Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 04-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #1

Default New to Camping

Hey ya'll!
Instead of taking a honeymoon, my wife and I decided to get a camper. We've been poor, so after many months of saving, we could buy a cheap camper and make some repairs to make it our own! We found a cheap hi-lo that a guy was selling cheap because he was moving and couldn't take it with him.
We knew it had some water damage, but everything else works on it.
We are now in the process of gutting it, putting up new curtains, and repainting the cupboards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Apr 04, 09 44 19.jpg (266.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Apr 04, 09 48 03.jpg (231.6 KB, 15 views)

chicken89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #2

Welcome chicken, there is a lot of information on this site about remolding the hilo camper, have any question just ask.

ltblueblzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #3

Congrats, looks like a big one,

1985 Funmaker 19R
2004 Chevy Avalanche. Z66
My name is Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #4

Congratulations. If you like to fix things an old camper is the way to go! We have had a lot of fun with ours.
Wannafishmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #5
sam

Default Welcome to the forum.

Congrats to the newlyweds. Many of us have had to fix water damage. I would strongly advise to fix the water damage before you do any cosmetic upgrades. A trailer of this vintage is certainly well made and worth the time and effort to repair. Take out all your windows and reseal. UTube has a video on this. While the windows are out you will be able to see the layers of your wall/condition. We are here for any questions you may have.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #6

unfortunately, we have been married for 11+ years. we have only been able to squirrel a few dollars away to save for a "honeymoon" this past year. I perked my wife's interests in getting a camper when i said, "hey, instead of spending a lot of money on a week for a honeymoon, how about we buy a camper that we can use many times throughout the year, and for multiple years?" She liked that idea much better, so the hunt was on!!!
my original plans were to get an enclosed trailer and custom build the inside to make it livable. i saw the camper that we got a week or so ago for a higher price, but with the knowledge that it had water damage, i was not going to buy it. i looked online for an enclosed trailer that I was going to get, but the ad was gone (sold). the camper we got was at half the price due to the owner moving out of state that night, so i was able to get it cheap. my ball hitch was also too small, so he sold me is tri ball hitch for $25 so i could get the camper home.
chicken89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:38 AM   #7

You will love it! You will have a hobby for the weekends when you are not traveling and you will be able to enjoy the fruit of your labor when traveling. Plus, the cost of the Rv park is so much more affordable than any hotel. Last, you always feel "at home" because it is YOUR little home. I always feel strange in hotel rooms.
Wannafishmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannafishmore View Post
You will love it! You will have a hobby for the weekends when you are not traveling and you will be able to enjoy the fruit of your labor when traveling. Plus, the cost of the Rv park is so much more affordable than any hotel. Last, you always feel "at home" because it is YOUR little home. I always feel strange in hotel rooms.
Something to think about. You can't giveaway a used mattress, but people don't give a second thought to sleeping in Hotels.

1985 Funmaker 19R
2004 Chevy Avalanche. Z66
My name is Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #9

You are still newlyweds we have been married 35 years in Nov. Enjoy your new camper.

ltblueblzr is offline   Reply With Quote