Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 07-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #1

Question To buy and remodel or not

I'm glad I found this forum. I Love the HiLo concept and wish it were more wide spread so there were more options of used ones out there. I've done enough house remodeling (I'm not a pro, but my dad was) that I know my style of remodeling well. I don't like band-aids, duct tape, etc. I will gut this thing rather than patch over. By gut I mean try to get the bad stuff out before starting a rebuild. I am wary a bit, however, that rebuilding may be a lot more difficult than I realize!

I'm looking at a mid 1980s model funlite (21') that needs quite a lot of work. The owner dropped it off for the day for us to look at. I've posted some of the pictures here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lvnw4cWMdnPsJPxq2

It raises and lowers fine, but there is a lot of water damage. The current owner says he's fixed the leaks (hoping so), but lots of delamination in the ceiling and walls. Without tearing off some of the ceiling and walls it is hard to tell if the bones are in good shape or not. This is in a very dry part of the US so even with water damage this may have dried out fairly well. However, I can smell musty stuff in some of the delaminated ceiling panels.

Fridge doesn't work, toilet was unhooked when the current owner put on some new faux wood product on the floor. Don't know if the heater works or not. Many lights work, but a few don't. A few patches on the outside. Tires okay, but I'd replace them before a long trip. Surprisingly to me the underside OSB looks like it is good condition for the age. It does worry me that it is exposed OSB, however.

In one of the pictures you'll see where it looks like the cable or something cut through the sidewall on the outside. Doesn't seem to affect closing, but when he comes back I'll ask him about it. Maybe they attempted close this when it wasn't level?

In the end, I think I can tackle the interior work if I want to spend the time, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to use this to sleep in (simple, dry camping) as I work on it too. For example, I'd be fine setting up some cots with the ceiling and walls gutted - it would be like a stripped down tent camper. After looking over it today the asking price does seem a bit high too at 1.5k.

With all of the delimination should I run from this one?
When I pull off the ceiling and the walls could this turn into a remodeling nightmare? I know we all have our different tolerances of what we put up with so just curious if this looks like something you'd take on!

Thank you!

ryjoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!

You have landed on the right place to get answers to your questions. I'm sure you will be getting replies to your post.

RichR

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:47 PM   #3

Have you read the post about the guy who bought his HiLo for $1?

It is on YouTube "Our $1 HiLo Rebuild"

I think after watching what he went through you could gauge what you want to do.

If I wanted it and committed to the project I might offer $500-$750.

Parting it out would bring at least that much.
Bravada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:23 PM   #4

Bravada,

Thanks for the pricing advice. That sounds about right. Wish I could get it for $1! I'm hoping my roof isn't shot as much as that guy's was, but I'm tempted to take a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravada View Post
Have you read the post about the guy who bought his HiLo for $1?

It is on YouTube "Our $1 HiLo Rebuild"

I think after watching what he went through you could gauge what you want to do.

If I wanted it and committed to the project I might offer $500-$750.

Parting it out would bring at least that much.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryjoba View Post
Bravada,

Thanks for the pricing advice. That sounds about right. Wish I could get it for $1! I'm hoping my roof isn't shot as much as that guy's was, but I'm tempted to take a chance.
Just in case it helps you decide something, here's the running post I've got going about restoring a 24' with lots of water damage:

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f35/...-rebuild-5496/

It's ongoing, but maybe it will give you some insights. It can be a fun project but a time consuming one depending on the damage. Good luck.

Also in the garage, some stuff to pull it:
1999 3/4 ton 'Burb
1993 Roadmaster wagon (well, it probably won't pull it)
r67northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #6

Paid 500 for mine. Low ball him he brought it to you. Betting he doesn't want to pull it back.My roof was bad and moldy also so I'm rebuilding upper half. Lower half stayed dry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1484.jpg (133.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1483.jpg (162.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1485.jpg (197.3 KB, 9 views)
MrEd HiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #7

Buy the best you can for the money you want to spend.
The one you describe is NOT the one to start off with, unless cheap is your criteria.
The cost goes up after purchase.

The idea is to go camping not be married to a basket case the takes over the driveway.

I have an old 1985 funchaser that was in good condition but needed the fridge rebuilt. Which I did.

Needs WDH, lots more.

Just my $.02
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #8

You'll never get back what you put in but you'll know what you have
MrEd HiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #9

Definitely coming around to being patient and saving up and waiting for something that seems like less risk.

I actually offered him $500 and the more I think about it, the more I hope he doesn't accept it! I've done enough house remodeling to know that it's always a lot longer than you expect.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by r67northern View Post
Just in case it helps you decide something, here's the running post I've got going about restoring a 24' with lots of water damage:

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f35/...-rebuild-5496/

It's ongoing, but maybe it will give you some insights. It can be a fun project but a time consuming one depending on the damage. Good luck.
I studied this entire thread. r67northern, you've gone about it the way I would and your thread was very helpful to make me realize just how much it takes in time and patience!

Thank you for putting that together. If I end up buying this I'll be sure to keep a photo album and journal of everything I do - very helpful. A little at a time!
Old 07-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #11

I'd pass on this one, but that's just me. I agree with renoites, it could turn into a big project. But, you know your budget, skills and tolerance level better than anyone on this forum.

We have friends who bought a travel trailer (not Hi-Lo) from an online auction site, sight unseen (except for pictures). It turned out to be a rotten, moldy mess. But, they tore it apart and rebuilt it and it turned out really nice. But, they could have bought a nice used one, road-ready, for what they put into the rebuild.

You could be patient and catch one at the end of the camping season when prices tend to be at their lowest. Use the interim period to start looking and learning. We live in CO and looked at Hi-Lo's in CO, TX, NM & NE before finding what we wanted (balancing needs, wants and budget). BTW, we bought ours from Nelson's RV in Boise. They took it in on a trade and it sat on their lot all summer. By October, they wanted to get it sold.

Just my 2 cents.
piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #12

There's some really good advice and thoughts here. I had access to the one I've been working over through family, so my costs are all in the restoration and time aspects. I'm also the sort of guy that likes to "bring things back" so it's the sort of thing I am just crazy enough to attempt. Definitely not a project to be taken lightly and I'll be glad when it's done

I've also realized something else: When all of the restoration is done, it will be solid, but still an old camper that needs things like tires, new trailer harness (old one dragged on the ground) etc etc etc. So after finishing the main work, there's still the normal "used trailer" work to be done and paid for.

Also in the garage, some stuff to pull it:
1999 3/4 ton 'Burb
1993 Roadmaster wagon (well, it probably won't pull it)
r67northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #13

It's a lot like getting married..... how hard are you going to work on it???
The biggest reason to buy one is that they don't make 'em like that any more.

If it was A SOB ( some other box ) I would walk, but this is a Hi Lo! The numbers are dwindling. But don't commit unless it's is for you?
Old 07-27-2017, 05:58 PM   #14

Thanks for all of your advice. I'm going to keep shopping. He didn't accept my offer of $500 so we'll patiently pay attention and save our $$$ for possibly something better.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #15

Good, there is always the next one!
Old 07-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #16

i got a '64 800 voyager for free i found in a field with signed title taped to the door! since did have much time, but very little money in it. no time now on2 crutches and moving to ksu mon 31st. nice to meet you! it's for sale or trade for old class c . just getting over 7eral operations now tho.
mike
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #17
sam

Default Welcome to the forum

Glad you passed on this water damaged unit. I agree not paying his asking price. Several members gave you good advice. You will find a better unit in campable condition. Keep reading the forum and you will learn alot.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote