Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 02-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #1

Default 2004 Hi lo Just bought have a question

Need info on black switch beside white raise and lower, it has 3 positions, can anyone tell me what up, middle, and down are, I can't find the answer I think it it is 12 volt or 110 or off , I really don't know, would appreciate help ! thanks

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:00 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Need info on black switch beside white raise and lower, it has 3 positions, can anyone tell me what up, middle, and down are, I can't find the answer I think it it is 12 volt or 110 or off , I really don't know, would appreciate help ! thanks
George, that might be your master switch. Middle is everything off, up is everything on, and down it when you raise and lower.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #3

Thank you ,
Old 02-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Thank you , can you tell me about up and down, I have it plugged in to 110, I just wonder if the switch should be up for 12 volt or down for 110 everything works , thank for the help
I have mine up when plugged in. 110 won't run much more than the lighting. When you shut it down, make sure you place that switch in the middle position or you'll drain the battery.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Thank you ,
Since we have the same year trailer, what is the length of yours??
Old 02-14-2015, 07:16 PM   #6

George, Welcome to the forum. As Ruben has stated, that is the master switch. When raising or lowering the trailer top, this switch needs to be in the down position. The middle position is considered the "traveling position". It cuts the 12v power off to lights, water pump, etc. The up position allows the lights, water pump, furnace, etc to work. This is how it is suppose to work. There have been some posts on this forum that stated their master switch worked in the opposite position (up for raise/lower and down for lights). Guess the factory installed those in "bass ackwards" Hope this helps.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #7

Default 24 hi lo

Thank you both, my hi lo is 24 ft tow lite, with slide, 2004 year. Just went to FT Worth to get it last week just got it up yesterday , to start the learning process, so far I luv it first trip next week, thank you both helped alot , from New Mexico
Old 02-14-2015, 08:45 PM   #8

Ruben , 24 ft tow lite, 2009 4x4 GMC with ARE cover, Eunice, NM , lol where is far west Texas ?
Old 02-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #9
sam

Default Welcome to the forum

George, This is a great forum to get your questions answered. Spend some time reading maintenance items in back posts. Some operational videos are posted and worth the read/viewing.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:20 PM   #10
Site Team

George, just so you'll know, since it wasn't mentioned: The middle and lower position of the Master switch DO NOT disconnect the refrigerator or the refrigerator fan. They stay active in all positions so your food will stay cool.

The middle position should always be used for traveling though, since it prevents the top raising motor from running which would be a disaster when traveling. I suppose the motor could be activated accidentally due to an electrical fault otherwise.

- Jack
Old 02-14-2015, 11:21 PM   #11

My 02 HiLo was one of those that had this switch "allegedly" reversed. When this switch was toggled upward it allowed me to operate the up/down function of the top. That seems ergonomically correct to me.

I am suggesting that most of the HiLo world were the ones wired backwards.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #12

Welcome to the forum, George, and congrats on your purchase! If you did not get an owner's manual with your unit, here is one you can print off:

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...2004-hi-lo-78/

Have fun!
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #13

Thank you all , what a great forum !
Old 02-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Ruben , 24 ft tow lite, 2009 4x4 GMC with ARE cover, Eunice, NM , lol where is far west Texas ?
The place of Marty Robbins fame....El Paso.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
George, just so you'll know, since it wasn't mentioned: The middle and lower position of the Master switch DO NOT disconnect the refrigerator or the refrigerator fan. They stay active in all positions so your food will stay cool.

- Jack
Thanks, Jack. A great tip.

Welcome George. We'll learn together. Waiting for the first camping trip in ours.
Tennessee/Greenest state in the land of the free
moonstruckblog.wordpress.com
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:53 AM   #16

Default Hello

My family just bought our 2004 24T back in October 2014. We bought it in southern California, and drove out to get it from our home in Utah. We had a great couple days getting it back home, and then immediately had to winterize it for storage, (it reminds me of the feeling I had as a young child at Christmas when I got my first bike and there was 3 feet of snow covering everything with nowhere to ride). The winter in Utah has been unusually mild which has made it tempting to de-winterize the trailer and go play, but have so far decided not to risk it.
The dealership we bought it from didn't know anything about it, but the previous owner that traded it in put together a really cool neatly organized binder, full of all the owner’s manuals, warranty information for all the different appliances, and some very helpful checklists as well. He also meticulously labeled most of the switches inside the trailer, which came in very handy as well.
The first night was one to remember, I'll spare you the details but share with you that we pulled into the campground just before sunset with no idea about the black switch (not labeled) being a 3 way. I was able to raise the top, but didn't figure out the switch until we were packing up to leave the next day. We stopped in Vegas and stayed in an RV park with full hook ups, so I wanted to test out the AC and refrigerator. I was able to figure out the refrigerator, but not the AC (the "what the heck is this cord for?" that comes out of a mouse hole above the sink in the bathroom) until I was packing up to leave the next day.
When we finally got it home, I hopped on the internet and started scouring the Hi-Lo Trailer Forum to get a feel for the community and see what I could learn about our trailer. I'm glad I did, this is a great forum full of amazing people and invaluable resources. One of the greatest tools I have run into here and I'd recommend to anyone with ~2000 or newer model are the videos from a manufacturers DVD that were posted by Sting32 that you can find on youtube. There are about 36 short videos all together, which cover instructions on everything from raising and lowering, winterizing, and operating all the different appliances. (http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-youtube-1233/)
My family and I are excited for the trips we have planned in spring and summer, and I'm excited about the prospect of hopefully meeting HTF community members in our travels. Though this is only my second post thus far, I feel as if I know most of the senior members as I've benefited from a lot of the knowledge they share.
Thank you all, and happy camping everyone.

2004 24T Towlite
2006 Toyota Sequoia
skibum75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:09 AM   #17

Welcom to the forum SKIBUM75. You should come to the HI-LO rally in WI in June. Look in the events section for more info.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote