Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 03-24-2018, 06:32 AM   #1

Default Recently purchased 2182 Hi-Lo

We recently purchased a second-hand Hi-Lo. I’m not new to campers but I am new to this particular brand. I inspected it as I would have any other camper, was satisfied that it had potential and purchased it from a private individual.

There is extensive water damage to the walls and ceiling, some spots in floor. Otherwise, it is solid. All of the appliances, except heater, work. Those alone were worth the price we paid for it! The Shell seems fine, with some much needed maintenance, such as caulking and maybe, water seal on roof. It’s functional as it sits.

Eventually, we would like to begin making repairs. I need some idea of what we will get into, as we have to replace “sill plates” on both ends underneath fiberglass end caps. Any suggestions for accomplishing this? Where would I go online for cupboards, tub, etc?

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you! Can’t wait to find a site!!

Siteseeker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:39 PM   #2
sam

Default Welcome to the forum

Post pictures of your problem areas. Many of us have had to do extensive rebuilds for water damage. One area that causes water damage is the windows. When you do your repairs you will need to take out all windows and reseal with butyl tape and Lexel caulk.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #3

These are the best I can do at the moment. The one of the hole surrounded by white is beneath the front fiberglass end cap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6AA84B1B-9AF4-485F-8AD6-524989F512B4.jpg (253.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 1B51BCAC-97C4-486B-B6F4-07A25FC882D0.jpg (152.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Definite window re-seal is over due! Sorry, but the window must come out, I'm sure you know this. Don't fret about broken screws, once the window is out, you can use a needle nose vise grip to remove them. You'll figure it out. Clean both the window and the Hi Lo surface with mineral spirits---AFTER YOU CLEAN WITH MINERAL SPIRITS you MUST re-clean with rubbing alcohol or windex---neither butyl tape NOR Lexel sealant will stick if you don't.
With damage like that, I'm sure you'll need new screws. Stainless steel is the best but NOT from the big box stores. Purchase good quality screws from a fastener store.
Under the "search" heading at the top, type in re-sealing the windows or something like that, several good plans are available. Not many things on Hi Los has missed being repaired/replaced by someone on the forum. Just take your time and take pics at each step. The next window will go faster and faster.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:34 PM   #5
sam

Default Repairs

Tree climber has given you some good advice. U-tube has a tutorial on how to remove your windows and reseal/replace. The first window is scary and then it gets easier. As mentioned many of us have done any repairs that need to be done. Our forum members are fantastic with answering questions. You will need to rip your wall all the way back to the fiberglass and replace wall layers. Then you can replace windows. Not sure what the second picture shows.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #6

Second picture was the best I could get of a metal plate beneath the front fiberglass end cap. There used to be wood there! It’s no more!

Also, Door now closes easily and correctly. We replaced the rotten wooden frame within the door and the door hinges.

Still working on exterior lights. Any idea why no running or reverse lights? Flat four to round seven plugs. Lights work on flat to flat on work trailer, so we know truck plug is working. Trailer plug is brand new.

We were given the paneling!! Camper is dry but have water damage. All seams are caulked. Waiting for warmer weather to seal. Can we put new paneling over old?
Old 03-28-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
Site Team

I'd guess a broken wire or faulty connection in the trailer, possibly in the ground line. Start at the trailer plug one the trailer, check for voltage along that circuit with it plugged in to the trailer and the parking lights on. Move along that circuit until you find the break.

Alternatively, you might try connecting a meter to a good ground and then probing each of the positive terminals in the light circuits with the other meter test probe. If you get voltage at any light, it's probably an indication of a faulty ground in the trailer.

- Jack
Old 03-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #8
sam

Default Repairs

I would not put new paneling over old. You don't want to increase your weight. Pull off the old paneling and see further damage or work needed. Your top halm won't slide down in travel position if you make the wall thicker than what it is now.