Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hi-Lo's for sale Selling a Hi-Lo or links to Hil-Lo's for sale
Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #1

Default 2005 HiLo 27ft. Towlight for sale - Has Been Sold

We have a 2005 HiLo Towlight 2705T Trailer for sale. In Very good condition, always stored inside in winters and partially in summer. Queen bed in rear. Tip out couch. Located near Van Wert,Ohio Asking $8500 Phone 419-238-2456 email markkathyw@gmail.com
[ATTACH]8117[/ATTACH
/ATTACH]

20200607_132626.jpg

20200608_213332.jpg

20200607_122215.jpg

20200607_122255.jpg

20200607_122405.jpg

20200607_122455.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200607_122144.jpg (471.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20200607_122122.jpg (355.3 KB, 14 views)

Old 09-25-2020, 03:05 AM   #2

Still for sale price negotiable.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #3

What is the Hitch Weight as you measured it?
What is the vehicle weight as you measured it?
This vehicle is on the margin for my tow vehicle so the numbers as weighed matter more then the numbers on the spec sheet.
The numbers should help everyone considering it.
Walk in His Peace,
Scribe With A Stylus
Old 09-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #4

The tongue weight is 760 lbs, the dry unloaded weight is 4379 lbs. Thank You!
Old 09-26-2020, 04:50 PM   #5

Thank you very much. That is just above the weight that the Sorinter 3500 Crew Van that I will be ordering can deal with. It’s hitch weight capacity is only 750 pounds because it is attached to the sheet metal of the unibody. If Mercedes ever gets their ordering software in order. I will order it. Right now the options I want are available at the factory but they told my salesman that they had no way to take a order for the options. Mercedes has a glitch in their software that allows the order for the models below and above the one I need but not for my model.
I will email J&R and ask them about ways to lower the hitch weight. If your trailer is still for sale after I get my sprinter I will recontactyou. Otherwise, I will have to wait.
Thank you again as you have given us hope that we can get a 27 foot HILO someday.

Walk in His Peace, (and 6 feet away : - )
Scribe With A Stylus

Ps The 3500 can tow 7500 pounds so the tongue weight is the only issue besides an inspection.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #6
Site Team

What are the axle load limits on the Sprinter Crew Van? That's where your real limitation is, not on some hitch attached to the sheet metal or the towing weight limit.

Any tow vehicle you purchase to tow a trailer of that size should have a frame mounted Class III towing hitch RECEIVER installed as a minimum. This will give you an allowable tongue weight of 1,200# and a Gross Towing Weight limit of 12,000#, provided you install a Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH) into it. Notice the real limit here is in the tongue weight. You will HAVE to have a hitch system that can accept the 760# tongue weight of that trailer, which is most likely higher than 800#, or can be depending on loading. If you did NOT install a WDH, even a Class III hitch would limit you to 800# tongue weight.

- Jack
Old 09-26-2020, 06:49 PM   #7

> JackandJanet;
>What are the axle load limits on the Sprinter Crew Van? That's where your real >limitation is, not on some hitch attached to the sheet metal or the towing >weight limit.

>Any tow vehicle you purchase to tow a trailer of that size should have a >frame mounted Class III towing hitch RECEIVER installed as a minimum.

We will be ordering the manufacturer’s towing hitch and communications cables per recommendations by others, on the Sprinter and Class B forums, who have towed 5,000 pound trailers with Sprinters. They say that the Sprinters’ computers are towing aware with the manufacturer’s towing package. The 2500 Sprinters have 5,000 pound towing capacities and 500 pound hitch weights. The 3500 Sprinters have 7,500 pound tow weight capacities and 750 pound hitch weights. The capacities were defined by Mercedes and several long discussions on various Sprinter forums that have reinforced the importance of conforming to these restrictions. The Sprinters are of unibody design. The engineers on the Sprinter forums have noted that the sheet metal on the 3500s is thicker in the key areas taking the stress of the towing.

>This will give you an allowable tongue weight of 1,200# and a Gross Towing >Weight limit of 12,000#, provided you install a Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH) >into it.

Mercedes says that Weight Distributing Hitches will distort the sheet metal in their Sprinters’ unibody design and are prohibited. This means that I have to conform to the manufacturers towing recommendations and cannot use higher capacities by 3rd party vendors.

>Notice the real limit here is in the tongue weight. You will HAVE to have a hitch >system that can accept the 760# tongue weight of that trailer, which is most >likely higher than 800#, or can be depending on loading. If you did NOT install a >WDH, even a Class III hitch would limit you to 800# tongue weight.

People who have installed 3rd party hitches with higher capacities then 750 pounds have been told by various more experienced tow people, on the various Sprinter Forums, that they should stick to Mercedes recommendations. If I cannot adjust the tongue weight of the HiLo down then I will have to switch to a smaller HiLo. The Sprinter is a Super Van more then a classical truck in terms of its towing characteristics.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We will keep them in mind if we should order a Ford or Chevrolet diesel truck for towing.

Walk in His Peace ( and 6 feet away : - )
Scribe With A Stylus
Old 09-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #8

Thank You for considering our trailer. Let us know what you find out. I agree with the previous comments that the tow vehicle should have a frame mounted hitch. Stay safe and God Bless you and yours. Living in his Peace, Mark
Old 09-26-2020, 11:07 PM   #9
Site Team

Just a comment then, about NOT using a WDH. Virtually ALL the tongue weight of any trailer you tow will be borne by the rear axle of the tow vehicle and that weight can easily overload it, as well as lifting your steering axle in front off the ground, which makes control dangerous. Additionally, since your trailer is borne only by the rear axle, it will nose dive during braking, lifting your tow vehicle's front end even more, and making the front brakes largely ineffective.

Finally, reducing the tongue weight on any trailer below the recommended 10-15% range (12% is ideal), increases the tendency of the trailer to sway while under tow, and this can cause both your trailer and tow vehicle to overturn or you to lose control in some other deadly way.

- Jack
Old 12-03-2020, 07:27 PM   #10

Trailer is SOLD!

Closed Thread