Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 04-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #1

Default Looking at a 22T...need opinion.

Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forum. I decided last year after seeing a Hi Li...I wanted one. I found one yesterday that has been parked for at least 4 years (outdoors) and needs some TLC. I want your option on the attached photos, any specific things you recommend checking out before purchase and what it is truly worth?

Trailer details:
2005 Hi Lo 22T
Parked outside most of it life.

Visible issues:
Tires - holding air but cracked
Brakes-TBD
Awning - cracked/sun damaged, also left hinge is broke (he has replacement part)
Fiberglass end caps- cracked around screws. The back cap has splits on top.
Top(roof) first two seams have cracks in caulking....maybe dented.

Inside:
The batteries...looked terrible...It raised to full open position without any issues. (I'm guessing the solar panel is still working).
No evidence of leaks or water damage.
Furniture/fixtures: No evidence of abuse. A couple pieces of trim are loose and a broken light cover. It just needs a good cleaning and TLC.
Currently, it is sitting in an RV lot with no access to water of electricity. I've told the owner that I want to get water/electricity on it to see if everything is working. Maybe this weekend.

Bottom line:
What do you think?
How expensive is it to replace end caps?
Should I be worried about the top(roof)?
What are the "gotchas" with waking up a Hi Lo that has been sitting (outdoors) for years?
What's it worth?
I'm fairly handy...so I don't mind a project...or should I keep looking?
Thanks,
Bo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camper 1.jpg (103.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg camper 4.jpg (170.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg camper 7.jpg (170.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg camper 14.jpg (144.2 KB, 6 views)

Bodacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi and welcome! Just looking at your pictures and from your description, it appears to me the deterioration is mostly "cosmetic", except for the awning. If the awning is cracked, the fabric would most likely have to be replaced, which can be a bit of a job, due to the internal spring. You can probably find out the cost of an awning online.

The end caps can be stop drilled at the end of the cracks and then you can fill the cracks with caulk such as Lexel (DO NOT use silicone caulks!), or you could probably patch the cracks with fiberglass. The end caps tend to crack (mine have) and the stop drill/fill with Lexel repair works pretty well.

Since the top raised, your battery is in a good charge state. The solar panel WILL NOT raise the top. It uses a high-Amperage motor and the ONLY thing that drives the motor is a strong 12V source. The voltage converter in the trailer that charges the battery will not deliver enough power to raise the top either.

I'd get new tires and DO check the brakes and wheel bearings.

You didn't say anything about water stains on the ceiling or on the walls inside. If there are none, it would seem your top is sound (no water leaks). But if you DO see stains, then you could be in for a complicated, extensive repair. I'd caulk the roof seams with Lexel and possibly cover them with EternaBond tape to seal the cracks you see.

I don't know what a fair price for this trailer would be, but it is not in "excellent" shape. There are posts in this forum that refer to a trailer pricing guide whose name escapes me at the moment (fading brain cells).

There are also several posts here referring to a checklist you should follow when buying a Hi-Lo.

Good luck!

- Jack

Old 04-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
sam

Default Buying HiLo

Jack gave yousome good advice on repairing the screw hole cracks. No need to replace the end caps. Awnings do ware out and this can be a do it your self repair. Utube has a tutorial on this. Find the buyers check list and use it before buying. Climb on the roof carefully and check for soft spots. Press on the walls both interior and exterior to check for delamination. Anything that is wrong with this unit can be fixed. Crawl underneath and look at the hydrolics,guide rod and ram. Get this unit at a good price or else pass on it. WWW.NADA guides.com Don't hesitate to pass this one up if need be. We are here for advice.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forum. I decided last year after seeing a Hi Li...I wanted one. I found one yesterday that has been parked for at least 4 years (outdoors) and needs some TLC. I want your option on the attached photos, any specific things you recommend checking out before purchase and what it is truly worth?

Trailer details:
2005 Hi Lo 22T
Parked outside most of it life.

Visible issues:
Tires - holding air but cracked
Brakes-TBD
Awning - cracked/sun damaged, also left hinge is broke (he has replacement part)
Fiberglass end caps- cracked around screws. The back cap has splits on top.
Top(roof) first two seams have cracks in caulking....maybe dented.

Inside:
The batteries...looked terrible...It raised to full open position without any issues. (I'm guessing the solar panel is still working).
No evidence of leaks or water damage.
Furniture/fixtures: No evidence of abuse. A couple pieces of trim are loose and a broken light cover. It just needs a good cleaning and TLC.
Currently, it is sitting in an RV lot with no access to water of electricity. I've told the owner that I want to get water/electricity on it to see if everything is working. Maybe this weekend.

Bottom line:
What do you think?
How expensive is it to replace end caps?
Should I be worried about the top(roof)?
What are the "gotchas" with waking up a Hi Lo that has been sitting (outdoors) for years?
What's it worth?
I'm fairly handy...so I don't mind a project...or should I keep looking?
Thanks,
Bo
Those are large cracks on the end caps and I would recommend fiberglass cloth and resin on both sides of all of the cracks. It takes a good eye and a little patience to get the resin feathered so it doesn't look like a "glob" of stuff. I guess I don't have the eyes for it as my repairs do not look so neat.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #5

I just went through a what was thought to be a minor accident on the front cap. Turned out to be very extensive due to the impact. To start, the caps are very hard to find if not impossible(we tried) not to mention very expensive. The repair shop had to cut the corner out large enough to repair and weld the aluminum frame inside and then do a fiberglass repair. Anything is repairable depends on how deep one wants to go and how deep ones pockets are. Here's a before and after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camperdamage2.jpg (186.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20170423_143933.jpg (62.8 KB, 6 views)
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:58 PM   #6

Nice looking fiberglass repair. My end cap repair is something I have been putting as to do it right I likely need to remove both caps which entails lots screw extraction and then fiberglass cloth repair. I've done a good deal of repair on canoes- but it usually doesn't llok that great once it is done...but they don't leak which is usually my number one consideration. I got a number of cracks a few years ago after a particularly bad cold winter up here in Wisconsin which seemed to do a number on of travel trailers in these parts. Jack has given you good advice as did GAry and Sam.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
sam

Default Fiberglass repair

TOM M. had his HiLo repaired at a place that specializes in Auto body work. Get an estimate from a shop. Then you can negotiate your price based on this. If I were to repair it guaranteed it would look like rank amateur.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:31 PM   #8

Hi Rick, I am in sc Wisconsin, Nice to meet you! I have cracks on all four end caps, took it a local guy who said he couldn't do a fiberglass repair. What is that drill stop thing?

Dawn
Daffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffie View Post
Hi Rick, I am in sc Wisconsin, Nice to meet you! I have cracks on all four end caps, took it a local guy who said he couldn't do a fiberglass repair. What is that drill stop thing?

Dawn
The cracking is from stress on the material. If you drill a small, 1/8", hole at the very end of the crack that distributes the stress in all directions which should stop the crack from lengthening. That's a technique used in such things as bridge beams.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:38 PM   #10

Thank you Rick! The one corner by the end of the awning is pretty bad, like it could break off if it got hit or something,. Is there any kind of adhesive I can use to kind of pull it together? The stop will work for the other cracks. We tried some bonding stuff you mix up but it looks bad, it's gray, yuck! Preventing leaks was the priority, lol.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Thank you Rick! The one corner by the end of the awning is pretty bad, like it could break off if it got hit or something,. Is there any kind of adhesive I can use to kind of pull it together? The stop will work for the other cracks. We tried some bonding stuff you mix up but it looks bad, it's gray, yuck! Preventing leaks was the priority, lol.
Hi Daffie, I have found the best way to stop those cracks is with resin and fiberglass cloth. Messy job but it seems to do the trick. And yes, I've tried Bondo but it does not hold up.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #12

Where do I purchase these things? I'm not afraid to tackle it, just not experienced at all. I so appreciate the help!
Old 05-24-2017, 11:20 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Where do I purchase these things? I'm not afraid to tackle it, just not experienced at all. I so appreciate the help!
Automotive parts stores like Pep Boys, Checker, etc., and hardware stores such as ACE are good bets. You might find some of these things at Home Depot and Lowes too.

Don't be afraid to describe what you are trying to repair. The people in some of these places, especially ACE, can be very helpful.

- Jack