Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #1

Default 1989 Hi-Lo Interior Lighting Update

My daughter and her hubby's new-to-them 1989 22' Hi-Lo Funchaser had an interior light make over. We replaced all the interior bulbs with Warm White LEDs from Eversale. We got them from Amazon. There are 2 dome lights under the counter in the sink area, 1 over the dinette and 2 in the bathroom. All use an 1156 bulb. We replaced these with LEDs that screw in to the socket vs the flat ones. The LEDs are super nice and don't have any hint of blue in them like the Cool White ones do. Also, we don't see any side glare to them. Nice lights and less draw on the battery for sure.

Here's a pic of the dome lights side-by-side. The left side has the regular 1156 bulb in it and the LED on the right side. In person, I see a little more yellow with the bulb. I can't see the yellow in the pic below. The LED is just as bright.

Pics of 1156 bulb with LED comparison

size comparison in my hand

packaged LED

More story and pics to follow.

89Hilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #2

I've got lots of pics so please bear with me.

Here are a couple of pics showing the Warm-White LEDs in the bathroom.

dome light in bathroom over vanity. Nice bright light for sure.

both dome lights shining into bathroom area.

Next, we decided to update the look of the interior and replaced the 5 candlestick light fixtures with the small shades. Here's a pic of the fixture.

We decided to replace with this new fixture.

I bought this light in sets of 2 off ebay so I bought a total of 6 lights (1 extra). Total cost around $48.

More pics to follow.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #3

Here's a description of this light fixture:

RV Dome Ceiling Lights 12 volt

6-3/4" x 4-3/8" x 2"

built-in on / off switch

Includes #921 bulbs and lens (lens snaps in place)

12 volt light output 21 watts, 1.75 amp (per light)

CSA approved C US

part # RV-IL21

More pics.....................

This is the back of the light. It has an on/off switch so you can leave on the main switch and operate each independently.

pretty standard stuff

2mm hole.

I bought some #10 wood screws for another project and they don't fit the hole. We bought some #8 wood screws and they fit just right. I think we went with 1 1/2".

tight fit right above the dinette area. I credit my measuring skills to wood shop in high school. LOL

Have a few more pics.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #4

The new fixtures use the 921 bulb. I looked around ebay and other sites for a relatively inexpensive fixture like this that used the 1156 bulb so I could have this all around with LEDs but didn't like them or the price.

Here's a comparison pic of the 921 bulb and LED. The LED is Warm-White and was purchased from Eversale on Amazon. Just a note, I ordered the LEDs on a Thursday morning and they were on my door step Monday morning standard shipping!!!!

Sorry no hand model pic. LOL These are smaller than the 1156's.

light fixture mounted. My son-in-law likes to do everything A-1. He put waterproof butt connectors to connect the wiring from the TT to the light and used a lighter to heat shrink it for a great, reliable connection.

light on with the LED.

both LED lights on above dinette area. The lower dome light shining downward has the 1156 LED in it.

Last part of pics to follow.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #5

Okay, the grand finale is here. Hope you enjoyed this update. We are pretty proud of it because we can see the difference. I wish I would have taken a pic with all the older fixtures with regular bulbs lit.

We think the unit is well lighted now and looks more updated. The lights are bright enough that if you want lower lighting all you have to do is turn 1 light on and you can see throughout the unit.

pic of stove, sink area showing newer fixture above and the 2 original under-the-counter dome lights........all with Warm-White LEDs. My son-in-law in the mirror pondering his next TT purchase. LOL

You saw the pic of the bathroom lighted with LEDs. The next pic is taken from the bathroom toward the front of the unit. My son-in-law is seated at the dinette with a proud smile on his face. He's turning 30 at the end of this month and this unit is part of his birthday present.......must be nice.

Night-time pic of the 22' unit. You can't see them, but those are new tires on the TT.

Hope you enjoyed the pics. For anyone that wants to update their lights, you have lots of options. Total cost for lights and materials was under $110. This includes 2 extra 1156 LEDs and 2 extra 921 LEDs for spares.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #6

Nice report on your project! You shouldn't need the spare bulbs for at least 25 years if they go bad under normal conditions.

I see you have a non-stock shower curtain that shows in one photo. Did you have to do anything special with it like cut it shorter or use different hangers?
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I see you have a non-stock shower curtain that shows in one photo. Did you have to do anything special with it like cut it shorter or use different hangers?
The former owner installed that. I think they are the standard wrap around hangers. I believe he cut the bottom even with the sit down chair and then velcroed everything around the bottom. I'm not sure how he did it, but I think he removed the faucet fixture, cut the curtain and re-installed the faucet fixture so the curtain remains fixed behind the faucet now. The sprayer hose comes over the curtain and down into the tub. He used a rope and clips to hold the shower hose. We haven't messed with it. The velcro may have to be replaced though after years of usage.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
sam

Default Lighting upgrade

Thanks for the post and pictures. DH has talked about changing to Led lights. Maybe this will help him do it.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote