Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 10-29-2018, 10:42 AM   #1

Default New to HI-LO

We just bought a 1983 17' HI-LO and now we realize it doesn't have any weather stripping on the front between the top and bottom. The table was in the way and after taking that out, I can look down and see the ground. Please help. We are new to trailers....much less a HI-LO, and we need to learn a lot.

Mooseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi, Moose, and welcome! What you are missing is called a "bulb seal" and it can be obtained from J&R - you'll see references to them all over the forum. The technique for installing this bulb seal is also covered in various posts in the forum. It's a bit difficult, and involves separating the two halves to do it.

A "temporary" or "interim" fix would be to place pool noodles or foam pipe insulation (which you can get at any home improvement store) into the crack when the top is raised for camping. These would have to be removed before lowering the top, which is the minor disadvantage to this fix.

The purpose of the bulb seal is to stop drafts and bug entry, so anything that does this is fine.

- Jack

Old 10-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #3

Here is a link to JR Repair:
Home - JR REPAIR
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
sam

Default Welcome to the forum.

There are other sources on the internet for obtaining 3/4 hollow p bulb seal with a 1"stem. Are you thinking about replacing the seal your self? Back posts on how to seperate the halves and do the job your self.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #5

Yeah, that's the case with my 1995 Hi-Lo. I just bought a bunch of cheap towels and stuck them in there, all around. I think this keeps out the cold better than noodles. Just my opinion.
vidyaishaya is offline   Reply With Quote