Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 08-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #1

Location: Chandler, AZ, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy for now anyway
Default Need Eyes on These Pics to Help Me Understand if This M2306C Has Issues

I'm reaching out the brain trust of the Hi-Lo forum to help me determine if a particular M2306C Hi-Lo has serious or acceptable issues. I have been communicating with a dealer who is selling an apparently good condition M2306 Classic. The deaer fprwarded some high res pics to me, that are too big to upload here, so I reduced their resolution and have them posted here for your review and comments.

Not sure how to insert comments between pictures so I will just offer them up here.

A couple of exterior pics indicate to me possible delamination. The dealer says no, but it sure looks like the upper section has deformation.

The roof looks pretty good to me, but your evaluation matters more.

The interior looks to be clean and in good shape. I did notice a sizable stain on the floor from possible water leak from the overhead vent that seems to be in that general area. Additionally, if you look at the hinges on the small access door to the right they are well rusted. Another indication of water.

The undercarriage looks pretty typical for a 10 year old TT. The metal straps that hold up the various tanks show some light rust, easily fixed. The hydraulic unit also has rust on it as well. Not sure if that is a problem or not.

Thank you again for your comments and help.

S4ordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
sam

Default Possible HiLo purchase

You would have to see the HiLo in person to do a thorough inspection using the buyers check list. It does look like something is going on with the side? The roof looks good in the pictures. However,the only way to asses the roof is to get a ladder and go up on the roof and feel for soft spots. Metal roofs are known to have reactions with disimilar metals and develop pinpoint holes. I would have to take a floor machine and a stripper/cleaner to see if the yellow would come out of the floor. Then a good coat of wax. Private buy are usually cheaper and can come with maintenance records. Check the date on the tires. Down the road you would probably end up replacing the ref. and maybe airconditioner. Any of the other major appliances could require replacement/electronic boards.Best of luck with your decision.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #3

Location: Chandler, AZ, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy for now anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
You would have to see the HiLo in person to do a thorough inspection using the buyers check list. It does look like something is going on with the side? The roof looks good in the pictures. However,the only way to asses the roof is to get a ladder and go up on the roof and feel for soft spots. Metal roofs are known to have reactions with disimilar metals and develop pinpoint holes. I would have to take a floor machine and a stripper/cleaner to see if the yellow would come out of the floor. Then a good coat of wax. Private buy are usually cheaper and can come with maintenance records. Check the date on the tires. Down the road you would probably end up replacing the ref. and maybe airconditioner. Any of the other major appliances could require replacement/electronic boards.Best of luck with your decision.
Thanks Sam for the comments and recommendations. This trailer is 1300 miles away from me in the NW. The dealer has a good reputation and has been truthful in my dealings with them. I just don't want to travel that far to discover the trailer has considerable issues. I prefer buying from existing owners for the reasons you cite.

Dan
Old 08-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #4

Looking at the floor stain it could have been from an entrance rug. The hinges by the door are also easily wetted going in and out during rain. I guess I'd have to want it really bad, spent a lot of time searching and getting a really good price to travel that far.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #5

the hinges on the little access door ( lift buttons) with rust on them is a bit unusual, but a good rain blowing in through the screen door or a wet raincoat dripping down could account for that. So- maybe that is a water stain on the floor- hard to say.

Th delamination on the outside looks more to me like something hit it. Looks like touch up paint to me. Cant tell anything one way or the other from the underneath pictures. Discoloration on the glide bars looks pretty normal to me. All in all- its is really hard to tell much from this and I agree you really need to be up and close to get a good indication .

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #6
Site Team

Is the tongue jack missing its "foot"?

I agree with Rick - the stain on the floor and the rust on the hinges looks fairly innocuous to me. I'm seeing NO damage to the interior paneling there, so it looks to me like something spilled on the vinyl.

The only thing I see that has me worried is the damage to the lower edge of the top on the side. But even that looks fairly small. If you trust the dealer, ask him about it.

- Jack
Old 08-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Is the tongue jack missing its "foot"?

I agree with Rick - the stain on the floor and the rust on the hinges looks fairly innocuous to me. I'm seeing NO damage to the interior paneling there, so it looks to me like something spilled on the vinyl.

The only thing I see that has me worried is the damage to the lower edge of the top on the side. But even that looks fairly small. If you trust the dealer, ask him about it.

- Jack
Thanks for the feedback Jack. I have higher res pics and looking closer it does look like there is an area that has been repainted. Paint looks like it is flaking off a bit. I have business travel that will take me within 300 miles of where the trailer is located. I might as well take a day off and drive to see it in person.

Jack, I see you are in Pine, AZ. We visit family up the hill from us in Payson. I'd love to hear of where there are good accessible boondock campgrounds in that area as it is close to us (90min - 2hrs) depending upon traffic and speed. Perfect for a short weekend getaway from the heat.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #8

Nice pick up on the jack foot, Jack! I swear you ex-airforce guys don't miss a trick. I notice almost nothing. My sister once walked into the kitchen of an apartment I was living in and said, " Rick. Come quick. One of your kitchen cabinet doors is closed!"

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
Nice pick up on the jack foot, Jack! I swear you ex-airforce guys don't miss a trick. I notice almost nothing. My sister once walked into the kitchen of an apartment I was living in and said, " Rick. Come quick. One of your kitchen cabinet doors is closed!"

Rick
My Wife notes that I don't see "dirt" (unless it's on my car or truck).

Lots of good camping places near Payson, ordie. There's one just at the north end of town if you want to stay close. Then there are a couple that are east of Payson just under the Rim (Tonto Creek is one). And, there are a bunch up ON the rim, near the lakes up there (Bear Canyon Lake, Woods Canyon Lake, and Knoll Lake are ones I know about).

Lot's of great hiking around here too.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #10

We had a rubber backed rug that made a similar type stain on the floor one time.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #11
Site Team

Default Stain

Agree with you RichR, I've seen that same stain several times, in trailers and houses. I'm kinda wondering about that rack on the rear bumper, it extends beyond the street side bumper and a spare tire on the curb side (?) And, yes the jack pad is missing, not a problem of course. Replaceable.
By the way Park City, Utah is beautiful this time of year, just got back.
Treeclimber
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:06 PM   #12

I believe what you are seeing in picture #4 (possible delamination), is where the top sits on the frame extension and has bounced causing a little mushrooming affect.
BobandAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #13

Thanks Bob and Angie for the feedback. I did eventually go look at this trailer in person when I had business travel nearby. Pics were good. The trailer was in pretty good shape but the asking price was more than I wanted to pay. So no deal.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #14

How much did they want for it ? just curious because it looks to be just like the one I just bought only mine is a 93 that is in real good condition and has been stored inside since 00. I paid $2200. for mine and they wanted $2500.
Holzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzie View Post
How much did they want for it ? just curious because it looks to be just like the one I just bought only mine is a 93 that is in real good condition and has been stored inside since 00. I paid $2200. for mine and they wanted $2500.
They wanted $11,000 for the trailer. Seemed somewhat flexible down to $10k, It was in good condition but to me about $3-$4k too much.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4ordie View Post
They wanted $11,000 for the trailer. Seemed somewhat flexible down to $10k, It was in good condition but to me about $3-$4k too much.
Here is what NADA says:2006 Hi Lo Classic Series M-2306C Prices and Used Values | NADAguides
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #17

Certainly has some wear and tear. My husband and i bought a 2003 Hi lo about 5 months ago and its in great condition no wear and tear anywhere. And we found it clean. The up and down hydraulics works great which is of the utmost importance. If the hydraulics isn't working or not working properly don't buy it or you will need to buy a new hydraulic system. Too much wear and tear is not good unless you want to do repairs and spend some money fixing things. Also make sure the top unit fits securely to bottom unit. The top unit seal should fit securely to the bottom unit seal. There should be no gaps between the top and bottom unit.

Our camper was stored inside a garage for most of its life that is why it was so clean inside and out.
Luisa48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #18

Currently I am repairing a hi lo with the same type of exterior damage on kitchen side. The top 1/2 is basically 1"x1" square steel tube frame. And there is not much steel in it. The black on the guide rail tells me that frame is bent. Look at the other 3, there probably little to marks on them. Now the bad news, if I am correct you will have delamination. Hilo like many other companies seem to use every water absorbing material there is. Between the wall paper, and the exterior siding there is no where for the water to go but up, and believe me it does. There is 2 layers of plywood on the botom of the frame, so you may not see it inside yet, but I do see a bubble on the outside.
These campers are really cool, the gas savings is real, the dealer maybe honest, but is the previous owner?

funchaser18 is offline   Reply With Quote