Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Trading Post > Hi-Lo's wanted
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hi-Lo's wanted Looking for a Hi-Lo? Tell us what you want.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #1

Default Looking for cheap hi lo to tow race car

I am looking for a hi low to tow a formula car to the races. Sadly, I will probably remove everything in the interior to make the car fit. So the ideal trailer would be one that tows well and goes up and down but every appliance is broken or has been removed. Obviously I will have to modify the rear to open up to roll the car in. Strange request but worth a shot. I live in Delaware.
Thanks
Dan

DelawareDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Dan, I may be wrong, but I don't think any HiLo would work for you. A race car would probably exceed the GVWR of a HiLo, or it would surely exceed the GAWR rating.

I think you need a "toy hauler" type of trailer for your race car.

- Jack

Old 01-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #3

Thanks Jack. The car weighs less than 1000 pounds. Car, spares, tires and tools would weigh less than 2000 pounds. Keep in mind that I will be removing whatever interior that I need to to make the car fit. Beds,bathroom, tanks, plumbing, stove tables. Could what is removed come close to between 1000 and 2000 pounds? I would appreciate others' input. Especially anyone who has done this or at least has seen an example of it.
Thanks Again,
Dan
Old 01-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelawareDan View Post
Thanks Jack. The car weighs less than 1000 pounds. Car, spares, tires and tools would weigh less than 2000 pounds. Keep in mind that I will be removing whatever interior that I need to to make the car fit. Beds,bathroom, tanks, plumbing, stove tables. Could what is removed come close to between 1000 and 2000 pounds? I would appreciate others' input. Especially anyone who has done this or at least has seen an example of it.
Thanks Again,
Dan
Looking at specs for our trailers, I doubt you could remove interior things that would total 1000#. And, the gutting result would be VERY ugly. Additionally, I suspect you'd have to reinforce the flooring to handle the weight of the car which would add weight, and, you'd need to install tiedowns to keep the car from shifting.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #5

Dan,
What is the height of the race car? I'm not sure if you would have room for it with the Hi-Lo in the down position.
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #6

I agree with jack. My 21 ft dual axles has a gvwr of 4500lbs. With empty tanks and minimal gear I am usually close to 4000 lbs. No way do I think there is 1500lbs of removeable stuff. Interesting idea but I suspect a lightweight small enclosed aluminum trailer would be almost as aerodynamic and likely just as cheap by the the time you bought the original, renovated it, and upgraded tires and wheel bearings etc. rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #7

I am in the seattle area and have the trailer. the bottom half is in very good shape. the upper half has some damage due to some water from little leaks. Intact but cosmetically needs new panels on the ceiling or a good painting.

Interested ?
mjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #8

forgot to mention, it is 3000 lbs, dual axle 1982 2182L Fun Chaser model
Old 05-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #9

If you would like to see photos let me know, that is if you are interested.
found this link for the specs -
1982 Hi Lo Fun Chaser 2182L Prices and Used Values | NADAguides
Old 05-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #10

I have a 2182L Fun Chaser that would be a great use since the upper half has some cosmetic work that needs to be done. would make a great utility trailer anyhow. I would let it go cheap since there is some water damages to the ceiling. I am new to this site, just joined yesterday so hope I'm doing all this right.. I wrote a few comments but they are not visible to me.. maybe they are still there, so sorry about the extra posts here.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:11 PM   #11

40 inches clears the roll bar hoop
Old 05-31-2016, 08:14 PM   #12

you may have the right trailer in the wrong place. Seattle is about as far from Delaware as you can get. You can send pictures and more info to: danielf107@mchsi.com.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #13

I think this is a great idea. You don't need the 8' high ceilings of a toy hauler for a little, lightweight race car. Save gas towing to the track with a Hi-lo then open it up, take the car out, and you also have a pit garage. There is probably 1000 pounds of cargo ability in the average 21' Hi-lo, with cabinets, appliances, toilet, tanks, bed, dinette, etc all removed I bet there would be another 1000 pounds. You could also upgrade axles and tires and have more capability. That is what I'm thinking of doing with mine. Beefing up the whole frame, adding a 10' open toyhauler deck, and new relocated 3500 pound axles. Enough for a pair of 4 wheelers.

Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote