Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 06-30-2022, 04:22 PM   #1

Default 1989 Hi-Lo, needs some TLC, and I need help! 😁

Just bought a fairly decent 1989 Hi-Lo.
But there are a couple of troubleshooting items I need assistance with:

1. When I hook the trailer's electrical plug up to my truck to tow it, it engages a trailer brake on the passenger front tire (it's double axle). I currently have to use accessory lights until I can fix this. Does anyone know what could be causing this or how to fix? My truck is a 2013 GMC with a tow package. I don't have this issue with any other trailers I attach.

2. I read on some of the other forums here that there is a library of manuals. I cannot find this library on here. Where is it, as I'm looking for the manual for this?

3. What is a good recommendation for separating the "bathroom" from the rest of the camper given this is the collapsible one (Funmaker I believe).

redrumdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi and welcome!

The HiLo library of manuals is here: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/ If you can't find a manual for your 1989 model, this is one for a 1990 version: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49...-classic-2016/ HiLo published "generic" manuals for each year's models so that one works for ALL 1990 models. Additionally, HiLo did not change their trailers much between model years in most cases, so I suspect this manual would work for you.

If you have a brake that's engaging by itself when you plug your tow truck into the trailer, that brake is receiving electrical power somehow. I believe you when you say your truck is not at fault - that would engage ALL the brakes. But, there is a single blue brake wire from the trailer plug that is delivering power to ALL the trailer brakes - it should split back near the axles, with a feed to each brake. Do you have braking to the remaining trailer brakes when you step on the truck's brake pedal. Possibly, they are inop and the only one working is the front one on the curb side. What happens to the brakes when you disconnect the tow vehicle and pull the safety breakaway switch? This should fully engage ALL brakes.

This can be a difficult thing to trace, but if the other three brakes work properly, simply disconnect the bad one from its blue input wire and start looking for what is delivering voltage to it with the TV connected.

I don't understand what you are asking about separating the bathroom. It's in its own little room, isn't it?

- Jack