Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-04-2015, 11:53 AM   #1

Default 1992 22l

My very first camper purchase ever.

Think I may have made a mistake.

So the wife and I picked this up on Friday. Started cleaning it up over the weekend and I noticed water damage below every window. Some worse than other and I noticed damage above and to the right of the front drivers side window. I am extremely handy and can fix anything. I just don't know how to find out what all needs to be repaired and check that out. And the exact process of doing so. I know the windows should all be pulled and reset. What about the leak above the other window? How do I found out if the damage goes to a point where walls have to be replaced. I have a ton more questions and have been digging around this site for answers but having a hard time pinpointing certain topics related to certain models. I want to love this camper but right now, I can't because the unknown questions of what we have gotten ourselves into.

luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:04 PM   #2

Smile

I spent several hours "just reading" posts on here and I learned a lot. I haven't had a lot of luck finding info with searches. My suggestion is to just read everything, there is a ton of useful information here. Good luck, and remember, everything is fixable (I am a daughter of an old car restorationalist!) I've seen it happen!

iamgailmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
gus

Hello Luke
first, you should not feel bad that you found out there was something wrong with your camper, most of us did also found, still finding and you either repair it yourself or pay someone to do it.
second, it might look intimidating to figure out where to start, but look at it this way, if there is area of concern, then don't worry, the damaged area is your guide as where to start, rip the panels that have water damage and study the area behind it, it may need a section to cut and repair.
Third, these campers are built just like any other type campers from that time period, the only difference is the lift system (hydraulics, cables..etc) but the walls, windows, floor, are similar, no difference.
fourth, you will get a lot of joy when you finish the job, the feeling of your effort contributing to the repair and enjoying the results afterwards.
lastly, you will find a lot of resources on this forum, because whatever is wrong with your hi-lo, somebody on this forum experienced similar issues and they fixed it, and they were kind enough to share the process and details of how to tackle the repair.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:42 PM   #4

Keep running searches with water leak or restoration or rebuild. Many have don extensive restoration work and have included photos. Start by pulling windows to re-caulk and peak inside the walls with a flashlight when you do to see what you can see. Water damage is not always showing up where the water first comes in.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

so should i go and and reset the windows for the season? would i have to reset them again when i repair any water damage after season?

I'm just not sure what i should do from that aspect
Old 05-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #6

Well- if it is leaking in the windows it is not going to quit- so unless you are sure it wont rain I'd consider doing it. The only cost is the caulking material and your time. It is a bit of a pia to do but not difficult. In fact- I need to do my windows this week or next---- google "re-caulking rv windows" and there is a good you tube video out there. But, yes, if you need to replace a wall or something yu may have to pull the windows again----but if you really want to use it this season I would look into it now. Stat with the worst one and see what you got would be my approach.

Rick

by the way- here is an example of a thread I got by searching water damage:

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f2/b...-remodel-3986/

rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
gus

When my windowr was leaking water, it was doing it when it rained, and I could see the kitchen window was getting wet on the inside, I got a garden hose and sprayed that side all along the window until I found the pin hole on the outside sheet metal, and it was a small hole, applied small amount of lexel rubber caulk to the pin hole and it never leaked again.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #8
sam

Default Welcome to the forum

You are not the first person to buy a damaged HiLo or any other brand of damaged HiLo. Good suggestion to pull your windows and reseal with butyl tape and Lexel caulk (Ace hardware) or on line. I did a post on resealing the window. With the window out you will be able to see the layers of your wall and any additional damage. Do you have a Towlite or a Classic? The wall construction if different for each type. Taking the windows is defeniately a DIY project. Do all your windows and then go camping. In the winter or spring you can start the wall repairs. Here is a link to my 1990 Classic wall repair 4-6-2014. Even those of us that are long time owners are still learning and sometimes making mistakes. HiLOs are very sturdy trailers and are worth fixing up.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #9

It is a 1992 22L, how do I determine if it is a towlite or classic. I pulled trim almost all the way around the inside on the top of the lower half wall. There is a metal bar sandwiched between layers on the lower wall? I also pulled the top trim that cover the rail of the top half. Spots on the top half rail have some would I would call minor water damage, and the upper walls adjacent to those areas will need repair. I am confident I can do the work. Will I have to separate the two halves to repair the upper half wall? I know I will if the rail needs replaced on the upper half, but what about just the wall panels? Thanks for the post thus far.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #10
gus

Luke,
Some pictures of the damaged area would help in figuring out the best approach.
if you are only replacing the panels, you may not need to separate the 2 half's.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:43 PM   #11
sam

Default Repairing dammaged walls

Show us a picture of your exterior and we can tell you if it is a Towlite or a Classic. It matters what model you have as to the correct approach for wall repairs. Here is a post about posting a picture.5-16-2010. It is best to separate the halves so that you can get out all the wet material and get the new panel properly placed. Another good post is 4-3-2010 replacing the roof gasket. This is the seal between the layers. 3-3-2010 Cable replacement in my 1998 HiLo24TD. This has color pictures that show where to place the 2x4s on the exterior corners and the jack he used. This is how you separate the halves. Keep the questions coming. Where are you located?
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #12

Thanks for the feedback. I am on 12 hour shifts this week and will get some pictures hopefully this weekend. I have a ton more questions and if some of you that have done this diy before I'd like to pick your brain sometime, possibly by phone if you were willing. After researching more on the forum I have no doubts in my ability to do the work. Just need more info and I will continue to research the site as well. Seems like a lot of great information here and great community of people.