Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 03-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #21
TJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
IMO the Timprens are not the what you should be doing. You need the WD hitch to transfer weight to the the truck and the trailer so they will sit level and keep the weight on the front wheels for proper steering. It is safer.
I second that. I go NOWHERE without my WD totally hooked up. Even when I put my Hi-Lo in the storage yard, which is only 10 miles from my home.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #22

Fireball,

Thanks for the update, and it sounds like your first outing with the new Hi-Lo was a BIG success! I'm assuming you went the desert, or through it, has the big spring bloom hit?

However, I really think you should reevaluate the WD hitch (lack of). That "sagging" you experienced will be eliminated by using a WD hitch. Your steering will be firm again, headlights will be back to level, and you'll be amazed at how smooth a ride you'll have. More important, you'll be normalizing the braking balance between your front and rear truck tires. I admit that I've no experience with timbren rubber springs, but I do know that WD hitches increase towing safety in a number of well proven ways.

Take care,
Jim

2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #23

Jim: The plants are out but the spring bloom won't really hit for another month. Yes, it was the Imperial sand dunes I was riding through. In another month, it will be absolutely carpeted in flowers and will be even more beautiful.

On the WD. I know what they do and how they work and they are a great addition. I at no time felt like I needed them though. Perhaps with a lighter truck or a heavier trailer or in higher winds, then I might need to get them out (The bars are kept inside the trailer). Many folks don't know that you are supposed to unhook the spring bars when you are going over sharp transitions (Such as drive ways to gas stations) as it puts alot of stress on the hitch. I have seen hitches cracked because of not doing this. I'd rather not have to hook up and unhook several times a trip due to this.

Again. I can't speak for anyone else but with my tow vehicle and trailer, the WD system isn't absolutely necessary for me to have an easy tow.
Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #24

i towed my "new" hi lo home from Lancaster with just my ball and it did fine.
the only time it felt like it was back there was pulling it up the mountain.
i may find a reasonable WD hitch on craigslist someday but untiil then ,i'll just go with my ball and take it slow.
since its just me going camping, its one less thing i have to do to get up and going.

Joan
Jthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthiel View Post
i towed my "new" hi lo home from Lancaster with just my ball and it did fine.
the only time it felt like it was back there was pulling it up the mountain.
i may find a reasonable WD hitch on craigslist someday but untiil then ,i'll just go with my ball and take it slow.
since its just me going camping, its one less thing i have to do to get up and going.

Joan
They do tow nicely eh Joan? I tend to feel mine in the turns but it isn't a bad feeling, just reminds me I have a happy home following me around. My truck downshifts on every hill also but that's to be expected.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballsocal View Post
Jim: The plants are out but the spring bloom won't really hit for another month. Yes, it was the Imperial sand dunes I was riding through. In another month, it will be absolutely carpeted in flowers and will be even more beautiful.

On the WD. I know what they do and how they work and they are a great addition. I at no time felt like I needed them though. Perhaps with a lighter truck or a heavier trailer or in higher winds, then I might need to get them out (The bars are kept inside the trailer). Many folks don't know that you are supposed to unhook the spring bars when you are going over sharp transitions (Such as drive ways to gas stations) as it puts alot of stress on the hitch. I have seen hitches cracked because of not doing this. I'd rather not have to hook up and unhook several times a trip due to this.

Again. I can't speak for anyone else but with my tow vehicle and trailer, the WD system isn't absolutely necessary for me to have an easy tow.
I have never heard of having to remove the bars nor have I read anything in any of the hitch instructions about it. Maybe certain types of hitches have issues with that.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #27

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

The manual recommends a WDH. I've towed both ways and you just can't beat a WDH. Level ride, more stable, what more could you ask for?
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I have never heard of having to remove the bars nor have I read anything in any of the hitch instructions about it. Maybe certain types of hitches have issues with that.
I've just scoured the internets trying to find out where I read that and had no luck. It was a story about a guy who had a reese hitch break the mounting bolts clean off. He contacted reese and was told that the trailer and tow vehicle had been doing too much bending at the hitch while traveling over the transitions. First it was flexing like this: \/ then it would flex like this: /\ . The pressure that the spring bars were placing on the hitch was immense and damaged the hitch and reese claimed it was the owners fault. I can't find anything on it though.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #29

In the world of Weight Distribution hitches there are basically two types:

Trunnion/round bar hitches that distribute the load and use a friction or cam mechanism that reduces sway. Manufactures of these are Reese, Valley, Draw-Tite and others. For comparison try Weight Distribution Hitches at etrailer.com. These are relatively inexpensive, and it is what I have on my Hi-Lo.

The second type is the Dual-Pivot that are "Guaranteed to Eliminate Trailer Sway" the previous types only state that they reduce sway. Both of the dual-pivot models were invented by Jim Hensley and are manufactured by rival companies Trailer Sway Control Hitch by ProPride 3P or Trailer Sway Control by Hensley. These are quite expensive, like 4 or 5 times the cost. I guess the Guarantee should be worth something.

Maybe I'll upgrade when I win the lottery!

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #30

Hi Fireball,

You really caught me be surprise when you brought up the need to remove the spring bars for sharp transitions!

Since reading that, I've done some Web searching regarding WD hitches and, like you, could find no reference to having to remove the torsion bars as stated above. I've towed with WD hitches (two different styles) for over 40 years now, both with Hi-Lo's and four-horse trailers and never had a problem, and never even considered removing the torsion bars (for any reason). I even when back to the installation/instruction manuals for both of my WD hitches and again, found no warnings, cautions, or operating restrictions.

I won't say that a WD hitch block has never been cracked, or mounting bolts sheared, or that Reese refused to warranty either, because I believe its probably happened as you read and reported. Based on my many years experience working in Fleet Machine Shops as a Navy Machinery Repairman, I've can absolutely state that it is possible for a human (HAH, I almost wrote "Sailor") to break anything (assuming no manufacturing flaws). But I've also learned that virtually every "impossible," break is due to poor maintenance or operator error. My guess is that perhaps you only got one side of the story.

BTW, if you're comfortable towing without a WD hitch... go for it and enjoy the BIG bloom!

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 AM   #31

Default sway away? tighten up those hitches!

Yes our small 18 ft is handled easily by a tight secure hitch,no wobble in it between insert members to main hitch.
HILO hitch from vehicle must not have wobble or play(dangerous).Can be adjusted by a slight welded bead welded on 2 inch tang insert or around acceptance 2 inch sleeve to within 1/16th inch.
This tiny small amount averts the swaying most units can get in a GREAT Deal of sway.
jwswans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:54 AM   #32

I just purchase a 1508T Hi-Lo and pulled it home with my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. I took my 20 year old Easy Lift WD hitch with a 2 5/16 ball. When I went to hook it up I found out the trailer has a 2 inch ball. The person I bought from gave me a 2 inch ball and shank. I pulled the trailer home at express way speeds in rush hour. It tacked perfect with no sway. The trailer weights approx. 2500 lbs with the options I have. Maybe a little lighter. The tongue weight is supposed to be 260 lbs. I have asked two hitch installers if I should consider a WD hitch and they told me if I don't have sag that everything should be OK. Should I be concerned?

Johnnie
Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #33
Site Team

If the tongue weight is really only 260, you probably do not need a WD hitch with that truck. But, I'd measure it to find the actual weight.

- Jack
Old 11-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #34

Johnnie,
I agree with Jack regarding tongue weight and sag.

HOWEVER, wait until you have the trailer fully loaded (including tanks), and the back of the truck Loaded with ALL the stuff you normally take camping, then check for sag.

Any sag at the hitch can seriously impair both steering control and braking ability.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDoering View Post
Johnnie,
I agree with Jack regarding tongue weight and sag.

HOWEVER, wait until you have the trailer fully loaded (including tanks), and the back of the truck Loaded with ALL the stuff you normally take camping, then check for sag.

Any sag at the hitch can seriously impair both steering control and braking ability.

Jim
I second that!
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #36
sam

Default Towing

My two cents worth. Have some one in a car follow behind when you are fully loaded up. We didn't realize we had sway until I did this. Our truck is 12ft and then our 25ft HiLo. Lots of length to sway. Many cars were passing us and cutting over in the left lane. They were pulling somewhat on the shoulder to avoid our sway. It makes sense that with all that length you would sway. We've discussed this before. What would the insurance Co. deduct if the accident was caused because of an inproper tow set up or lack of sway control.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #37

Thanks for all the replies. I am a retired engineer and, as most engineers, we tend to over engineer everything. I want to be safe. I used to own a conventional trailer many years ago. Hence the 2 5/16 Easy Lift WD hitch and a friction anti sway bar. It's been stored for more that 20 years. I could put a 2 inch ball on it and use it with my new Hi-Lo. But, man is it heavy. It was really nice to pick up a 2 inch ball and shank and off I went. My next step is to look at the set up with a full load. I also am considering a look at some class ll WD hitches and see if they are lighter. I am not getting any younger.

Thanks again,

Johnnie
Old 11-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #38

I ended up purchasing an Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch.

Johnnie