove it if it will save me from replacing the axle.
I will be happy to share pictures if you are interested.
This is my 1st Hi-Low trailer but my 3rd major build to a trailer.
A good electrical diagram would also be helpful. I plan to add solar panels and I figure I could connect that in line with the ac to dc charge system.
Many Thanks,
Crazy Dave
Might check with Dexter Axle to get their feedback on the conversion.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #3

Thanks Gary
did Hi-low use Dexter on the 1999 trailer builds? or is it just a reliable vendor?
I am working on replacing the 1" tube around the kitchen window today. It looks like when these things leak the open cell foam they used trapped the moisture creating severe rust. I am hoping I can have this done for a 10 day trip in Colorados foothills.
Thanks again
Waegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waegele View Post
Thanks Gary
did Hi-low use Dexter on the 1999 trailer builds? or is it just a reliable vendor?
I am working on replacing the 1" tube around the kitchen window today. It looks like when these things leak the open cell foam they used trapped the moisture creating severe rust. I am hoping I can have this done for a 10 day trip in Colorados foothills.
Thanks again
I don't know when Hi-Lo started using Dexter axles, but when I had my 1999 21T. it had a Dexter.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, solar, towing, towing raised, vardo