New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 10-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #11

That information is going to be super useful to me! Thank you so much. And also if you wouldn't mind forwarding me the information for the welder you used in Tucson? I could really use that as well. I am going to do just about everything I can think of and can afford to do to keep this from happening again. My children are super disappointed that we only got to camp one time before this accident. And so I'm I.

Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #12

Happy to be of help, Gwen. Here is the shop that did the work on our trailer: Truck Repair Tucson l Alignment l Suspension l Arizona Spring Company

As I said in post #27 of this thread: My Trailer is Overloaded they were working on two Oro Valley fire engines when I had my trailer there, so that really gave me a boost in confidence in their work.

I was finally able to mount larger, 225/75-R15 Load Range D, tires on my trailer with the axle moved forward and the trailer lifted 1 1/2". I had to go with different, 6" wide rims with these tires, but they were not particularly expensive. And, I later trimmed the skirting on the street side of the trailer so now the wheel and tire looks almost centered there (an easy job).

Besides the axle, wheel and tire change, I STRONGLY recommend the Tire Minder TPMS. It is super simple to install and works just about perfectly. Once in a VERY rare while, it loses the signal to one of the tires, but the alarm it shows is completely different than a pressure or temperature alarm and it only sounds briefly. Even though my truck has a built-in TPMS, I install the Tire Minder sensors on its tires too, because I want to monitor their temperature.

I've given a "user review" on the Tire Minder TPMS elsewhere in this forum.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #13

Default Thank you

Thank you again :0) Wish me luck!
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #14

Default Tire blowout

Hi Gwen we had a similar incident with a blown tire several months ago. If you have someone available who is handy with tools, and has a little welding experience you might go this route. I purchase two universal duel wheel metal fenders from Northerntool.com, #49082 and after a little modifications installed them in the existing wheel wells. Someone needs to get some accurate measurements of the inside of the wheel wells, then about three inches will need to be cut out of the center of the purchased fenders after which the two halves will need to be welded back together. these modified fenders then need to be thoroughly with spray undercoat then bolted in place inside the wheel wells on the Hi Lo. I would also suggest installing a piece of steel tubing to the back end of the new fender which should be welded to the trailer frame. Hope this helps. By the way I have had two blow outs with no warning from my Tireminder, so I'm not quite as confident as some.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #15

Default Tire blowout

Hi Gwen we had a similar incident with a blown tire several months ago. If you have someone available who is handy with tools, and has a little welding experience you might go this route. I purchase two universal duel wheel metal fenders from Northerntool.com, #49082 and after a little modifications installed them in the existing wheel wells. Someone needs to get some accurate measurements of the inside of the wheel wells, then about three inches will need to be cut out of the center of the purchased fenders after which the two halves will need to be welded back together. these modified fenders then need to be thoroughly with spray undercoat then bolted in place inside the wheel wells on the Hi Lo. I would also suggest installing a piece of steel tubing to the back end of the new fender which should be welded to the trailer frame. Hope this helps. By the way I have had two blow outs with no warning from my Tireminder, so I'm not quite as confident as some.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote