Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 PM   #1

Default I need a Hi-lo University

I'm the confused new owner of a 2004 24T. I'm reading the threads but I can't find an answer to my question. I'm looking at the Progressive Industries EMS units, but the pictures have plastic covers over the plug receiver. My trailer's plug looks like a household grounded plug. My dealer sold me a 30 amp to 50 amp dogbone that looks completely different. Am I looking at the right cord to be used in campsites? I looked all over my trailer for a plug to match the 30 amp dogbone, and nothing. How do I go from, as an example, a 50 amp outlet at a KOA to the progressive EMS protector, to the 110 cord? Please dumb the answer down for me, I've never had a camper and I've never went camping. Thanks!

KimmieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:18 AM   #2

Default Welcome to the Forum!

Welcome to the Forum!

It sounds like you have an adapter on the end of the shore power cord coming from your Hi-Lo that is to allow you to plug into a normal 110v receptacle. See if that adapter will come off. If that is what it is you will find the 30 amp prongs that will plug into the EMS unit.

This may be what the 30amp to 110V adapter may look like. It could also be round.
https://www.amazon.com/Arcon-13993-A...+30+amp+to+110

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
Site Team

Kimmie, Hi and welcome!

I may be misunderstanding something, but is it possible your shore power cord has been "modified" to have a 15Amp plug? If so, you should be able to take that plug off and replace it with a 30Amp plug. As far as I know, ALL HiLo trailers in recent years are 30Amp systems. You DO NOT need a 50Amp plug.

This is a Progressive Industries EMS that should work for a 30Amp system: https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...Industries+EMS

KOA and other campgrounds with hookups have 30Amp outlets at their campsites. Some campsites also offer the 50Amp outlet in addition to the 30Amp one, for the really big rigs. You will typically also find one or two 15Amp outlets in the posts at those campsites.

You will need to use the 30Amp supply if you are planning to run the Air Conditioner in your trailer.

I have a 30Amp to 15Amp adapter sort of like what Rich showed you (except mine has a short cord between the ends) that I use at home, to plug the trailer into house power if I want to use AC to power the refrigerator.

- Jack
Old 06-29-2017, 08:32 AM   #4

On my old 2176B, the Power Cord has to be placed Then removed for Travel because it connects at the Top Drivers side near the Exhaust Vent. No A/C, so no need for 30 Amp so it was 15amp. Both ends were the round size of a 30 Amp though. At sites with No 15 Amp, I had to use an Adapter as Rich shows. On my 2600TFB though, it's a 30 Amp Cord, connected at the Hi-Lo.

My Problem, because of my normal campsite, requires a 100' Cord, and it's pretty difficult finding any reasonably priced Cords to get to that length. Looks like I may have to get the wire & cord ends to make my own. But then, I probably won't use the A/C anyhow. Not enough 30 Amp Receptacles available anyway.
Bruce from Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #5

Rich and Jack, thank you so much for helping me! I'm sure my plug end looks like yours, but with the weather cover on the EMS picture I couldn't see it. (I have vision issues) The mail end of my cord has two straight up and down blades with a round grounding pin, like you would plug into an outlet in your living room. Is that what will fit into the EMS unit you sent the link for? Thanks again, my eyes are tearing up, you don't know how much I appreciate your help.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:42 AM   #6

Could you attach a photo of your trailer's cord end so we can see what you have? Your trailer should have the 30 amp slanted blades if wasn't messed with by a previous owner.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 06-29-2017, 11:53 AM   #7

Im going with the "adapter" scenario. Sounds lke a 15amp adapter on the end of your power cord, which, should be coming out of your trailer from a "box" on the front drivers side of the trailer. FYI- my Air conditioning cord is tucked down in a sort of hide-away-cubby in the bathroom ( not sure where it is on a 24 footer) and THAT plug has two straightish prongs and one that is sideways----just a heads up in case you start looking for it at some point. {There should be a matching outlet near by.} My guess is the dog-bone is plenty for those kinds of needs----If nothing else take a picture of what you have and post it.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Kimmie, if we haven't confused you enough already, here goes:

The plug you described with two straight, parallel prongs and a round grounding pin is a 15Amp plug.

A 30Amp plug will be bigger and the two flat blades will be in a "V" angled configuration, with the wide part of the "V" toward the rounded grounding plug it will also have. In the link that Rich gave you in his first post, it would fit into the receptacle that is on the right side of the adapter that is pictured.

The EMS link I posted would have a socket under the weather cover that looks like the one on the right side of the adapter that Rich posted - a 30Amp socket.

A 15Amp plug will NOT fit into a 30Amp socket.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #9

Oh my gosh, you guys. I went out to take a picture of my problem cord and sure enough, I pulled the adapter off of the end. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!! I was so worried. You're the best!
Old 06-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #10
Site Team

Cool! Keep the adapter. If the trailer is parked near a home outlet, you can plug the trailer into your "house power" now and then to bring the trailer battery up to a full charge state.

You can also run the trailer refrigerator on house power a day or so before leaving on a camping trip to cool it down before you load it with food.

- Jack
Old 06-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #11
sam

Default KimmieB

Welcome to the forum. Our guys are great with answering technical questions. Glad they got you straightened out. Keep the questions coming. And post pictures of any problem areas you may have.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieB View Post
Oh my gosh, you guys. I went out to take a picture of my problem cord and sure enough, I pulled the adapter off of the end. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!! I was so worried. You're the best!
I'm glad to hear that is all it was. We knew it had to be something simple. There is always someone here that can help.

HAPPY CAMPING!!!
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 07-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #13

Thanks Sam! We haven't taken our "maiden voyage" yet, so I'm sure I'll have more questions. Although, there have been so many issues covered in the forum that I'm learning a lot just reading what has been asked and answered.