Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 01-15-2020, 11:27 PM   #1

Default 1979 Hi Lo Back section leaking

Does anybody know how to take off the Back section of a 1979 Hi Lo so i can get to the back wall to fix leak and panels ?

migallep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:21 AM   #2
Site Team

migallep, any idea where the leak(s) is? That's a lot of work removing an end cap, if that's what you want to do. Chances are the leak is around the end cap seal and/or windows in the area. I'm not real familiar with the end cap of a '79, but on the caps I have removed,it takes at least two people to do this. And resealing it can be a bear.
If the goal is to repair existing wall damage, seems it would best to start inside, only my opinion.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #3

Also check the marker lights. Remove them and check the sealer behind them. The “dum-dum” sealer has a tendency to dry out allowing water to leak into the wire holes.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:59 AM   #4
Site Team

Good point, Bob
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:25 PM   #5

Default Welcome to the forum

You have been given some good advice. When our 1990 25ft. Classic suffered wall/water damage we repaired from the inside. Some walls were stripped back to the fiberglass. Then liquid bondo was applied to seal up any pinpoint holes you couldn't even see.The walls consist of 1/8th underlay then a sheet of insulation and finaly 1/8th sheet of paneling with the wallpaper on it. When the repairs were done we used heavy duty liquid nails to glue the layers back together. It held of quite well. Someone told me recently about Locktite caulk. We no longer own this trailer. The new owner says everything is fine. I have lots of tips that were helpful with our renovation/repairs. We now own a 1996 26ft. Classic. All the windows except the front curved one have been taken out and resealed. Good thing we did this as we found a small area of delamination at the bottom of the escape window. Elmers glue and a clamp fixed this. All the day and night shades were taken down. Two were droopy and contact cement was used for that repair. Someone went crazy with the impact gun while crewing the blind to the wall. One window opening was cut a bit oversized. DH shimmed it up for a better fit. Keep the questions coming and post often.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:32 AM   #6

after owning 6 rv Skylight is my go to LEAK...Other than that Info above and good luck
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:06 PM   #7

Sometimes the square head screws rust out and the plastic ribbon that you can get that fits in the channel it dries up. Get screws, plastic filler ribbon and that gray clay stuff. Try just the back trim it was the last one fastened and I think people tend to park them nose up back to the sun... lol
The Ohioian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:55 PM   #8
sam

Default Leaks on a HiLo.

This spring/summer DH plans on going over every inch of the caulking. J&R pointed out to us to put caulk above the belt line. DH will clean all areas with alcohol and reapply Lexel caulk as needed. We also didn't have caulk around where the door window meets the leather. J&R took off our external refrigerator cover/vent. The screws weren't caulked properly. New metal vent applied.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote