Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 05-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #1

Default New to Hi-Lo - having trouble

Hello!
Recently gifted a 1991 Funmaker Classic. It has been stored/used in the upright position for years. Trying to put it down so we can bring her home and give her a once over before we get going.
Any ideas on how to release the locking cable/mechanism so we can put her down for transport?
Have plugged her in and there is definitely life in the hydraulic pump to put her up. Just can't disengage the safety to let her down.
HELP, and thanks!
Peggy
PS: is there a manual pump/jack to let her down or put her up should electricity not be available? Can't see anything that resembles such a thing.

Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #2

Peggy, Try raising the top some more. Sometimes the top will "drift" down a tiny bit and rest on the safety bar. So push the raise switch while pulling the release cable. Hopefully this will do the trick for you. I believe the term given to this situation is the "HiLo creep".

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #3

Bob I think you got it... I always drop mine onto the Safety bar to take weight off the cables. It doesn't get out of adjustment that way.
2005retired2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:53 PM   #4

Default Safety bar doesn't take weight off the cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005retired2005 View Post
Bob I think you got it... I always drop mine onto the Safety bar to take weight off the cables. It doesn't get out of adjustment that way.
2005retire2005 Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the safety bar doesn't take the weight off the cables. If you don't believe me, crawl under your camper and grab one of the cables and you will see it is still holding the top up. The only thing your going to end up doing is bending the safety bar. The main cylinder, if it or the pump doesn't leak keeps the camper up. I can put my camper up and it doesn't drop down on the safety bar for months.

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #5

Peggy
The release cable is located near the master switch. A little coated cable with a loop in the end.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:30 PM   #6
Site Team

And, Peggy - in case you have been confused by the preceding posts, this is the COMPLETE procedure:
1. Press the UP/DOWN switch to the UP position. You MAY hear a "squeal" when the top reaches its uppermost limit. This is normal and does not hurt anything.
2. Pull the release cable toward you. You should feel it move.
3. While holding the release cable toward you, move the UP/DOWN switch to the DOWN position.
4. After the top has moved a few inches down (6 inches would be enough), you can let go of the release cable. The top should continue to the full down position (if you continue to hold the switch DOWN) where it will rest on the "outriggers" that extend from the lower half. At that point, release the UP/DOWN switch.
From what you describe, this should work and get you ready to travel.

- Jack
Old 05-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005retired2005 View Post
The owners manual says not to drop the top onto the safety bar. It's not meant to hold that amount of weight on a continual basis.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #8

Lets see My Guns have a safety for what.... Just because the camper rest on the safety bar keeps the cable from the weight of the top. If you crawl under it and pull on the cable does nothing. My top stays up to but wait till the little o-ring gives out by the pump.
2005retired2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #9

Just get yerself BFSH at the hardware store, and knock that thing out of the way! lmao then build one that's works.
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #10
sam

Default camping weekend

Had a fun time camping with our Sams Club. Good friends 19 of us. Lots of laughter and good campfires. Temps. in the daytime about 66 and in the 40s at night. Furnice worked very well. Only have to repair the stiffiner in the heavy upholstered curtain at the bathroom wall. We had a very nice potluck and honored our veterans in our group. Next campout in June. DH is going to order the new hot water tank for the RV. Should take him about 2 1/2 hrs to install.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:27 PM   #11

cool sam. glad you had a good time!
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
The owners manual says not to drop the top onto the safety bar. It's not meant to hold that amount of weight on a continual basis.
Plus, when the top is resting on the safety bar for some reason, the seals around the lower part of the top are not fully touching the body on my old 17T.

Ted
Luisa48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa48 View Post
Plus, when the top is resting on the safety bar for some reason, the seals around the lower part of the top are not fully touching the body on my old 17T.

Ted
They wouldn't be, Ted. The safety bar position is lower than the "full up" position. The safety bar is just there to keep the top from crashing down on you in the event of a catastrophic failure of the lift system.

- Jack
Old 05-26-2017, 02:03 AM   #14

Can anyone tell me how to post pics to this forum? Thanks!
-Barb-
Mtnsagegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:59 AM   #15

Hello Barb,

First you put your pic up somewhere on the internet . . Google+, DropBox, etc.

Copy the location (URL) and then click on the image icon like so:

A dialog comes up for you to paste the URL into.

Ted
Luisa48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #16
Site Team

You can also go to the "Advanced Reply", drop down below the typing area to "Manage Attachments" in "Additional Options", click on that. This opens a "browse" dialog where you search for the picture you want to upload from your PC. Once you select it, click on "Upload" as I've done here.

I think you are limited to four pictures per post using this method, but it eliminates using an external picture repository.

- Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0355.jpg (109.0 KB, 0 views)