New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Posts: 8
Default Another newbie 1st trip

Well my wife and I bought the new to us 2008 22 foot Towlite , and am going to use it for the first time this weekend at Lake Cushman WA. I have been reading up, checking the forum so I guess that I am ready as I will ever be. I am a retired submarine sailor and the RV is similar to the boat. Small, tight spaces, limited power, small head (bathroom). Unlike the boat, there are windows to look out and beer in the fridge. Hoping to get there before sunset on Friday so I won't have to set up in the dark for the first time. Going forth and conquering.
_____________________
2208T
2014 Toyota Tacoma
__________________

bill p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Luckydog671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Tehachapi Mountains, Calif.
Posts: 817
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill p View Post
Well my wife and I bought the new to us 2008 22 foot Towlite , and am going to use it for the first time this weekend at Lake Cushman WA. I have been reading up, checking the forum so I guess that I am ready as I will ever be. I am a retired submarine sailor and the RV is similar to the boat. Small, tight spaces, limited power, small head (bathroom). Unlike the boat, there are windows to look out and beer in the fridge. Hoping to get there before sunset on Friday so I won't have to set up in the dark for the first time. Going forth and conquering.
_____________________
2208T
2014 Toyota Tacoma
Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum and have a great 1st trip! I used to work on subs so I know what you mean about the similarities. Don't drink the beer until you get to the campsite, though.

Anchors aweigh!
__________________

__________________
Greg
2004 4x4 Chevy Tahoe
Former owner of a 2407T
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Posts: 8
Default Potable Water Drain Valve/Propane

OK, hit my first snag. I filled the potable water tank and added a little bleach to sanitize it. When I went to dump the tank, the valve handle broke. I imagine that this type of valve is a pretty common RV part so I am going to go buy another one and whatever type of RTV is required for potable water use. The repair looks pretty straight forward (unless someone has a horror story about changing this part). Also plan to double check the propane gas and run the furnace here at home before I make my trip tomorrow. Never had an RV but it does not appear to be that difficult. Yeah yeah I know, the new guy with his issues.
bill p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: reno, nv
Posts: 360
Default

Bill p
Do not use any sealant on the plumbing unless the last resort, and then it should just be silicone1. Some day you may need to repair it again.
I STRONGLY suggest that you don't use the furnace until you have a CO2 alarm installed. Test OK. Nice to awake from that nap.
That drain valve on my hi-lo is plastic and crimped on. But a hose clamp works well and cheap. Easy fix!

Welcome to the forum.
__________________
2002 ford f350, 7.3 diesel
1985 hi-lo funchaser
kb0nai
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Posts: 8
Default Plumbing and Furnace

Yes, I have now determined the water valve is crimped on. Need to go buy a hose clamp. Propane, smoke and CO alarm all work. Will test furnace after I repair the water valve. Thanks for the tip. Wish I would have known about the hose clamp. Another trip to the store now.
bill p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upper left corner
Posts: 531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill p View Post
OK, hit my first snag. I filled the potable water tank and added a little bleach to sanitize it. When I went to dump the tank, the valve handle broke. I imagine that this type of valve is a pretty common RV part so I am going to go buy another one and whatever type of RTV is required for potable water use. The repair looks pretty straight forward (unless someone has a horror story about changing this part). Also plan to double check the propane gas and run the furnace here at home before I make my trip tomorrow. Never had an RV but it does not appear to be that difficult. Yeah yeah I know, the new guy with his issues.
The drain valve on mine also had the handle break. It's a pretty standard part. I found a replacement at Ace Hardware. On my trailer the valve body is screwed to the lower trailer body. It has a hose attached to the back with a spring clamp (no RTV). They come in three hose sizes, so measure it or take the old one with you. Replacing it took 5-10 minutes.

I agree with the recommendation on a CO detector/alarm.
__________________
Raul

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
RCREYES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Far West Texas
Posts: 1,091
Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill p View Post
OK, hit my first snag. I filled the potable water tank and added a little bleach to sanitize it. When I went to dump the tank, the valve handle broke. I imagine that this type of valve is a pretty common RV part so I am going to go buy another one and whatever type of RTV is required for potable water use. The repair looks pretty straight forward (unless someone has a horror story about changing this part). Also plan to double check the propane gas and run the furnace here at home before I make my trip tomorrow. Never had an RV but it does not appear to be that difficult. Yeah yeah I know, the new guy with his issues.
The owners manual has the procedure for sanitizing the potable water system. In a nutshell, you should pre mix 1/4 cup of bleach with one gallon of water for every 15 gallons of tank capacity then completely fill tank and let stand for three hours. Drain and flush.

I have heard that pouring bleach directly into tank can cause problems but not sure what. I have also been told that you don't want bleach in water heater tank so make sure you bypass HWH.
__________________
"Ruben"
2404T, 2003 2500HD 4X4 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab w/Astro camper shell and 2003 Chevy Tahoe LE 4X2
Far West Texas
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Luckydog671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Tehachapi Mountains, Calif.
Posts: 817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill p View Post
Yes, I have now determined the water valve is crimped on. Need to go buy a hose clamp. Propane, smoke and CO alarm all work. Will test furnace after I repair the water valve. Thanks for the tip. Wish I would have known about the hose clamp. Another trip to the store now.
Since the trailer is new to you, I recommend you pressurize the propane system and do a "soap bubble" test on all pipe and tubing joints before firing up the furnace. Also, give the inside the "sniff test." I think Hi-Lo designed the system so all joints are accessible. You will need to get under the trailer though, but it's a wonderful way to get to know your Hi-Lo.
__________________
Greg
2004 4x4 Chevy Tahoe
Former owner of a 2407T
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Posts: 8
Default Plumbing repair complete, Furnace good

Finally got the dump valve for the potable water tank changed out,(tight area to work. Tank has been flushed twice so I believe that it is good to go. Gas piping "soap tested" sat. Did not detect any gas smells. More like a smell of a heating element that has not been run in a while. Thermostat a bit tricky but I think I have a handle on it now. The campground I am going to only has 20amp power available. I think it will be fine as I should not need the AC this time of the year in Washington. Thanks for all the input. Nice to have a forum for Hi-Lo questions.
bill p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Posts: 8
Default Raising up

At the campground and it appears as though the right front corner is not fully raised. Off by and inch or two. I tried lowering and raising again, but it the problem persist. Any ideals?
__________________

bill p is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
HiLoTrailerForum.com Copyright 2010