Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 01-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #1

Default Opportunity to purchase a Hi Lo

Hello,

I'm a new member to this forum and I'm amazed at all the information on the Hi Lo trailers! What a great resource. I have an opportunity to buy a Hi Lo Towlite this spring, but have many questions before finalizing the deal. The mfg. sticker has a date of 10-99, model 190TD. Is this actually a 2000 model or a 1999? Is there any difference in the value? The trailer is currently stored outside in the frozen North Country, so I have not seen the inside yet. It does have the following exterior options: a Dometic roof A/C, antenna, spare tire & mount and rear bumper storage. Does this year/model have a rubber roof and fiberglass sides? Is the body framework of steel or wood? Having no idea what the inside looks like, and assuming it has all the standard interior appliances, would anyone want to give me a ballpark figure on what would be a fair price on this trailer? Being new to this I'm sure to have more questions in the future, but I am having a blast learning about the Hi Lo! Thanks for your advise.

photocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #2

Welcome

Yes- a good deal of information here. For starters- try going to the "library" section on the forum and look for a brochure in the years close to what you are looking for. That should give you an idea of what was available for the different years and models. You could have either a fiberglass or aluminum outside on that year model as that was just about the time they were switching over. Same with frame- though I believe by 2000 they were making them pretty exclusively with steel. Below is a link you get to started on looking at what they are being LISTED for around the country based on year and length. NADA is another source, though I have found those prices usually a bit low for trailers in good condition. A trailer listed as 10/99 vs one listed as 2000 will not be a major deciding factor in terms of value. For a trailer of this age you are really considering the condition it is in and accessories. More will be along with advice and specific information. Good luck.

New And Used Hi-Lo Travel Trailer For Sale On Rv Trader

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #3

Welcome. You're looking at a 2000 model year. Can't help you with the rest but you could look in the library section of the forum for brochures. That was where I started before I purchased ours last fall.

Jim
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocamper View Post
Hello,

I'm a new member to this forum and I'm amazed at all the information on the Hi Lo trailers! What a great resource. I have an opportunity to buy a Hi Lo Towlite this spring, but have many questions before finalizing the deal. The mfg. sticker has a date of 10-99, model 190TD. Is this actually a 2000 model or a 1999? Is there any difference in the value? The trailer is currently stored outside in the frozen North Country, so I have not seen the inside yet. It does have the following exterior options: a Dometic roof A/C, antenna, spare tire & mount and rear bumper storage. Does this year/model have a rubber roof and fiberglass sides? Is the body framework of steel or wood? Having no idea what the inside looks like, and assuming it has all the standard interior appliances, would anyone want to give me a ballpark figure on what would be a fair price on this trailer? Being new to this I'm sure to have more questions in the future, but I am having a blast learning about the Hi Lo! Thanks for your advise.
Welcome to the forum.

This was taken from NDgent's post here on the forum. It is a great go-by list. You can do a search of thinking about buying and find his post to read it first hand.

Basically, start with the visual items –
1. Exterior
• Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
• Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
• Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
2. Interior cleanliness of the unit-
• Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
• Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
• Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
3. Test appliance functions –
• lights
• fans
• refrigerator
• air conditioner
• heater
• water pump
• range hood
• stovetop
• oven (if equipped)
• microwave (if equipped)
• stereo (if equipped)
4. Lift System-
• Does the unit raise and lower properly
• Check the lift system for hydraulic leaks (puddle under the trailer)
• Check the lift cables to see if they are in good shape and not frayed
• Check the seal between the upper and lower body halves for tears or damage
5. fill the tanks to the top and check for leaks
6. Battery
7. Solar Panel (if equipped)

I didn't see that model listed on the NADA guide for '99 or 2000.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f52/...brochure-1661/
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #5

Hi photocamper; Welcome to the forum. We will be able to help you better if we know more info about you. Finish filling out your profile and signature. What state are you from =, what state is the HiLo in? You might find a local owner who would help you inspect it. What are you going to pull it with? The more we know the better the info you will get. Enjoy
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote