Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 07-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #1

Default To be mine 1962 snyder hi lo

Hello to anyone who still browses this site. I am going to look at a 1962 snyder hi lo camper in a few hours. Think it is maybe 10ft.

I tried to type in the the search bar the "checklist" but it didnt come up with anything relevant imo.

Just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers in the next few hours before I go look at this vintage trailer.

Thanks, if not still good chance I get, if its towable I will likely get it anyway.

Camper86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Hope you're going to tell us you got it! Without a doubt, I would get it, depending on cost. I'd really like to see pics of it, and your future changes. Best of luck.

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Hope you're going to tell us you got it! Without a doubt, I would get it, depending on cost. I'd really like to see pics of it, and your future changes. Best of luck.
So yes I got it...owner thought it was a 1962, but when we looked at registration its listed as a 1974 Snyder VIN is 3900

Hope the pictures upload for you to see...

It needs the inside walls removed and re done, fresh coat of paint, maybe some new foam cushions then re wrap in new material. Ceiling looks like it had water damage, owner said it didnt leak tho.

Guess it has an aluminum roof? will have to start to take it a part next weekend to see what I got myself into! Tons of wasps around so think they are in ceiling.

What I want to do is remove the stove, and install a mini fridge. the battery is in that spot now but will have to relocate I guess. wiring for lights inside I doubt works, maybe do solar panel on roof or just battery powered. Just digesting it all now, hope to find some friendly people who can help me out along the way!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hi-lo 1.jpg (67.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg hi-lo 3.jpg (37.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg hi-lo 4.jpg (34.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg hi-lo 5.jpg (24.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-23-2018, 12:17 AM   #4

Awesome it looks similar to the tow low I just picked up. I will also be cutting mine and redoing it all! Post pics while
You do it!
Medicgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicgio View Post
Awesome it looks similar to the tow low I just picked up. I will also be cutting mine and redoing it all! Post pics while
You do it!
For sure will do, what does your interior look like?
Old 07-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #6
Site Team

This is great! a '68 and a '74 found at the same time. It'd be fun to work together via the forum, because you'll find many similarities between the two.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #7

Default Inside

Today I’m going to work on fitting in garage. Hopefully I can get that done early and can start stripping out the cabinets and furniture. My hope is next weekend to get the top disconnected and up off the lower to start stripping the walls and everything out. Dude feel freee to message me. These are both obscure I’m sure we can help each other out. We need an easier way to communicate lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E57F9E0B-14B9-4C4F-B0EC-885DA81F6F62.jpg (148.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg EC7C029D-883F-47C1-B646-8D3A4314E4C0.jpg (221.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg B95863B9-957B-49EF-93AA-678312F1BEFE.jpg (215.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #8

Nice that looks way better than mine on the inside! I did send an email to Hi Lo to see if they could tell me the year of my unit via the VIN #, not sure if they will respond or not.

I think mine is from the 60's because it is a manual crank with no hydraulics at all. The seem to be in the 70's models
Old 07-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #9

Mine is actually a tow low but so similar is almost everyway. Mine is also crank. But I got
A guy who is gonna help me make it electric
Old 07-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Mine is actually a tow low but so similar is almost everyway. Mine is also crank. But I got
A guy who is gonna help me make it electric
That would be sweet, keep me posted on that! I am hoping the cables on mine are good, need to find what maintenance needs to be performed to them.

In my humble opinion the search bar on this site is not that great when trying to find stuff in my searches so far
Old 07-23-2018, 09:29 PM   #11

Ya
It can be a little lacking but it is a
Small community. Like I said I’d be happy to exchange emails if you want so we can share info.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper86 View Post
In my humble opinion the search bar on this site is not that great when trying to find stuff in my searches so far
You are right, the search function is lacking. But, here's a trick that makes life way better.

In your browser search bar, type the desired topic, say, 'hydraulic fluid', followed by, "site:.www.hilotrailerforum.com"

Like this:

hydraulic fluid site:.www.hilotrailerforum.com

Doing that puts your search over to Google, instead of the forum search function.
piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:21 AM   #13

Nice thank you I’ll try that
Old 07-25-2018, 06:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjim View Post
You are right, the search function is lacking. But, here's a trick that makes life way better.

In your browser search bar, type the desired topic, say, 'hydraulic fluid', followed by, "site:.www.hilotrailerforum.com"

Like this:

hydraulic fluid site:.www.hilotrailerforum.com

Doing that puts your search over to Google, instead of the forum search function.
That is interesting will have to try it out.

Started to tear interior apart, stove is out gonna look to try find a propane fridge to put in its spot instead. Have no idea how long a propane stove will run on a bbq size propane bottle for...this is my 1st trailer.

The walls are a super this glued on laminate wood almost. there definitely is signs of water damage on some of the wood arond the windows. Also will have to redo the 1''x2'' ceiling supports before adding a new ceiling.

What have people used for new ceiling and wall boards that is lightweight and thin?
Old 07-28-2018, 11:51 AM   #15

Has anyone replaced and added in more roof supports in their older hi lo? Also kind of material did you use to replace some of the inside side walls and ceiling?
Old 07-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #16

Default Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper86 View Post
Has anyone replaced and added in more roof supports in their older hi lo? Also kind of material did you use to replace some of the inside side walls and ceiling?
Hey man.
I just got my garage ready to fit my project lol so haven’t actually started more than planning at this point. But I am going to be cutting mine and going all new everything. As for as roof supports I’d imagine you could weld some in as they are meta frames. As far as the walls go I’ll be using some wood paneling for my walls. I’m also going to fix any insulation and replace all window seals. Gonna be a labor of love for sure.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Hey man.
I just got my garage ready to fit my project lol so haven’t actually started more than planning at this point. But I am going to be cutting mine and going all new everything. As for as roof supports I’d imagine you could weld some in as they are meta frames. As far as the walls go I’ll be using some wood paneling for my walls. I’m also going to fix any insulation and replace all window seals. Gonna be a labor of love for sure.
My roof supports are wood. Haven't looked at how the windows come out. I have one panel of glass at the rear that is broken and could used replacing. Guess I need to take it out and then go to a glass shop.

First I need to put new supports across the underside of the roof. Then I will try to find some small aluminum patches then eternaband tape across seems then repaint the roof with elastomeric paint.

Once the roof gets done, then may try to remove and re seal windows. Need to try my best to make it water tight before I think of putting up new walls inside.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:16 PM   #18

hi look at mine under 1964 i found in a field. need help just ask ty mike need parts lighting whatever!
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro123 View Post
hi look at mine under 1964 i found in a field. need help just ask ty mike need parts lighting whatever!
Hey maestro I have a tow low (pretty similar I know) any chance you can take pics of your cable system? I’m going to disconnect mine to remove the top to completely redo it. Any chance our systems are the same? Also I may just replace all the cables while I’m doing it so Where did you get your replacements? Thanks man!
Old 07-31-2018, 07:35 PM   #20

ANyone had issues with the upper top rail not wanting to stay inside the bottom part guide? It seems like there is a big gap and there should be a tighter fit?

I know it being hella old leads to things not working or if it was moved while opened that can mess with stuff.

What do people use for inside wall panel replacements? Dont really want wood panels, found some fiberglass ones but not sure if they can be painted