Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 04-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #1

Question Just bought a 22' Hi Lo

Just bought a 2007 22' Hi Lo. Looking forward to enjoying it. I'll have many questions. My first -- can the air conditioner be run off of a 2000 watt generator?

Davereilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:14 AM   #2

Welcome to the group!

Hard to say.....but you can check this article and sort it out:

https://www.steadypower.com/pages.php?pageid=133

piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome, Dave. I may be wrong, but I don't think you'll be able to run the AC off a 2000W generator. The problem is in the starting current, which will exceed the generator's max power rating. Once it has started, a 2000W generator will provide enough power to keep it running.

I think you'll need to use two, 2000W generators to operate the A/C that way.

- Jack
Old 04-15-2017, 01:09 PM   #4

Look at installing solar
Now it wouldn't run the a/c it will help keep your batteries charged up
You'll need 2 2,000 watt generators to run the a/c
I tend to camp where I don't need a/c and just use my ceiling vent fans
I have solar with two group27 deep cycle batteries (had to build a larger battery box to hold the larger batteries on my 2206 towlite)
By switching to LED light bulbs, I can go up to 7 days on battery power(even when I run furnace and water pump)
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #5

Welcome! Most of what I have read says you won't be able to run the ac on a 2000 watt generator. I've got one- but I have never tried it for the reasons jack says. I bought a "coupler" device that allows me to link two (champion) generators together and my buddy has one- so that is on my experimentation list for this spring. Some have suggested switching out the capacitor will allow you to do it.....but most of the stuff i have read says it wont work.

enjoy the trailer, though. Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #6

depends on what your surge wattage is at start up from the ac motor, and then your running wattage, when running constantly. if start up wattage is 2200 or more watts, then no. example if I had an air conditioner, and the surge start up was 1500 watts. I only have a 1300 watt surge generator with 1000 watt continuous output, constantly, when running, then no. 2000 watts wont run a 2000 watt ac unit, not for long wont even start it up.anyways. lol also then amperage comes into play with you. you could piggyback a smaller generator to your 2000 watter to boost it, you don't need another whole 2000 watt generator ,you don't need 4000 watts to run yer ac. ?????? get a window ac unit, save yerself money , hassle, and time, and fuel. run it off of generator at half to a 1/4 of what you are now. no ac unit in 2017 should even take 2000 watts to run, or start, unless you got a 50 ft camper.????

you could even try to piggy back from an inverter to it, from solar batteries.! give you that extra watt boost you need, its not much you need to boost it to start up. just hook it up a 750 to 1000 watt inverter my old camper I ran 2/ 5 watt cfl's, 2 of them, my tv, my computer desktop, charged my phones and tablet, my outside light, all day and night 24/7 for 4 days, off of 45 watt solar panels, and group 29 100 amphr battery w/20 amphr reserve. battery never fell below 11.4 vdc when there was no sun. that's when charge controller kicked in. really 2/ 2000 watt generators for 1 ac unit? I doubt that seriously, to me.
thanks mike
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #7

I've seen youtube vids of guys that modify the starting procedure (using capacitors, delaying fan,etc) of the stock ac. there are also models of ac's that run off lower 2k generators. It's either that or parallel two generators.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #8

right! it can all be modified ,but you don't need 2/ 2000 watt generators. to start 1 2000 watt ac unit.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #9

If it's stock you do.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #10

well if it was mine it would not be stock for long! LMAO! I also still don't believe it. two 2000 watt generators to start 1 2000 watt ac unit, come on? that's insane! if left alone, I ran my roof top ac in my 17 foot predator off my solar battery/inverter alone. lol it was a 1976 camper. with roof top ac. see 1st pic. also not trying to argue with any one. just disagree with what's being said.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro123 View Post
well if it was mine it would not be stock for long! LMAO! I also still don't believe it. two 2000 watt generators to start 1 2000 watt ac unit, come on? that's insane! if left alone, I ran my roof top ac in my 17 foot predator off my solar battery/inverter alone. lol it was a 1976 camper. with roof top ac. see 1st pic. also not trying to argue with any one. just disagree with what's being said.
Try it then let us know if it works.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #12
Site Team

And, I didn't intentionally try to mislead anyone with my saying it would take a second, 2000W generator to handle the starting load. I believe a single, 3000W generator would do the trick too. But, from the question, I was operating under the assumption that he already had a 2000W generator and that a second identical generator would be cheaper, and more useful than a new 3000W unit.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #13

oh, I misunderstood jack ,sorry. didn't mean anything by it. also never said you tried to intentionally mislead anyone at all! I haven't ever thought that at all.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #14

also, I said, I just got this it will run rooftop ac no problems. so I don't think you need 2000 watts! I got this one brand new not even out of the box yet. that will peak 4000 and constant 3250.. so why do I need to try and hook up to the 4000 watts to other stuff? I have 110vac window ac, anyways.
lol
run it all my friend!
thank you!
that guy! =nice to meet you!
Power to keep things running. Perfect for emergencies,
> > camping and more, with 120-volt and 12-volt outlets.
> > •4000 peak/3250 running watts
> > •7 HP OHV engine
> > •Runs up to 10 hours at 50% load on 20 lbs. of LP
> gas
> > •Automatic fuel shutoff safety valve
> > •Operating noise less than 68dB
> > •Two 120-volt AC outlets
> > •One 12-volt DC outlet
> > •EPA-approved
> > •Includes hose/regulator
> > has battery cables and spark plug wrench
> > •90-day limited warranty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg generator.jpg (15.5 KB, 77 views)
Old 04-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #15

My bad, like Jack I misunderstood. I thought you were trying to run a 2k watt generator to run a stock a.c. Nice to meet you too.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #16
Site Team

Yes, Mike - that 4000 peak Watt, 3250 continuous Watt rated generator should have no trouble running the roof AC.

- Jack
Old 04-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #17

I said you cant run an AC with 2000 watt generator (that is my peak watts on my Champion-not running watts) but I should have said you can't START one. So, in that case, I would run two in parallel to start it. With a good 3000 watt generator or a bit better my hope would be you could start it with just that.

Rick

4x4
Old 04-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #18

Thanks for the generator thoughts. I have completely abandoned that idea. What follows is a post I made on the furnace sub forum:

We are on our shakedown cruise on our new, to us, 2008 22' Hi Lo. We are at Nehalem Bay State Park in Oregon and it has rained for three days. Having a problem with the furnace. Initially it fired up and ran through several cycles successfully. On the morning of our second day it wouldn't ignite and run. I noticed the flashing red light fault indicator. After accessing several web sites I learned that one flash followed by a 3 second pause, followed by another flash (which is what our furnace was doing) meant there was a air flow constriction or possibly a problem with the upper level sensor switch. I also noticed the manual reset switch on the furnace unit. I reset the switch and the furnace fired up and ran successfully through several cycles when it failed to ignite again. We have repeated that pattern several times. We also purchased an electric space heater which is working fine. Now, my questions. First, any ideas about why the furnace is behaving the way it does? Finally, am I doing any damage to the furnace by using the reset switch to restart the furnace?

Actually the shake down is gong well. We love the trailer. It tows well with our Ford Expedition. The trailer is dry and stuff, except for the furnace, works well. We own a couple of boats and are used to fixing things. I do worry about the lifting system, since that seems difficult to fix and can be a tripender. We are going to enjoy this!
Davereilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #19
Site Team

The lifting system is actually very trouble-free, if you apply the recommended maintenance. Keeping the guide bar clean and lubricated and inspecting and lubricating the cables are the main things.

- Jack
Old 04-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #20

I have a 2001 22 ft towlite and the lift system is one of the last things I worry about. It is pretty straight forward and, I agree, if you take care of it it will likely take care of you. If something goes wrong it seems to be a pretty straight forward trouble-shooting scenario and enough folks have fixed them that I cant believe yu run into something that isn't covered on a past thread. Enjoy it.

Rick

4x4