New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 05-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

This was taken from NDgent's post here on the forum. It is a great go-by list. You can do a search of thinking about buying and find his post to read it first hand.

Basically, start with the visual items
1. Exterior
Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
2. Interior cleanliness of the unit-
Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
3. Test appliance functions
lights
fans
refrigerator
air conditioner
heater
water pump
range hood
stovetop
oven (if equipped)
microwave (if equipped)
stereo (if equipped)
4. Lift System-
Does the unit raise and lower properly
Check the lift system for hydraulic leaks (puddle under the trailer)
Check the lift cables to see if they are in good shape and not frayed
Check the seal between the upper and lower body halves for tears or damage
5. fill the tanks to the top and check for leaks
6. Battery
7. Solar Panel (if equipped)

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Hi Les, and thanks for the lead. I actually called the one in Brentwood last night but it has already sold. Apparantly, RV Trader won't take down an ad until a certain amount of time has expired, even if the unit has sold!

I also seen one on Craigslist for $8,000 but it's a 2001 which is a little older than I was targeting. I'm thinking a newer one would be less troublesome but I'd like to hear from those that own older units to see what issues there may be such as water leaks, delamination, etc. Maybe an older one would be fine???

Sam, thanks for the tip about e-bay as I hadn't been looking there. You are correct about all the great info on this site! Where is the used checklist you refer to?

Thanks, Greg
In 2001, is when HiLo started using aluminum framing in the walls of the TowLites. So, we recommend a 2001 or newer model.

2006 22ft towlite (replaces 97 21TL)
2006 Toyota tacoma pre-runner 4.0 L V-6 quad cab
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #13

Les, thanks for the info regarding the framing. So those units that are 2000 and older use the "stick and tin" method, I gather. BTW, what is the difference between the "Classic" and "Towlight" models?

I have a forum housekeeping question and noticed you are a moderator. I think I've posted things in three different areas on the forums and am having trouble finding my posts. Is there a way to easily see where my posts are located? Also, when I click on the threads I've started, the original post pops up first so I have to scroll down to find the latest reply. Is there a way to put the newest post first?

Ruben, thank you for the list! I'm gonna print it out.

Greg
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Les, thanks for the info regarding the framing. So those units that are 2000 and older use the "stick and tin" method, I gather. BTW, what is the difference between the "Classic" and "Towlight" models?

I have a forum housekeeping question and noticed you are a moderator. I think I've posted things in three different areas on the forums and am having trouble finding my posts. Is there a way to easily see where my posts are located? Also, when I click on the threads I've started, the original post pops up first so I have to scroll down to find the latest reply. Is there a way to put the newest post first?

Ruben, thank you for the list! I'm gonna print it out.

Greg
Classics are wider and heavier. You can look through the brochures in the reference library.

If you click on your name, you can search for all the threads you've started or commented on.

As for newest post first, I think it's a lot easier to read down to see where the posts started....just my opinion.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #15

The newer ones have larger wheels. My 2001 had 13 inch wheels and newer trailers had 15 inch. I just Speant about 1500.00 putting spacers under my axles to raise the unit and then switch out to 14 inch wheels. But other than that, my 2001 was in excellent condition. Look to see if what you are considering has stabilizer jacks and an external storeage compartment or two. Oven or not? Those things were optional. Just stuff to consider when comparing prices from unit to unit. By the way, I consider a weight distribution hitch a "must" as well as a good brake controller. If buying from a private party see if the hitch is included. They can run 250.00 to 700.00 new----though you can find them on craigs list for much less.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #16

Thank all of you for all the help, opinions, and information you provide- this is a great forum!

The search continues . . .

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote