Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 07-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #21
Site Team

Several people have re-walled their units with cheap paneling, installing it backside out, thus allowing for primer and paint to adhere easier. Final result--looks great. We used "TSP", a product in the paint dept, that when used properly, preps paneling for paint, also works great.

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Several people have re-walled their units with cheap paneling, installing it backside out, thus allowing for primer and paint to adhere easier. Final result--looks great. We used "TSP", a product in the paint dept, that when used properly, preps paneling for paint, also works great.
backside out? I don't quite understand that sorry. Do you mean a wood panel was used but you put the wood panel side facing out and prepped and painted the backside of the panel which was actually the side showing inside the trailer?

Camper86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:00 AM   #23
Site Team

Sorry I took so long to answer. Yes, find cheap 1/4" paneling with a smooth backside. This gives a smooth surface rather than the regular grooved panel look. Once in place, it can be primed and painted for a custom look. Many paints now come with the primer mixed in to skip that step. On the old paneling, we painted the lower half a warm grey, then painted all the cabinets and trim gloss white for easy cleaning. Then mixed some white and grey for a lighter grey upper half. Painted the ceiling white also. Made the whole place look much larger. Super easy to wipe down with soap and water. Main thing was to get rid of that tired old stuffy dark paneling look.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper86 View Post
Hello to anyone who still browses this site. I am going to look at a 1962 snyder hi lo camper in a few hours. Think it is maybe 10ft.

I tried to type in the the search bar the "checklist" but it didnt come up with anything relevant imo.

Just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers in the next few hours before I go look at this vintage trailer.

Thanks, if not still good chance I get, if its towable I will likely get it anyway.
Get on the roof, look for cracks, run all appliances, raise and lower unit, take awning in and out, flush and run water, check under sinks, toilet for leaks.
Hope that helps,
lws4049
Lws4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Hello to anyone who still browses this site. I am going to look at a 1962 snyder hi lo camper in a few hours. Think it is maybe 10ft.

I tried to type in the the search bar the "checklist" but it didnt come up with anything relevant imo.

Just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers in the next few hours before I go look at this vintage trailer.

Thanks, if not still good chance I get, if its towable I will likely get it anyway.
look for roof leaks which can cause serious damage over time including, lift cable rusting, wallpaper sagging, rotting roof deck

Chris Stoute
416 225 2654
Chris Stoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #26

My husband has a 1962 Hilo in the garage. It suffered a lot of water damage after being vandalized that we were not aware happened. So we started to take the outer skin off and it was all rot inside the walls. The inside didnt suffer too much except for aging. We got it into the garage and there it sits. I calculated an rough price to have it restored by the people who bought the HiLo warehouse but it would be too much to transport it. Otherwise I would do it in a heartbeat. We are in PreaPrescott His dad was original owner and my husband bought it from him in the late 70s. I may be able to help a little. I painted part of the interior walls years ago and did not like it so I didnt do the rest. I made new cushions, curtains and replaced the floor with stick on tiles (they sell much nicer stick ons nowadays). I would love to restore but don’t know how to go about it as my husband is aging and so am I. We gave an 85 Chieftan Winnebago we are using these days locally. I would live to pull the HiLo behind it! Looking forward to your pics. Hopefully I can post an exterior link to Flickr. Https://flic.kr/s/aHsmpt3jjj
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #27

Good luck. It’s a very satisfying process to see bring it back to life base on your vision and hard work. Enjoy the journey!
Eastern Kansas
TheWebbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #28

Quote:
So yes I got it...owner thought it was a 1962, but when we looked at registration its listed as a 1974 Snyder VIN is 3900

Hope the pictures upload for you to see...

It needs the inside walls removed and re done, fresh coat of paint, maybe some new foam cushions then re wrap in new material. Ceiling looks like it had water damage, owner said it didnt leak tho.

Guess it has an aluminum roof? will have to start to take it a part next weekend to see what I got myself into! Tons of wasps around so think they are in ceiling.

What I want to do is remove the stove, and install a mini fridge. the battery is in that spot now but will have to relocate I guess. wiring for lights inside I doubt works, maybe do solar panel on roof or just battery powered. Just digesting it all now, hope to find some friendly people who can help me out along the way!!
You sure have a wonderful project to complete. Keep the photos coming. It great to keep these old trailers on the road.

John Fargnoli
2403 Tow-Lite
2007 Aspen
Equalizer Hitch
rvranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #29

We used 1/4" luan paneling. Primed then painted.
Eastern Kansas
TheWebbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:01 PM   #30

hey yeah if i ever get out of this dam wc. cable system is prolly exact same i coul walk ya thru putting in new cables which i did in my post some right some may be wrong nt a know it all. lol check out my post (1964 i found free in a field) take old timers advice they gave me, replace ,all4 cables one at a time i explain in 1 post exactly how to do it but others have lots more info its just how i did mine sides or back shouldnt matter still same strategy if i can help more just ask ty if you need leds let me know 12vdc run off solar i have lots of parts rebuilt, sanded, stained my '64 inside put in solar 12 vdc-120vac variable controller took stove out hid it under counter it now serves to cook in summer heat in winter, put mini frdge in its place look at my post 26,000 views! lol sure may be 1 or 2 inches off left to right or front to back but who gives a rats arse cant notice it unless yer looking for it dont change yer living space! just read my whole post 9 pages tho lol tree clmber, jack and jant, garry, sam all help ya out but they all got newr models i aint rich as all them j/k oh by the way making my up/down crank 12vdc also
ty mike
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #31

man i didnt and wouldnt attempt to take top off course had no way to do i. if you can thats best way to go,by the way i have a '64 voyager 800
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #32

Wow tons of replies thanks everyone!

I am hoping to get to do some work to the trailer this weekend. Waiting for a couple supplies to arrive that I got online. I do have a new roof mounted vent that I am hoping to install, but need to re brace the roof on the inside first.

What sandpaper grit did you all use to prep the outside metal exterior for paint. I am going to have to use a seperate primer I think to go over the black first. Not too sure what the colours of the trailer are going to be yet
Old 08-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #33

Can someone help me find a post...I tried but haven't found exactly what I am after.

My top by the door when lifted doesnt sit inside the track near the door unless you push it in. Is there a way to fix this so its a more snug and tight fit to the lower body?

Ideally it would be without buying new, I am trying to do this trailer on a budget. It seems like the top rails are quite a bit narrower than the bottom guide tracks.

Thanks for any help of how to fix or links to a thread with a descriptive write up already on this topic
Old 08-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #34

I looked at your thread! Great help! Our cable system isn’t actually that old the guy I got it from had it replaced w in the last ten years. I am just taking too off to redo everything. I’ll take any info you got! Gonna redo wiring and gas as well for new appliances!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro123 View Post
hey yeah if i ever get out of this dam wc. cable system is prolly exact same i coul walk ya thru putting in new cables which i did in my post some right some may be wrong nt a know it all. lol check out my post (1964 i found free in a field) take old timers advice they gave me, replace ,all4 cables one at a time i explain in 1 post exactly how to do it but others have lots more info its just how i did mine sides or back shouldnt matter still same strategy if i can help more just ask ty if you need leds let me know 12vdc run off solar i have lots of parts rebuilt, sanded, stained my '64 inside put in solar 12 vdc-120vac variable controller took stove out hid it under counter it now serves to cook in summer heat in winter, put mini frdge in its place look at my post 26,000 views! lol sure may be 1 or 2 inches off left to right or front to back but who gives a rats arse cant notice it unless yer looking for it dont change yer living space! just read my whole post 9 pages tho lol tree clmber, jack and jant, garry, sam all help ya out but they all got newr models i aint rich as all them j/k oh by the way making my up/down crank 12vdc also
ty mike
Medicgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #35

I will pull mine out and take a look at it when I’m home from the fire station man.

Quote:
Can someone help me find a post...I tried but haven't found exactly what I am after.

My top by the door when lifted doesnt sit inside the track near the door unless you push it in. Is there a way to fix this so its a more snug and tight fit to the lower body?

Ideally it would be without buying new, I am trying to do this trailer on a budget. It seems like the top rails are quite a bit narrower than the bottom guide tracks.

Thanks for any help of how to fix or links to a thread with a descriptive write up already on this topic
Old 08-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #36

I have a 68 and completely rebuilt the top half. Camped in it for the last 4 yrs and now it's a mobile photo booth for my business. Enjoy the build!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5060.jpg (316.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 68C35FEB-BF66-46ED-B124-3ACD6EF4A4FE.jpg (294.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 8C48952C-D557-42CD-A80B-36771E6B0202.jpg (392.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2243.JPG (188.5 KB, 7 views)
hbassani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:38 PM   #37

Looks great! Did u separate the top and bottom to replace the inner paneling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbassani View Post
I have a 68 and completely rebuilt the top half. Camped in it for the last 4 yrs and now it's a mobile photo booth for my business. Enjoy the build!!
Old 08-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #38

@hbassani- That looks awesome, nearly identical to mine other than the location of the stove.

This weekend has been a write off with guests around which is always nice, but just didnt leave me any time to tackle the trailer. I was gonna try to put on my utility trailer tire to see how it would fit but looks like that will have to wait also.

The plan is to have it in camping condition by Sept. might not be painted by then but hopefully interior will at least be put back together
Old 08-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #39

been super busy, but got to re inforce the roof a bit, hoping to get to the new roof vent and roof next.

Still unsure of what interior side panels and ceiling I want to put in. something affordable and side panels need to be paintable.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #40

How are you doing the interior panneing? Did you separate the top and bottom? If so how’d it go? If not how are you doing it. Thanks!