Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 05-30-2016, 11:35 PM   #1

Default 91 Hilo, prepping for our first trip. Butt-ugly upholstery.

Been getting this thing with strawberry pink, sun faded upholstery and curtains ready for our first trip. Most everything seems to work, but I have a couple questions.
1)The AC on the roof doesn't have power to it. I took off the cover and I can see the power wire coming in to it. Put my ac voltage tester to it and there's nothing. I checked the breakers down near the converter and water heater and flipped them. Still nothing. I notice that the ac is the only 110 device on the upper half of the hilo, so there has got to be a wire going from the bottom to the top. There is a wire bundle in the bathroom, but that goes down to a 12v fuse box. Anybody know where the 110 wire to the roof is? I suspect that it may be broken or something seeing as how it has to flex when you drop the top. And before you say it, yes, every other outlet and 110 device is powered and working presently.
2)There are a pair of toggle switches who's purpose is a mystery. They are located on the underside of the head-height cupboard on your left when you come in the door. They do not do anything noticeable when I flip them.
Thanks!

Yttermayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:03 AM   #2
Site Team

One of those switches turns on the outside light, the other may turn on another outside light- front, top center perhaps. As for the A/C, is it plugged in? not sure where your plug is located, but there should be a grey wire from the top and an outlet in close proximity to that wire. Back in the bath, depending on the age, it may be a coiled cable on the outside.
Others will help soon, but for many, this is the first day back to work.
Treeclimber

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:43 AM   #3

Thank you for your help. I haven't been able to find where it plugs in, I assumed it would connect with the lower half via a length of romex, since that's what I can see a few inches of coming out of the ac units switch box (before disappearing into the roof insulation).
I will look for a plug then. Any possibility of a photo of location or something?
Old 05-31-2016, 09:19 AM   #4

I have a 2001. My air conditioner plugs in at the back of the trailer, center. Please correct me if I am wrong but as for the toggle switch, there should be 3 settings. One provides power to the lift system, one is general power for the trailer and one is to allow power to flow to just the refrigerator while traveling.
V6 3.5L Eco Boost
bshetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:47 AM   #5

Previous quote from a similar post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker920 View Post
I had this same problem when I first got my 2288D. I trouble shot it for a couple hours looking for an open wire. It appeared that the feed for A/C is Romex and it goes from the unit straight to the male outlet on the side of the camper. Long story short I found out I had to plug it in with the female plug. Silly question, but is it plugged in? Happened to me.

Mike
Quote:
Yes, the cord with female plug that goes to the male outlet on the outside. If you indeed had it plugged in, unplug it and check the voltage at the plug. That will tell you where the open is.

Mike
motorpig2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
Site Team

Ytter, on one of my Hi Los, a 2000, I think, the A/C cord was in the far back corner (that's where the bath was), the A/C outlet was located on the lower half but was facing the back of the trailer. You would never have seen it, if not looking for it. If you have the power cord, the outlet is within range.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-31-2016, 02:26 PM   #7

If yours is like mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160528_221618.jpg (102.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg FOR AC.jpg (104.2 KB, 13 views)
motorpig2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Just like my 24'er, good pic, motor!
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-31-2016, 08:38 PM   #9

Mine is an 88 and is on the outside. Thanks for the quote Motorpig! Anyways here is a pic of mine. The outlet it has a sticker under it stating it is for the A/C unit. That's how I figured out how to get power to it in the first place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160530_081648.jpg (112.4 KB, 13 views)
2006 GMC Sierra Denali
Stroker920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #10

Mine is a 1994. The plug for the ac comes out of a receptacle inside the camper and actually plugs into an electrical outlet on the interior bottom half. I have to unplug it and put it back every time I lower the top or it will get snagged between the two halves. It is located on the inside back wall of the camper.
Wannafishmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:16 PM   #11
sam

Default Getting ready for trip.

I have a 25ft. 1990 classic. My Ac cord is on the outside just like the picture stroker920 provided. You push the plastic cover on the lower half over and pull the cord out. It plugs into an outside receptacle on the top half. Plug in before raising the unit up or you will possibly need a step stool. I have the same switches as you enter the HiLo on the right side under the cabinet. One switch will turn the outside light off from the inside and the other one turns on an interior light under the cupboard. Note our switch didn't always work. When we had to do extensive water damage repairs DH discovered the wiring was wrong from the factory. It was an easy fix. Just unstapled the false bottom in the cupboard and put the wiring in the proper sequence.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #12

Smile

Quote:
Mine is an 88 and is on the outside. Thanks for the quote Motorpig! Anyways here is a pic of mine. The outlet it has a sticker under it stating it is for the A/C unit. That's how I figured out how to get power to it in the first place.
Finally got a chance to mess with this some more this weekend- WOW Thank you all for the replies! Stroker920 was pretty much right on, there is a little exterior outlet up high and a cord coming from the same box that has my power wire that plugs into it. Thank you all! Now I just have to get the bottles refilled...
Old 06-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
I have a 25ft. 1990 classic. My Ac cord is on the outside just like the picture stroker920 provided. You push the plastic cover on the lower half over and pull the cord out. It plugs into an outside receptacle on the top half. Plug in before raising the unit up or you will possibly need a step stool. I have the same switches as you enter the HiLo on the right side under the cabinet. One switch will turn the outside light off from the inside and the other one turns on an interior light under the cupboard. Note our switch didn't always work. When we had to do extensive water damage repairs DH discovered the wiring was wrong from the factory. It was an easy fix. Just unstapled the false bottom in the cupboard and put the wiring in the proper sequence.
Thanks sam, mine is a 91, so it's probably exactly the same on mine for those switches. I'll go out tonight to see if the AC cooled ok and maybe see the lights better. Right now it's very very bright out.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #14
sam

Default Thanks for the update

Glad to hear you got your Ac figured out. We have had temps in the 80sand 90s. Let me know if you need further help with your light switches.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote