Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Trading Post > Hi-Lo's wanted
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hi-Lo's wanted Looking for a Hi-Lo? Tell us what you want.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #1

Default Newbie here, don't own one yet. Which Manuf. is best?

Looking to buy but don't know names of other maker's & models of the "Hi-lo" type. Need input, please. Since I've never RV'ed (if you don't count 20 years in the USMC & Army) I'd like to start off in a fugal manner. $5k to 8K used. I reside in Lower Alabama but would drive as far as necessary to purchase.

Chaplain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi, King - Welcome to the forum. I'm retired Air Force, so I consider you a Brother. I moved your post to the HiLos Wanted section because that's what you're interested in.

First, HiLo trailers are made by only ONE manufacturer, who is now out of business (I'm discounting the one who tried to revive it but doesn't seem to be still trying to do so). So, to get a HiLo, you are basically looking at the "used" market.

As far as models go, have a look at the various HiLo brochures here: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f52/ You'll see there are quite a few models. The smaller ones (15-19 ft) can be towed by a 1/2 ton pickup. Larger ones would be better towed with a 3/4 ton pickup. What kind of tow vehicle do you have?

- Jack

Old 04-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #3

Hello J&J, thanks for moving my query and the feedback. I came to believe, Hi-Lo, TowLite, and the 1964 voyager I saw on this site were from different manufactures. So are there other similar makers out there. I'm wondering why I see so many folks commenting on re-sealing the roof.

My vehicle is a 2015 KIA Kia Sedona minivan to tow 5,000 pounds. So the 17s & the 18s will do unless I desire to buy a truck as well. Not looking forward to that because of the HOA restrictions.

Once I find the right small one, I'm ready to rock on it. I'm tired of going to the same old cruise ports although the food and entertainment is a plus in that world.

When people thank me for my service -- I smile and sincerely reply "It's a privilege." That way I don't have to stop and think is my hat the Red Cross, USMC, US Army or North American Mission Board Chaplain.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
sam

Default chaplain king

Welcome to the forum. Classics are the heavier models of the HiLo. Towlites are the lighter versions. All trailers after a while need to have a coating applied to the roof. This is much cheaper than the cost of a new roof and any water damage repair. Kind of like wax on a floor or sealer. The only parts that are specific to a HiLo are the seal between the layers and the hydrolic lifting system. All the other parts are common to rvs and can be purchased most places on the internet. Check out the videos about operation on the HiLo. Also in the forum is a buyers check list. Best of luck in finding the right RV for you.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:51 PM   #5
Site Team

And, King, check out the axle loading limits on your Kia! It's on a sticker inside the driver's door.) All the tongue weight of any trailer you get will be borne by those axles. You'll also need a Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH) so that the weight will be evenly borne by both axles. The WDH will weigh about 60-70# and that will have to be included in your calculations.

You'll find you hit the axle limits (GAWR) BEFORE you hit the trailer weight or Combined Gross Weight (CGW) limits. CGW is an engine and transmission consideration. GAWR relates to your axles, wheels and tires.

Yes, you MUST stay with the smaller HiLos!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #6

Sam, thanks for the good info!
Old 04-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain King View Post
Looking to buy but don't know names of other maker's & models of the "Hi-lo" type. Need input, please. Since I've never RV'ed (if you don't count 20 years in the USMC & Army) I'd like to start off in a fugal manner. $5k to 8K used. I reside in Lower Alabama but would drive as far as necessary to purchase.
The only other ones I have found is Trailmanor and I have searched the entire market. Advantage is that they are new, not 10 years old. They have very nice designs and many do fit in a normal garage. Made in South Dakota. Look at YouTube for more info, search for the Trailmanor name.

Disadvantage is that they take about 10 minutes to set up. Not a long time but more than the Hi-lo.

Advantage is that they have more floor space inside, you do not feel as cooped up as the HILO. Other disadvantage is that you have to mount two cabinets in the wall so if you are in your 80’s, this may be an issue, I really liked them.

Take a good look!

Larry
Lgullyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:31 PM   #8

Default Thanks! I look them up.

Many Thanks!
Old 04-30-2020, 10:59 PM   #9
Site Team

The other "con" I've heard about Trailmanors, is, you have to be very careful setting them up, or they leak in rainstorms. If you look at the design, you can see why this is so.

And yes, you have to "assemble" the inside cabinets each time you set up. Don't know where you store the stuff that goes in them when traveling? *shrug*

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #10

Trailmanors are not in the same category in that all of them are single axle.

Be safe and pull a tandem axle in case of a blow out. With a Hi-Lo you will trailer easier and in 10 seconds the top is up when you pull into a rest area for a break or at your final destination.

For the HOA sake get a Suburban basically a 1500 Chevy Truck which can also be a 4 wheel drive.
This forum is the best and all your questions are expertly answered by its members which selflessly share their knowledge and expertise.
Stay safe.
frekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #11

Thanks for the info
Old 05-01-2020, 06:17 PM   #12
sam

Default I vote no for Trail manors.

A member of our HiLo club traded in their Trail Manor because it leaked. Our HiLo dealer refuses to take a TrailManor in on trade due to difficulty of set up. At your age I would think you would be better off with a used HiLo. Trail manors aren't cheap. Something like thirty thousand dollars brand new.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:32 PM   #13

Hey Chaplain, checkout Craigslist for HiLos. You can search countrywide if you use SearchTempest.com.

Thats how we found ours, and it was 1000 miles away (we wanted a fun road trip anyway... )
RatsNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:25 AM   #14

Check RVTrader.com for Hi-Lo. My DW's cousin has a Trailermanor and he says that there is always something bending or breaking in the setup mechanism and he curses it.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote