Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hi-Lo's for sale Selling a Hi-Lo or links to Hil-Lo's for sale

Old 04-15-2017, 09:45 PM   #1

Unhappy 1972 Traveler (needs love)

Hi, I know I'm a new member here, but I've got a 1972 HiLo Traveler for sale. My wife and I bought this last year and had a wonderful summer in it.

However, I just uncovered it to get it ready for another season to find that the roof leaked over the winter. Initially I thought this might just be a quick repair, but it seems like a larger job than we can take on right now. During my investigation I removed all of the ceiling in the camper. So it is currently in need of a new ceiling. Also, the metal frame has a good bit of rust. So that would need to be addressed as well too. The convertible couch/bed along the wall had been removed as well as I was planning to build a new bed unit for my wife (we're expecting our first, and I was hoping to build her a better sleeping situation so she could be more comfortable).

Frankly, we are heart broken. We fell in love with this quirky camper the moment we laid our eyes on it. Not going to lie, we've been dreaming of all the wonderful memories in it with our the guy/gal we have on the way. Unfortunately, with work and with my wife unable to help all that much I just can't take on this renovation. Not to mention, we already have campsites booked and need to focus on finding another camper.

I have no idea what price to even put on it. We know we're going to take a hit on this. We just hope we can get it into the hands of someone who might be able to bring it back to it's former glory.

Camper is located in Denver, CO. Happy to share any and all photos/info. Let me know! Thanks!

Some pics from last summer:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1whiuhppz...35arxyJ0ce-1fa

nmalozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:52 PM   #2

Some pics from last summer:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1whiuhppz...35arxyJ0ce-1fa

Old 04-16-2017, 06:02 PM   #3

A friend and I spent the morning pulling off the roof molding. It was my hope that while doing this I'd realize that I shouldn't sell the camper. However, after completing that and spending many hours sitting in the camper with my buddy and talking ideas/approaches/etc it still seems like the right choice to sell. I just don't have the time to do this job right. It's all doable, but I just don't have the free time to take on something of this magnitude.

So with that realization, I shot a bunch of photos of the camper in its current state. They can be seen here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/0m4ogugez...aJ7rdJlsOH5vJa
Old 04-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #4

wow all except for the long rear back window, box is same as my 1964. its gorgeous. I fell in love with it too lol
what kinda price are you thinking of ? pm me looks like the voyager model above mine mine's an 800. how long is yers again? I know its longer than mine, is cause of the rear side long window. I don't have that. cant ya post some pics of inside? or pm me pics of inside? if need be.
you should be able to get a good buck for that! it's absolutely gorgeous, I don't think you will take no hit on that camper. its very nice. oh yeah nice to meet you!

thanks mikel

this is mine in the add originally same camper I found free. this is a nice link for everyone also.
http://www.popupcamperhistory.com/hiloimages.html
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #5

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I posted another link to some photos, but I believe since I'm a new member all my posts are blocked until a moderator reviews them. So that post just appeared now. At any rate, here is a link to a lot more photos that I just took yesterday:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/0m4ogugez...aJ7rdJlsOH5vJa

Best I can tell she's a 17" Traveler model. I'm basing that off of this sales catalog I found online:

http://www.hilotrailer.com/pdfs/1972.pdf

She really is an awesome camper. We love her, but I just don't have the time to fix the metal frame. It breaks our hearts, but hopefully we can find someone with the time and willingness to fix her!
Old 04-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #6

what are you looking to get for it? if you don't mind me asking I may be interested. I doubt it tho prolly to rich for my blood I would love to fix er up. it is really a gorgeous camper. it really don't look like all that much needs done. I mean based on what I been doing lol. I created my own work on mine. lol shoot me a price. it's funny everyone keeps talking about the metal roof frame. mine is 2x2's wood is original ceiling studs, sitting on a 2x2 ledge, then is the 1x4 headers, and 2x2's down the walls.
thanks mike
Old 04-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #7

Well, actually. I think I'm going to retract it from sale. We love this quirky thing, and I think I've found a way to get it into my father-in-laws garage so we can restore it. Thanks for the interest! I'm sure you'll be hearing from me more with idiotic questions
Old 04-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #8

always told, no such thing as an idiotic question. the question that isn't asked is idiotic. unless it is truly idiotic. LOL
oh dude, I am so glad you made that decision! :0 you want to keep that baby in the family! I wish it was mine! good luck if you need anything let me know! ok? not real good on advice, or carpentry lol, to perfection , but I can do and accomplish many things. I have some parts many led and halogen 12vdc lights and sockets, I will mail to you for free up to a point. just tell ya upfront what I need back shipping wise. I got the stuff dirt cheap or free. not just lights I have either I have lots of stuff. I buy and sell.
whatever you are looking for.if you need something. just let me know what ya need. I can find it. I will get it. or I may have it lol
know much about nothing. lol if I can help just tell me. I am a jack of all trades, and a master of none. believe me once you start on it, and she starts looking good, you will be proud of yerself, and just keep doing things to it. it's gonna be awesome! lol mike
Old 04-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #9

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm a jack of all trades/master of none too. Know just enough to be dangerous, haha. I think I can get this thing ready to camp though!
Old 04-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #10

yeah master of disaster, that's me!
that's funny I know enuff to be dangerous too. you will be camping in no time, with the little one. congrats on that also. just got my new 50 watt renogy solar panel just now, to add to my 20 watter. all I can afford now but 70 watts now it'll work for a few things., good luck!
Old 04-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #11

Awesome, I've been impressed with what Renogy has. I'd like to buy one of their kits for ours. In fact, it was part of my plan to install one this spring. Then I found the water damage. So that'll likely eat up this years budget. I'm going to cut out the rusted cross members and replace them. Then a new roof and ceiling. The interior will likely get a fresh coat of paint and I'll build a better bed. That's about all we have time and money for before we need to get out and actually use it!
Old 04-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #12

those kits they renogy have are awesome starter kits for amateurs like me, and for the pros, they got the better stuff.. when I bought the other set from harbor freight, a lot of people consider their stuff junk and some of it is but I was going thru the cancer treatments and all. that was cheap and easy to afford. it helped me learn a lot. it also worked very well too. you can always wait on the solar, just get her camping 1st. chances are it will all be cheaper next yr anyways when ya really need it. for heatin them baby bottles? no? LOL
Old 04-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #13

hey thst you? wake up!!!! dawg!!!
Old 04-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #14

Haha, what?

Yea, I'll be needing to heat up bottles next season more than likely. Who knows, I certainly don't know how long bottles are a thing. Guess I should read up on that too!
Old 04-18-2017, 05:01 PM   #15

been 24 yrs for me I don't have a clue! 2 girls ages 24, and 21! boy, are you in for some good and bad times. lol how far along is the wife? when is she due? I am so glad you chose to keep that camper! it is friggen awesome!
Old 04-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #16

Well, I just ordered a new rubber roof, vent+fan, led lights. Going to buy the square tubing today to replace the rusted ones. No turning back now.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #17
sam

Default trailer repairs

We are here to cheer you on as you do your repairs. Just take your time and you will get the repairs done. The older trailers are sturdy and worth fixing. Will your friend be helping you?
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
We are here to cheer you on as you do your repairs. Just take your time and you will get the repairs done. The older trailers are sturdy and worth fixing. Will your friend be helping you?
Yes, I'll have help for all the bigger tasks. FYI: I just created a new thread in the "Introductions" section so I don't clutter up the For Sale area.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmalozzi View Post
Yes, I'll have help for all the bigger tasks. FYI: I just created a new thread in the "Introductions" section so I don't clutter up the For Sale area.
Thank you for starting a new thread. It is so easy to wander off the track in some of the threads that we have here. Keeping on track helps us all. For those that want to chitchat there is an area for that as well.

Good luck with that rebuild project. I don't think I could ever do that.

RichR
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #20

nmalozzi
I bought a 1985 Funchaser in 2011.
It was rough and had some minor issues.
It has been to Florida 2 times and a grand tour of the western US another year. (I live in Reno, Nv) Those were all 3 month excursions.
I have gotten my money out of it.
I did rebuild the refridge/freezer and works as good as new. That cost $400.
It is quite a scene to have it parked next to the new monstrosities in campgrounds. Their pop-outs are larger than my entire trlr.

A suggestion...don't put too much money into the repairs that you will never recoup.
If I wadded mine into a ball, it would be of no great money loss. And I have gotten 25k miles + of fun for the money.
Remember it is over 40 years old and trlrs normally don't appreciate regardless of what you repair.

Get it functional and GO CAMPING! Have fun.

steve

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote