New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 08-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #1

Location: Chandler, AZ, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy for now anyway
Default Ready - Just need a Hi-Lo Trailer

Hello, Not sure what to call people who own Hi-Lo trailers..... Hi-Lolifes?

Small family here, one kidlet, Mrs. S4ordie and I are two older parents, and we have a Standard Schnauzer to keep us entertained. We are interested in camping as a family and have spent near endless months, it seems, researching all forms (TT, tent trailers, hybrids, A-frame pop-ups, etc.) and to us, the logical choice is a Hi-Lo trailer.

We looked at a few Trail Manor's and were not impressed with the quality. Tent trailers seem to have more set-up and tear-down effort/time than we want to invest for quick over-nighters to get away from city lights (which we can drive to in an hour or less). We also need more insulation than a tent trailer, or hybrid will provide. Additionally, we want to store the trailer in our second garage. It has a 9 ft height door which is too low for most travel trailers.

Our areas of interest are boondocking, lots of places in AZ for this, which will require some driving on forest service roads (dirt/gravel but with some washboard), so nothing extereme. We also enjoy camping in Mexico along the Sea of Cortez coastline. Good roads from here to there.

We are in the hunt for a 19-23Ft, less than ten years old, Hi-Lo. Perhaps an older one that has been fully refurbished, my favorite kind btw as people who have the skills to do this also rebuild their trailer to a higher level of construction and materials than the factory. These examples are rare as hens teeth it seems.

I have tried the search option, it's not good, to find info on people who have raised or improved the axle size and suspension on their Hi-Lo. Nothing I found of relevance.

So that is a little about us and our desires. We hope to have our own Hi-Lo soon and will be able to post our adventures in ownership and camping.

I signed up for this forum as it is clear only smart, competent and good looking people own Hi-Lo trailers. I'll be the first to buck that trend.

Dan

S4ordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Welcome to the forum. Here's a couple of links to look at. Good luck!

Hi-Lo For Sale - Hi-Lo RVs - RVTrader.com

Hi Lo RVs & Motorhomes for Sale | Used Motorhomes & RVs on Oodle Marketplace

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #3

Location: Chandler, AZ, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy for now anyway

Thanks for the links!
Old 08-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4ordie View Post
Hello, Not sure what to call people who own Hi-Lo trailers..... Hi-Lolifes?

Small family here, one kidlet, Mrs. S4ordie and I are two older parents, and we have a Standard Schnauzer to keep us entertained. We are interested in camping as a family and have spent near endless months, it seems, researching all forms (TT, tent trailers, hybrids, A-frame pop-ups, etc.) and to us, the logical choice is a Hi-Lo trailer.

We looked at a few Trail Manor's and were not impressed with the quality. Tent trailers seem to have more set-up and tear-down effort/time than we want to invest for quick over-nighters to get away from city lights (which we can drive to in an hour or less). We also need more insulation than a tent trailer, or hybrid will provide. Additionally, we want to store the trailer in our second garage. It has a 9 ft height door which is too low for most travel trailers.

Our areas of interest are boondocking, lots of places in AZ for this, which will require some driving on forest service roads (dirt/gravel but with some washboard), so nothing extereme. We also enjoy camping in Mexico along the Sea of Cortez coastline. Good roads from here to there.

We are in the hunt for a 19-23Ft, less than ten years old, Hi-Lo. Perhaps an older one that has been fully refurbished, my favorite kind btw as people who have the skills to do this also rebuild their trailer to a higher level of construction and materials than the factory. These examples are rare as hens teeth it seems.

I have tried the search option, it's not good, to find info on people who have raised or improved the axle size and suspension on their Hi-Lo. Nothing I found of relevance.

So that is a little about us and our desires. We hope to have our own Hi-Lo soon and will be able to post our adventures in ownership and camping.

I signed up for this forum as it is clear only smart, competent and good looking people own Hi-Lo trailers. I'll be the first to buck that trend.

Dan
Welcome to the forum!
Dillon's RV in Apache Junction, AZ was a former Hi- Lo Dealership and occasionally has Hi-Lo's available.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Dillon's RV in Apache Junction, AZ was a former Hi- Lo Dealership and occasionally has Hi-Lo's available.
Thanks for the welcome and the tip!

Dan
Old 08-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #6
sam

Default Welcome to the forum.

Interesting introduction you have given us. Good luck in your search for a HiLo.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #7

We are also, all,above average. Pay attention to the links- and keep checking here. Mid summer not many will be coming up for sale but fall or spring you will start to see them. Decide in your mind how much you are willing to spend and if you see something you like be prepared to drive to get it. Be patient. It can take awhile---but good deals are out there especially from good owners who have just decided to up-grade to something more truly RVish or larger. And welcome.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:08 AM   #8

I found our HiLo searching in Yakaz. Your observations about the advantages of the HiLo design match mine exactly!

Post up a picture of the doggie-dog.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #9

A couple more thoughts.

With the dog and kiddo- I'd stay on the larger end rather than the smaller end. They are not THAT big. Plus- I like the double axle you tend to get on a bigger one. We have a 21 for just the wife, myself, and our "bench lab". For hanging around inside- I don't think we would be as happy with something shorter.

I wouldn't focus so much on "re-conditioned" as much as "well maintained". And, also, include in your "budget" an extra 1,000.00 in reserve as I have never acquired anything used - boat, auto, house, trailer, dogs- that didn't need something done down the road. Sometimes later than sooner but usually not too much later. Good luck

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #10

Thanks for the tips everyone. Very helpful. One advantage we have is we are not in a great hurry. We will be patient and hopefully find a great well maintained, or fully refurbished unit.

hilltool, I appreciate your comments about the size. Besides the three of us and the dog (I'll post some pics of her later) we sometimes bring along one of our daughter's friends. Sounds like we'd be better off with a dual axle 23'/24' unit. I like the improved tracking and safety of a dual axle. Our garage is only 25' so have to be mindful of that.