Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Other stuff for sale Parts and accessories

Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #1

Default Reese Weight Distro Hitch

I have a reese Weight Distrobution Hitch with 2" ball forsale. pix are of actual item. $200. I can ship at buyers dime but I don't think it will be cheap. Hitch is located in Clarksville, TN 37042
Email fsjrzdvl@yahoo.com or frederick.l.stilling@us.army.mil for interest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 120711_003.jpg (90.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 120711_004.jpg (90.3 KB, 67 views)

freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #2

Still available $175

freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #3

Will it work on a 1996 28' James
Steelwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheel View Post
Will it work on a 1996 28' James
What's your tongue weight? That Reese is limited to 800#. And, is your ball receiver 2"? If not, you'd have to change the ball to match your tongue.

- Jack
Old 09-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #5

Thumbs down Sway Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
What's your tongue weight? That Reese is limited to 800#. And, is your ball receiver 2"? If not, you'd have to change the ball to match your tongue.

- Jack
I was told I needed a 2 5/16" hitch ball. It is rated at #600 and 6000 lbs. james
Steelwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheel View Post
I was told I needed a 2 5/16" hitch ball. It is rated at #600 and 6000 lbs. james
OK, James. You WOULD need to replace the hitch ball, which should not be a big deal. You need to set the torque on the nut properly and it is rather high, so you would possibly need to take it somewhere to have that done properly. The cost should be minimal.

If your trailer is really 6000#, then the tongue weight should be between 10-15% of that weight, or 600-900#. Ideally, it should be around 12%, so the 800# hitch limit would be just enough. Interestingly, with a weight distributing hitch, you want the actual hitch weight to be VERY close to the limit, but not to exceed it. I suspect this provides the appropriate "springiness" to the connection. Having a higher rated hitch would make it too "stiff".

Those are my thoughts - anyone with different ideas can contribute.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #7
Site Team

Steel, don't know if you noticed, but that DWH system for sale was back in 2012. Amazon sells a complete WDH, including a 2-5/16' ball for around $200 + or -. Brand new. Check it out to see if it fits your needs. I joined amazon prime ($99 a year) about 3 yrs ago. Most things I order are delivered in two business days -free. We love it and it has just about anything needed for RVs, from complete tank monitoring systems to full time rear view cameras. When I'm about to do most any repairs to Hi Los, I try and get materials from amazon. I have NO affiliation with amazon except as a customer, I don't even own stock in the company (shame @ over $800 a share). For RVs and homes, that's where I go. my two cents.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
Site Team

That's good advice Tree! I have to admit I didn't notice the date of this thread. I was thinking though, it would be a good idea to check for a new WDH instead of going with a used one.

I like Amazon too, and order most of my stuff from them. (No affiliation with them either).

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote