New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 04-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #1

Default Introducing myself

Hi All,

Been thinking about buying a Hi Lo since last year. Kind of looked then but was torn about selling our 1988 Trans Van. Made a half hearted attempt at selling it last year but didn't follow through. After recent surgery (from which I'm still recovering) I'm committed! We originally bought the TV for comfort in traveling after a broken hip and femur in 2003. We stayed in hotels when we reached our destination.

When the girls were younger we had two different Apache popups that we camped in because I have never liked the canvas sides. Then we became empty nesters and didn't do much camping and traveled instead. Now the girls have families of their own and we have started some family camping events. Two 50 something's in a TV has been challenging to say the least lol.

Any tips about purchasing and/or owning a Hi Lo would be appreciated as we set out on the next leg of our camping adventures.

zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Welcome to the forum. We are a biased bunch here. I doubt you'll hear any of us say anything bad about our Hi-Lo's. Your best bet is to go to the reference library here on the forum and read through the brochures and owners manuals and see what you like. Below is a checklist that one of our members came up with. It has the major items you should look. Please feel free to ask any questions. There is a plethora of info on the forum.

This was taken from NDgent's post here on the forum. It is a great go-by list. You can do a search of thinking about buying and find his post to read it first hand.

Basically, start with the visual items
1. Exterior
Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
2. Interior cleanliness of the unit-
Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
3. Test appliance functions
lights
fans
refrigerator
air conditioner
heater
water pump
range hood
stovetop
oven (if equipped)
microwave (if equipped)
stereo (if equipped)
4. Lift System-
Does the unit raise and lower properly
Check the lift system for hydraulic leaks (puddle under the trailer)
Check the lift cables to see if they are in good shape and not frayed
Check the seal between the upper and lower body halves for tears or damage
5. fill the tanks to the top and check for leaks
6. Battery
7. Solar Panel (if equipped)

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
sam

Default Thinking about buying a HiLo

Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for advice and to have your questions answered.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #4

Default Introducing myself

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

also, if you post what city and state you live in, so our hi-lo buddies can possibly help you when you look at a possible candidate
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #6

Please indicate your general location and/or state when you become a site member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be helpfull, if everyone on this site, would "edit their user profile" so that it will post your general area at least, when you post or people look up your username...

it is under USER CP, EDIT YOUR DETAILS, at the bootom of that page, ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, has several blanks you can fill with as much detail or general info. I suggest at least state. I put a little more detail. It is especially helpful information in the for sale/trailer wanted thread.

signature means that line at the bottom of all my posts, and where you live is in the top right corner of my posts...

2006 22ft towlite (replaces 97 21TL)
2006 Toyota tacoma pre-runner 4.0 L V-6 quad cab
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #7

Added my location (Michigan). I have one that I have my eye on but he wants $5,500 and the most I can pay (until I sell the Transvan) is $4,000. I told him to keep us in mind if he changes his mind - even if it is later in the season.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
sam

Default Getting a HiLo

I just spent many Hrs searching a lot of sites for a 15ft. HiLo for my friend. I found one in Indianna that I think he will call on. My gut feeling is that they are plentiful used and newer. It is a buyers market. I know you will be a HiLo owner soon.!!
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #9

Default Ready to buy

Sold the Transvan today and now have two weeks to find our hi lo before the previously planned family camping trip in two weeks! Have been keeping an eye on one listed here in Michigan. It is a 31 foot that weighs 5100. Not being very familiar with towing requirements would our Ford F150 be able to tow it? We also would want to purchase a conversion van in the near future to tow it with. Would that be a possibility?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
Sold the Transvan today and now have two weeks to find our hi lo before the previously planned family camping trip in two weeks! Have been keeping an eye on one listed here in Michigan. It is a 31 foot that weighs 5100. Not being very familiar with towing requirements would our Ford F150 be able to tow it? We also would want to purchase a conversion van in the near future to tow it with. Would that be a possibility?
You can google tow rating for your year and model of TV and it will tell you what you can pull.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote