Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 08-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #1

Location: Chandler, AZ, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy for now anyway
Default Ready - Just need a Hi-Lo Trailer

Hello, Not sure what to call people who own Hi-Lo trailers..... Hi-Lolifes?

Small family here, one kidlet, Mrs. S4ordie and I are two older parents, and we have a Standard Schnauzer to keep us entertained. We are interested in camping as a family and have spent near endless months, it seems, researching all forms (TT, tent trailers, hybrids, A-frame pop-ups, etc.) and to us, the logical choice is a Hi-Lo trailer.

We looked at a few Trail Manor's and were not impressed with the quality. Tent trailers seem to have more set-up and tear-down effort/time than we want to invest for quick over-nighters to get away from city lights (which we can drive to in an hour or less). We also need more insulation than a tent trailer, or hybrid will provide. Additionally, we want to store the trailer in our second garage. It has a 9 ft height door which is too low for most travel trailers.

Our areas of interest are boondocking, lots of places in AZ for this, which will require some driving on forest service roads (dirt/gravel but with some washboard), so nothing extereme. We also enjoy camping in Mexico along the Sea of Cortez coastline. Good roads from here to there.

We are in the hunt for a 19-23Ft, less than ten years old, Hi-Lo. Perhaps an older one that has been fully refurbished, my favorite kind btw as people who have the skills to do this also rebuild their trailer to a higher level of construction and materials than the factory. These examples are rare as hens teeth it seems.

I have tried the search option, it's not good, to find info on people who have raised or improved the axle size and suspension on their Hi-Lo. Nothing I found of relevance.

So that is a little about us and our desires. We hope to have our own Hi-Lo soon and will be able to post our adventures in ownership and camping.

I signed up for this forum as it is clear only smart, competent and good looking people own Hi-Lo trailers. I'll be the first to buck that trend.

Dan

S4ordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Welcome to the forum. Here's a couple of links to look at. Good luck!

Hi-Lo For Sale - Hi-Lo RVs - RVTrader.com

Hi Lo RVs & Motorhomes for Sale | Used Motorhomes & RVs on Oodle Marketplace

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #3

Location: Chandler, AZ, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy for now anyway

Thanks for the links!
Old 08-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4ordie View Post
Hello, Not sure what to call people who own Hi-Lo trailers..... Hi-Lolifes?

Small family here, one kidlet, Mrs. S4ordie and I are two older parents, and we have a Standard Schnauzer to keep us entertained. We are interested in camping as a family and have spent near endless months, it seems, researching all forms (TT, tent trailers, hybrids, A-frame pop-ups, etc.) and to us, the logical choice is a Hi-Lo trailer.

We looked at a few Trail Manor's and were not impressed with the quality. Tent trailers seem to have more set-up and tear-down effort/time than we want to invest for quick over-nighters to get away from city lights (which we can drive to in an hour or less). We also need more insulation than a tent trailer, or hybrid will provide. Additionally, we want to store the trailer in our second garage. It has a 9 ft height door which is too low for most travel trailers.

Our areas of interest are boondocking, lots of places in AZ for this, which will require some driving on forest service roads (dirt/gravel but with some washboard), so nothing extereme. We also enjoy camping in Mexico along the Sea of Cortez coastline. Good roads from here to there.

We are in the hunt for a 19-23Ft, less than ten years old, Hi-Lo. Perhaps an older one that has been fully refurbished, my favorite kind btw as people who have the skills to do this also rebuild their trailer to a higher level of construction and materials than the factory. These examples are rare as hens teeth it seems.

I have tried the search option, it's not good, to find info on people who have raised or improved the axle size and suspension on their Hi-Lo. Nothing I found of relevance.

So that is a little about us and our desires. We hope to have our own Hi-Lo soon and will be able to post our adventures in ownership and camping.

I signed up for this forum as it is clear only smart, competent and good looking people own Hi-Lo trailers. I'll be the first to buck that trend.

Dan
Welcome to the forum!
Dillon's RV in Apache Junction, AZ was a former Hi- Lo Dealership and occasionally has Hi-Lo's available.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Dillon's RV in Apache Junction, AZ was a former Hi- Lo Dealership and occasionally has Hi-Lo's available.
Thanks for the welcome and the tip!

Dan
Old 08-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #6
sam

Default Welcome to the forum.

Interesting introduction you have given us. Good luck in your search for a HiLo.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #7

We are also, all,above average. Pay attention to the links- and keep checking here. Mid summer not many will be coming up for sale but fall or spring you will start to see them. Decide in your mind how much you are willing to spend and if you see something you like be prepared to drive to get it. Be patient. It can take awhile---but good deals are out there especially from good owners who have just decided to up-grade to something more truly RVish or larger. And welcome.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:08 AM   #8

I found our HiLo searching in Yakaz. Your observations about the advantages of the HiLo design match mine exactly!

Post up a picture of the doggie-dog.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #9

A couple more thoughts.

With the dog and kiddo- I'd stay on the larger end rather than the smaller end. They are not THAT big. Plus- I like the double axle you tend to get on a bigger one. We have a 21 for just the wife, myself, and our "bench lab". For hanging around inside- I don't think we would be as happy with something shorter.

I wouldn't focus so much on "re-conditioned" as much as "well maintained". And, also, include in your "budget" an extra 1,000.00 in reserve as I have never acquired anything used - boat, auto, house, trailer, dogs- that didn't need something done down the road. Sometimes later than sooner but usually not too much later. Good luck

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #10

Thanks for the tips everyone. Very helpful. One advantage we have is we are not in a great hurry. We will be patient and hopefully find a great well maintained, or fully refurbished unit.

hilltool, I appreciate your comments about the size. Besides the three of us and the dog (I'll post some pics of her later) we sometimes bring along one of our daughter's friends. Sounds like we'd be better off with a dual axle 23'/24' unit. I like the improved tracking and safety of a dual axle. Our garage is only 25' so have to be mindful of that.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #11

Welcome to the forum Dan and family, it's a great bunch of people willing to share their knowledge and wisdom freely with a passion for Hi Lo trailers. We're older parents too, but the kids have their own lives and seldom travel with us. We do have one 12 pound Shih Tzu who thinks he rules the world and our 22 footer works perfect for us. Keep in mind Hi Lo measures frame length from hitch to bumper, so living cabin will be about 4 feet shorter. It's a little ways to travel, but Anderson RV in Topeka KS has a few trailers for sale.

Used TT

Don't worry about breaking tradition here, I've got a face made for radio
Happy camping, see you down the road

/Ken
underpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #12

Thanks for the nice welcome Ken. We aren't in a very big rush on getting our Hi-Lo. We will wait for a very good condition unit from an OCD owner, like I am with my vehicles and toys. Based upon some good advice I'd have to say we are now looking more towards 22-24ft.

Thanks for link to the dealer.

Glad to hear I am not dragging down the Hi_lo owner attractiveness average all by myself. My daughter describes me as a cross between Matthew McConaughey and Shrek She speaks the truth.

Looking forward to meeting some of the good folk here on this forum.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpsi View Post
Welcome to the forum Dan and family, it's a great bunch of people willing to share their knowledge and wisdom freely with a passion for Hi Lo trailers. We're older parents too, but the kids have their own lives and seldom travel with us. We do have one 12 pound Shih Tzu who thinks he rules the world and our 22 footer works perfect for us. Keep in mind Hi Lo measures frame length from hitch to bumper, so living cabin will be about 4 feet shorter. It's a little ways to travel, but Anderson RV in Topeka KS has a few trailers for sale.

Used TT

Don't worry about breaking tradition here, I've got a face made for radio
Happy camping, see you down the road

/Ken
Old 08-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #13

I have come across a pretty nice looking M2306 Classic. I have posted some questions with pics in the "Curious About Hi-Lo Trailers" forum.

I would very much appreciate some experienced eyes and opinions. Here is a link to that thread: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f15/...323/#post35636

Thank you for your help,

Dan
Old 08-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4ordie View Post
Sounds like we'd be better off with a dual axle 23'/24' unit. I like the improved tracking and safety of a dual axle. Our garage is only 25' so have to be mindful of that.
Welcome to the forum! If your intent is to park the Hi-Lo in the garage, be aware that the length may not be the limitation if you have a standard 7 ft. opening- height will be. Although the trailer's roof may be low enough, the rooftop AC unit will be higher. The traveling height listed in the Hi-Lo brochures does not include the 11 or so inches of the AC unit, so be sure to measure your garage and the trailer carefully before purchasing. I believe the Classic models are a bit lower than the Towlites, but there is less ground clearance.
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Welcome to the forum! If your intent is to park the Hi-Lo in the garage, be aware that the length may not be the limitation if you have a standard 7 ft. opening- height will be. Although the trailer's roof may be low enough, the rooftop AC unit will be higher. The traveling height listed in the Hi-Lo brochures does not include the 11 or so inches of the AC unit, so be sure to measure your garage and the trailer carefully before purchasing. I believe the Classic models are a bit lower than the Towlites, but there is less ground clearance.
Thanks for the information Greg. The garage has a 9ft high opening so we are good there. I think it is interesting the Classics ride lower than the TowLites. Is do simply to increased weight, or was it designed to be lower?
Old 03-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #16

Smile funchaser

I am a new member also. I have a 1996 Hi-Lo Fun Chaser 24D for sale. Original owner, good and clean condition. Always been garaged. Located in Lake Havasu Ciity, AZ. If you are still looking, get back to me for complete details.
funchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #17

Hi Funchaser i'm Mike. I used to work at Sterilite in Massillon,Ohio. I heard that is a wild town lol. heard its nice as heck out there. Sterilite has a plant out there as you prolly know the guys from that plant visited us in Ohio way back when in the 90's. nice to meet you. I really have always wanted to come to Arizona. maybe I will when I get my camper done.
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:08 AM   #18

We had previous Hi-Lo years ago. We recently bought a new truck and made the decision to start looking for a decent used RV. Searchingly​ was an eye opening experience. Newer lightweights just seem so cheaply constructed. Better quality trailers require serious tow vehicles. Looked at a couple used Hi-Lo trailers and we were instantly reminded about what we loved about our previous Hi-Lo. That put our search emphasis more towards Hi-Lo. Searched all the online listings and looked at several. Had one we were leaning towards but we're fully committed so the search continues. After a day of yard work 2 weeks ago, I showered and was relaxing with a glass of iced tea and the dogs outside on the deck I decided to look and see if any new listings (all makes) were on our local Craigslist. 12 listings down, listed just 2 hours previously, was a mint Hi-Lo 22' in the neighboring town. Older (1999) than what we had been searching for but it was original owner, all documentation and paperwork, and been kept in covered storage the majority of its life. Called to look at it, and it was love at first sight. Everything in 100% working order and flawlessly maintained with all supporting documentation and receipts. Patience paid off. We are absolutely loving our "new" Hi-Lo. Keep searching, you just might find exactly what your looking for. Also check Craigslist. This private owner unit excelled every other dealer unit we had looked at, though there were a couple decent looking dealer units. The one dealer unit we were leaning towards was a consignment sale. Craigslist listings are constantly changing so check often. Good luck!
BTW, our search criteria was almost identical to yours. We wanted a unit we could store in our existing covered storage area. The 22' was perfect. We want to keep this trailer as well maintained as it was previously.

Harmony Lodge is offline   Reply With Quote