Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 12-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #1

Default Rebuilding the top

I looked at a 2004, 19' this past weekend and it is OK on the outside but the roof has leaked and inside, the top is ruined.

Inside it smelled moldy so I assume I'd need to completely replace the top, (frame and all) I'd get rid of the mold smell.

I'm quite capable of removing and disassembling the existing top, then making a new one complete if required. I was wondering if that is a pretty extensive and time consuming job?

The seller is asking $3300. Would I be better off to spend a bit more and get one in better condition?

All opinions are appreciated, especially if you have done this.-Jerry

cware48420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #2

Jerry, I have not done this, but there is probably more to this than meets the eye. $3k invested and then what? If you are going to completely replace the roof, framing and ceiling I'll bet you won't ever return your investment. Ever put a roof on an RV? More grief than you might be wanting to get into. I have replaced the roof on two class C's and it ain't fun.

2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
sam

Default should I buy this

I would run away from this HiLo. The seller is asking too much $ for the condition. You will find one in better condition and be camping a lot sooner. It can be fixed,but you are talking a lot ot time and materials. The walls could be damaged in addition to needing a new exterior roof. Also it sounds like an interior ceiling is needed. This advice comes from someone who has done extensive wall repair to my 1990 25ft. HiLo. You are spot on in asking advice before you buy.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #4

Jerry, don't pay anymore than what the owner could get if he was going to scrap it out. Does it have a good AC, Furnace, HWH, Refrigerator, Converter? Does the electric lift work? Does it have an awning and is it in good shape? The tires will probably need replacing. How about the bottom half, is the Upholstery in good shape, carpet? Any soft or discolored flooring? Bathroom in decent shape? If everything is in good condition, I would probably give around a $1000.00 for it. Trust me this is not a cheap remodel, especially if you're going to use quality materials and trust me You will be replacing some of the paneling and styrofoam on the sidewalls. Been there Done that. I did a full upper remodel on a 24' Hi-Lo I bought for a Dollar and and I have over $3000.00 in just materials and I didn't replace the roof. I fixed the holes with eternabond tape and then painted the roof with KoolSeal. If your interested in what your getting yourself into you can look on this site for "Demolition Begins" plus watch the 2 You Tube videos I posted of what I started with and what I ended up with. It can be done, it took me most of a summer to complete my remodel, but I have to say it was worth it.

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote