Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 03-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisakjcowgirl2016 View Post
do anyone know where I might find marker lights that have four wires. All the ones I am finding have one 2 wires (black and white). my upper 2 lights have 4 wires (2 green and 2 white)
Lisa, you do not need lights with 4 wires. In fact, it probably doesn't even matter what color wire you attach to the existing ones, since ordinary incandescent lights are not polarized (doesn't matter which way the current runs through them).

Since the two wires in the new fixture are black and white, connect the white wire to BOTH of the white wires coming from the trailer with a wire nut. Do the same thing with the black wire, connecting it to BOTH of the existing green wires.

AND, since you have a green wire going to the marker lights, I know for sure that the green wire on your stop/turn/license/running light is the one to attach to the green wire in the new fixture.

- Jack

JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
I had DH read jack and tree climbers posts. A PLUS on the advice both of them gave you.Look at the tail lights and see if you have a clear lens inside the big red reflector. If you do these are back up lights. We have this clear section on the lens assembly. Ours is a 1990 25ft. Rear Door Classic. DH says if we lived closer he would be glad to come over and get your lights installed. Keep us posted. I agree we have some good tech guys when it comes to electrical. My trailer is covered up so I can't get you a picture of what I am talking about. The light is mostly red with a small white square..back up light. Keep us posted.
Good Morning Mr. Sam,

Yes I have the clear lens with a separate bulb in there, I did suspect that it was for the back up lights.

lisakjcowgirl2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #43

Quote:
I had DH read jack and tree climbers posts. A PLUS on the advice both of them gave you.Look at the tail lights and see if you have a clear lens inside the big red reflector. If you do these are back up lights. We have this clear section on the lens assembly. Ours is a 1990 25ft. Rear Door Classic. DH says if we lived closer he would be glad to come over and get your lights installed. Keep us posted. I agree we have some good tech guys when it comes to electrical. My trailer is covered up so I can't get you a picture of what I am talking about. The light is mostly red with a small white square..back up light. Keep us posted.
yes Mr. Sam I have the clear section on the lens assembly. Thanks for letting me know that they are back up lights. My unit has two separate bulbs. The one for the back up light base broke so I have ordered two units to just go ahead and replace both. It is just that the wire colors are different and I am confused on how to reconnect them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170307_093525.jpg (158.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Oh, cool. I don't think you had a backup light on your trailer before, and if that's the case you won't be using the red wire. You could cut it off or just not connect it to anything.

Wire the two white wires to your trailer ground wire (it's also white in my trailer and the wiring diagram in the library says it's white).

The wiring diagram says the left blinker/stop light circuit is a red wire in the trailer. You'd wire your black wire to that one.

The wiring diagram says the running lights in the trailer are fed with a green wire, so you'd wire your green wire to that one if you have it.

Hope this is not too confusing.

IF you have a multimeter, you can find the appropriate wires in your trailer this way if they are different colors. Put the multimeter in the DC volts position in a range that can handle 12V. Connect the ground lead of the multimeter to the white wire of your trailer.

Now you can probe the other trailer wires with the other multimeter lead as you activate each circuit from the tow vehicle. For instance, with the parking lights on, when you find a wire that gives you 12V (approximately), you've found the taillight (running) light circuit.

Edit: I've just studied the first picture you posted and see the wires you show are coming out of the trailer. If you pull gently on them, you might discover they are connected to other wires inside the back with wire nuts. In any case, the white wire is definitely the ground wire. You'd have to trace the other wires "inside" your old fixture to see which bulbs they feed.

- Jack
Mr. Jack,

I just went and followed your advice. The 2 yellow wires are hooked up to the Back Up Light (top section, clear part of light cover). I have established that I do have back up lights on rear trailer light housing. The Red and Green wire is hooked up to the Stop/Turn/Blinker Light (lower section, red part of light cover) and the White wire is Grounded to the light frame.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #45
sam

Default Sent you a PM

Did you get a chance to call Manteli trailer sales for parts?
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #46

Quote:
I called this morning snd Jay was not there. The gentleman that answered the phone took a message snd saud ge would gave him return my call. He informed ne that he was in and out getting ready for a show or something. I will try again tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #47
sam

Default Keep trying

Keep trying I know it will be worth the effort.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #48

Quote:
Keep trying I know it will be worth the effort.
Mr. Sam,

I will try again tomorrow. The tech from the company I ordered my lights from emailed me once I submitted the pictures of my lights. He gave me instructions on how to connect the new lights with my existing ones. I am replacing all of my exterior lights because they are rusty and corroded. That might be why they are not working. Either way I am having an electrician come and check because as stated earlier I only have 1 running light and 2 interior lights that work throughout the trailer.

After the recent rains I did go in the trailer to check the wall and it was dry. I do believe that I have fixed two of the leaks that was in there.(which I did not discover until I tore out the wall). I did use the caulking suggested and also applied eternabond tape along the edge of the roof and all roof seams. now have to replace the vent over the tub because it is rusted and leaking. The ceiling has been damaged from the water coming in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161002_130142.jpg (174.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20170102_104520_Burst01.jpg (150.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-09-2017, 06:47 AM   #49

Sounds like you're making good progress. I know fixing these things can be tough but you're doing great.

Also in the garage, some stuff to pull it:
1999 3/4 ton 'Burb
1993 Roadmaster wagon (well, it probably won't pull it)
r67northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #50
sam

Default Keep going

We are here to cheer you on and give you advice. We lost all our interior light several years ago. DH knows how to fix this. I wonder if you could use a fiberglass repair kit to fix your escape vent?
Old 03-11-2017, 02:47 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by r67northern View Post
Sounds like you're making good progress. I know fixing these things can be tough but you're doing great.
Thank You So Kindly
Old 03-11-2017, 02:52 AM   #52

Quote:
Mr. Sam,

I spoke with Mr. Jay this on Friday afternoon. I submitted him a picture of my marker lights and the tail lights. He was able to explain to me why I have 4 wires instead of two. He told me that one wire is power to that light and the other wire leads out to the next wire to provide power to it as so on. He said did have the same light as on the trailer but that it did not come with wires. I informed him that I had ordered some off the internet and I sent him a picture. I also told him what they said the different color wires were for and he told me exactly how to hook them up.

Thank you so much again for providing me with his number
Old 03-11-2017, 02:56 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
lisa, I'll jump in. I suspect one of the green wires supplies power to this assemble and the other green feeds power to the next light in line. Same with the white, which as Jack says is ground.
Tree
Thank you for your input. You are absolutely right. I spoke with Mr. Jay at Mantelli and he explained the exact same thing to me. I am just going to replace all of my exterior lights because they are rusted and corroded. However, the new lights will only have two wires (a black and a white). So Mr. Jay told me how to hook them up

Thanks again
Old 03-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #54
sam

Default Good information from Jay Simon

Keep the contact information for Mantelli trailer sales. Jay will answer questions any time. They have a big internet business and will ship parts out same day service. You just can't beat someone with 30 yrs. of HiLo experience. 1-716-625-8877.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 PM   #55

I have ordered a new porch light since I am changing all of my exteriors lights. All of them are rusty and has come corrosion.

My new light comes with a black and white wire only. But the one on my trailer has 3 a black and yellow wire and then the white wire is grounded by the lower right screw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170313_213826.jpg (134.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20170313_223750.jpg (104.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-13-2017, 11:03 PM   #56

This just arrived and another project will be started soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170313_225015.jpg (115.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20170313_225030.jpg (105.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-13-2017, 11:09 PM   #57
Site Team

Lisa, regarding your porch light, the black wire from your trailer is definitely the +12V feed from the trailer. Is it connected to the yellow wire? If so then just connect the new light the same way. You MAY have wire nuts at the end of yellow and white wires inside the trailer wall, pull them out gently to see. If so, that's where you'd connect the new black and white wires.

- Jack
Old 03-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #58

Quote:
Lisa, regarding your porch light, the black wire from your trailer is definitely the +12V feed from the trailer. Is it connected to the yellow wire? If so then just connect the new light the same way. You MAY have wire nuts at the end of yellow and white wires inside the trailer wall, pull them out gently to see. If so, that's where you'd connect the new black and white wires.

- Jack
Mr. Jack,

I removed the light this morning and yes the black wire is connect to a yellow wire with a wire nut. However, there is no ground wire (white) coming out of the trailer. The white wire is connected to the back of the light and grounded by one of the screws.

I googled the model number that is on the base of the light and found the exact light on www.etrailer.com. I am going to order it today.

Thanks again kind sir!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170314_102533_HDR.jpg (170.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20170314_102620_HDR.jpg (161.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisakjcowgirl2016 View Post
Mr. Jack,

I removed the light this morning and yes the black wire is connect to a yellow wire with a wire nut. However, there is no ground wire (white) coming out of the trailer. The white wire is connected to the back of the light and grounded by one of the screws.

I googled the model number that is on the base of the light and found the exact light on Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924. I am going to order it today.

Thanks again kind sir!
NO, NO, No - You can use the light you have! The "ground" connection is not in the light, it's at the end of that white wire where it is attached to the frame by the rusty screw.

All you probably need to do is get a new, unrusty screw and wrap the end of your new white wire to it before screwing it back into the side of your trailer.

- Jack
Old 03-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #60

Quote:
NO, NO, No - You can use the light you have! The "ground" connection is not in the light, it's at the end of that white wire where it is attached to the frame by the rusty screw.

All you probably need to do is get a new, unrusty screw and wrap the end of your new white wire to it before screwing it back into the side of your trailer.

- Jack
Thanks Mr. Jack. What confussed me was that I only have 1 yellow wire coming out of my trailer wall. There is a light switch which operates it underneath my cabinet upon entering the trailer. So I guessed that the light grounded to itself. That was why I did not have a white wire coming out of the trailer wall.